Classic Impreza with 2.5 WRX engine question

SurferKid

Sunday Drivers
Hey Guys,

A friend of mine here in Cork was offered a classic Impreza aparently with the 2.5 WRX engine fitted. I wouldn't know much about those engines apart from your opinions here saying they blow head gaskets. What would be your opinion on such a car, how one could verify if it is a 2.5 engine (apart from trying to get the engine serial number checked @ Subaru dealer) and what $$ would you think such a car is worth if in good condition.

I have advised him to not bother with such a car as those engines does not seem to have a good reputation and who knows who did the conversion and how was it done. Also value wise I don't think such a car would be worth too much as classics have to be classics to be worth a bit.

Let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Lukasz

Engine code is stamped beside alternator on block. Should say ej25 if it is. Ive no idea what it could be worth. Depends on the shell its in I sapose. Heard of a 2.5 type r goin for around seven grand lately. Id prefer a two litre or a stroker kit

2.5 wrx isn't known for head gasket issues like the 2.5 sti .

Not as much pressure on wrx blocks .

I've read enough about the 2.5 over the last few years and wrx is far less affected

As above regarding regarding the block stamp so very easy tell if it's 2.0 or 2.5. Heard the same about the 2.5wrx engines less pressure on the head bolts compared to the Sti Engine

Ok, than I got it mixed up with a 2.5 STI engine. Is there a way of telling if the engine fitted is an STI or a WRX 2.5 ?? I'd suppose both would say ej25 on the block.
Luke

Think ej257 is sti block . Not 100% if wrx uses same code or not but think it might be ej255

Last edited:
I think it would only say ej25 on block. It will say ej255 or what ever after ej25 on the original vin plate. Im not sure but id presume dave out of sti tuning would tell you awful fast

Back