2012 vauxhall astra

DaveSleggy

Im going to look at one of these for my dad in the morning. Its a 1.4 vvt petrol 4 door one.

Some quick googling says theres some rear caliper issues and the bonnet can slam shut damaging paint or something, but does anyone know anything about these?

What to look out for ect

Its only 20 miles on the clock, uk import so seems fairly nice, well specd cruise control, park sensors, alloys and half leather.

Any help appreciated, and before you say i already tried to get him to buy a STi haha

Accident damage is the biggest problem with most uk cars at the moment here for some reason. The lack of new cars sold in Ireland between 2010/2013 being the biggest thing :thumbsup:. Don't know about Astra issues

Attachments

• CRW_7382.jpg
    CRW_7382.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 83
  • CRW_7387.jpg
    CRW_7387.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 81
  • CRW_7388.jpg
    CRW_7388.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 82
The diesel Astra gear boxes not great not sure has the petrol ones the same issue,

Thing was written off in the UK luckily my dad got the uk reg it used to be on and i did a check "this car has been damaged beyone economic repair"

When questioned seller acted dumb, so steer clear of the red 2012 astra on Donedeal!!

Fooken p@#ck

Always pays to do ur homework????

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

A lot of dirt being brought in from the UK alright.
See it every day... and lots of them not even properly fixed either and look like Stevie Wonder was let loose on them.

As you said Joe: not enough stock available due to the recession has folks bringing stuff across, but due to the bad exchange rate it means it is mostly scrap that gets brought in as clean cars would end up being too dear.

Also see plenty of original Irish cars with accident damage and poor repairs by the way... so don't think that just because it was Irish it will be OK - you need to check every car properly.

Nearly makes more sense to buy a new car with all the pcp or low interest finance offers . At least ya know what your getting

Nearly makes more sense to buy a new car with all the pcp or low interest finance offers . At least ya know what your getting

You'd think that...... New cars get repaired too!
Check over any car if your spending big money, new or old.

I'm gonna head up north to look at a 1.6 petrol focus next weekend, 2011 sub 20k miles working out at about 9k before VRT.

I told my da to budget 12k to have it landed on irish plates down here and he was happy enough with that. I was trying to push a few extra grand to get the new shape that came out in late 2012 but he really doesn't want to go over 11 or 12k.

[quote name="tommy 555" post=504476]Nearly makes more sense to buy a new car with all the pcp or low interest finance offers . At least ya know what your getting[/QUOTE]<br />
<br />
You'd think that...... New cars get repaired too!<br />
Check over any car if your spending big money, new or old.

True. You'd be suprise the amount of unreged cars getting repairs. Alot of times transport damage.

Used to see alot of damaged new cars on transporters . A major transporter company had a depot in arklow near my dad's place . Would regularly see damaged cars going in to it.never coming back out though

My point was that a new car is nearly easier to have than a 3 or 4 year old car at this stage

Nothing wrong with a car that has had minor damage and was repaired properly...

... unfortunately loads of very poor jobs even when minor panel damage.

And then of course there are the really bad ones with bend chassis that are put back on the road without ever seeing a proper jig to straighten them.

Tommy has a point regarding a new car you have some come back if there do turn out to be issues and with the package offers it can be sort of affordable -- yet... depreciation can be a killer. In all fairness, right now it might make sense because in 2-3 years there will still be shortages in the 2nd hand car market (if Sterling rate stays like it is)... so a new car bought this year might not do too bad when traded or sold in 2-3 year... However that trend won't last if next year and the year after sees similar new car sales figures as 2015.

Any new car of any price is only worth half of what was paid for it after 3 years. Regardless of Milage being low or car in great Nick so a 30k car is 15k After 3 years is still a big hit

If I was ever going for fresh car best value is prob 6 or 12 month old cars. Demo's /ex rentals.

Pre reg the cars to buy close to zero miles Opel and other Manafactures a fan of this to make up regerstrations/Numbers.

Can be nice healthy discounts but remember ull usually gain on this then loose out on 0% or similar low Apr deal or pay full list and get a nice finance package

Demos can be ok and usually got sone nice spec as spec d by the sales man/dealer principle

Hire drives get the arse driven off em

Last edited:
Just thought id reply on here to let yous know how it all went.

Went up to belfast yesterday to a TRUST FORD dealer to look at a 2011 focus zetec 125 they had. Lovely sales guy not pushy or sh*te talking about the flux capacitor. Excellent main ford dealer service history all the way up to its 40500 miles.

Kicked the tyres poped the bonnet very little to check on these things (not that i know a lot) and took her out for a spin. Lovely smooth drive nice interior, cruise control bluetooth all the bells and whistles. Engine couldnt pull you out of bed! but that may have been to do with my enthusiastic run up in the STi haha.

But basically it came down to buying. I managed to get enough off the price to tax it for a year and pay some of the VRT. They threw a full tank of juice in her, and i managed to get them to honour the 3 month warranty that they tried to tell me was voided when i regester it in the republic (or south as they call it), as invoicing a southern address isnt possible.

Overall happy the Da is happy and more importantly the Ma is happy ha.

well done getting the few extra bits Dave :thumbsup:
im sure it was getting out of the STi that made it feel very underpowered :icon_grin:

Cheers colm, yeah im REALLY hoping they dont link the irish and uk licence systems or there will be a black bug up for sale soon and il be getting a bicycle ha.

Car managed 27mpg on the trip and i was caught in a tail back for a hour on the way back, fairly impressed with that.

Back