Should i?

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
So there might be an opportunity for me to buy a 2007 Audi s6 5.0 v10 saloon, from a work colleague. Its in good condition, standard spec apart from Milltek system, taxed until June, 61k miles, NCT until 2017, 4 new tyres fitted recently I could probably get it for just under 20k. Thoughts?

All well and good buying one but repairs are scary on them!
Main dealer for most stuff.

I would say no and your mad to even consider one.

Of this was in 6 months, I'd be saying no because I'd want it myself. I'm hoping to do the big powerful petrols sometime next year all going well.

Any pics of if?

I can hang onto the legacy for a back up car :)

They are a lot cheaper to maintain than the RS models, no DRC or any of that to worry about. Seems to be more reliable than Subaru's from what i can see!

Do it
Heart says yes yes yes wallet says no no no
I know a lad who had one for 6 months he wanted rid after about 2 weeks between petrol bills and c#nts following him home trying to whip it.
Only reason he had it for 6 months was because he couldn't sell it ended up giving it away
All that said I'd still have one just to say I had one ???? do it your only young once

6mpg to 10mpg city driving
@ 20k id say its well over priced too for a car that is pretty sale proof in Ireland
great barge and sound great with the pipes but its not a performance car
as such
id go isf well before one of these
its a BIG no from me and id listen to Graham as he works on em youll regret it
and loose probably 10-12 k in the few short months your in it beofre you decide to get out

Deal!!

If I could get it for 17k I might go for it. Don't sure I could bring myself to sell the legacy though!

That's purely financial, whether you need to keep it or sell it to fund the S6 and how much would you realistically get for it. And whether you have somewhere to store it.

I'd heed what Graham and Colm say but sometimes the heart rules the head and wallet. Other thing to consider with it is when spending so much on a 9 year old car, would you be better to spend the extra and get the model everyone really wants, I.e the RS version

Friend has an 06 S8 the last year.

No issues.

Nice car.

Average 15-16mpg city/motorway/foot down here and there

Nice car

I know the car well and it sounds unreal, certainly can move and he has the upgraded Bose sound system. Nice place to be, all led interior lighting.
It's not like the RS models, this one is very under the radar.

legacy as a second car ha love it, you will be one of these "there is no replacement for displacement" guys now

6mpg to 10mpg city driving
@ 20k id say its well over priced too for a car that is pretty sale proof in Ireland
great barge and sound great with the pipes but its not a performance car
as such
id go isf well before one of these
its a BIG no from me and id listen to Graham as he works on em youll regret it
and loose probably 10-12 k in the few short months your in it beofre you decide to get out

Define performance car Colm? 430bhp, lovely sound, high spec interior, would give most "performance" subaru's a run for the money!

I dont go rallying up the mountains in my legacy so i doubt i would do anything similar in my next car either. The grey ISF has been badly crashed and the white one is just the wrong side of 25k for me. Im sure the ISF is even more of a money pit due to the fact its rear wheel drive and has a very complex engine system. I can't see how i would loose 10-12k in a few month. Are you talking about running costs or re-sale value?

SO there is 2008 quattro diesel models going for about 13-15k so if i could get the 5.0 V10 model for about 17-18k its definitely worth it.

That's purely financial, whether you need to keep it or sell it to fund the S6 and how much would you realistically get for it. And whether you have somewhere to store it.

I'd heed what Graham and Colm say but sometimes the heart rules the head and wallet. Other thing to consider with it is when spending so much on a 9 year old car, would you be better to spend the extra and get the model everyone really wants, I.e the RS version

I would probably hang onto the legacy for a while at least as i have space to store two cars, and no huge financial need to sell if to fund the new car. And yeah, we would all love an RS6, but if you want to talk about running costs! they are the definition of a money pit! 2008 RS6 would be about 50k landed if not more from UK

I dont have any pictures of the one in question as it may not even go for sale since he has to get wifey approval on the new car before he get the new motor but must sell the s6 to make way for the new car. I could definitely use this to my advantage!

It sounds/looks exactly like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRE3b4uvYW8

Last edited:
Dan it looks to me you have your mind made up already, do it, do it

I havent 100% but i think the positives out weigh the negatives to be honest. He said 19k if i can get him down a bit more it might be worth it. Maybe ill see if he will give me a loan of it for a day or two to get some proper feel for it. I have driven it a few times and every time it was great. And any main issues or large service items have been replaced recently(coil packs replaced under recall notice, spark plugs, some o2 sensors, brake discs/pads and tyres)

I havent 100% but i think the positives out weigh the negatives to be honest. He said 19k if i can get him down a bit more it might be worth it. Maybe ill see if he will give me a loan of it for a day or two to get some proper feel for it. I have driven it a few times and every time it was great. And any main issues or large service items have been replaced recently(coil packs replaced under recall notice, spark plugs, some o2 sensors, brake discs/pads and

Life is too short so if you can afford it and the depreciation why not, personally id buy m5 but each to their own, decisions decisions

Nice car. But if I was paying that tax it would have to be an rs6 plus the rs will hold 90% of its value Over the s6 . As there are hard sold Being honest trade in value I'd say would lucky to get 10/15k . If it's what you want go for it Dan :thumbsup:

In this country, at this moment in time... the 5.0 petrol would be worth LESS than the 3.0Tdi version.

That's how it is... regardless of sellers' feelings etc... 20k would be mad money.

@15k worth considering if you really want to live the experience etc... and might mean you can get out without losing your shirt (though probably still would lose 4-5k in the year).

Was talking to a guy who just sold an '05 S6 estate and got 7k after 8 months of trying to sell originally asking 10k (just to give you a point of reference).

If it goes wrong it is expensive... but... would be nice bus to have for a bit and stuff memories are made off Dan. Just make sure you create an "exit strategy" -- with other words don't overpay so that you can afford to part ways in 6-12 months.

In this country, at this moment in time... the 5.0 petrol would be worth LESS than the 3.0Tdi version.

That's how it is... regardless of sellers' feelings etc... 20k would be mad money.

@15k worth considering if you really want to live the experience etc... and might mean you can get out without losing your shirt (though probably still would lose 4-5k in the year).

Was talking to a guy who just sold an '05 S6 estate and got 7k after 8 months of trying to sell originally asking 10k (just to give you a point of reference).

If it goes wrong it is expensive... but... would be nice bus to have for a bit and stuff memories are made off Dan. Just make sure you create an "exit strategy" -- with other words don't overpay so that you can afford to part ways in 6-12 months.

He mentioned 19k to me today, but im sure there is more wiggle room in that so he can justify the new car he is after. He said he was offered 20k for trade in against the new car, i would take that with a pinch of salt though.

Exit strategy would be keep the legacy :) I doubt its a long term car but one as mentioned a nice one to have for a while. yes a rs6 would be ideal but look at how much they are going for, weak euro doesnt help since none for sale over here, and maintenance costs on any RS models is crazy compared to the s6.

Considering i was looking at a c63 amg at the start of the year, i think this is a good compromise!

Would you go back down the years a bit and get an rs as it's the 1 to have really . I know what your saying about the price. I think The s6 would be a great car at the right money probley 15k

Back