vibration in pedals and steering wheel

chris139ryan

Octane Boostaholics
Hi All I have this problem with my 535d the past 2-3 months. I have replaced the following the try and I still have the vibration

antiroll bar bushes (needed)
drop links at the front (needed)
4 new tyres
4 new wheels (spiders were buckled, was convinced this was the problem)
Wheels balanced in 2 different places.

Whats happening.

I am getting a vibration up through the steering wheel and pedals everywhere I go no matter what speed. Its not the brake discs as it doesnt happen when I brake. Its at its worse over 100km/h.

When I go over a speed bump my steering wheel will shudder to the right yet no movement from the rears through the steering wheel. Could they be connected ? After the car comes off the bump I can feel a more harsh vibration. My front shocks were replaced about 3-4 months ago. If these weren't installed properly would this cause the above ?

I have asked the 2 places to check everything on the front suspension to see can they find anything and everytime its the same. All looks perfect, no movement anywhere.

Its really starting to annoy me as I cant enjoy driving it with this f'ing vibration.

Any suggestions would be great.

I had same issue with scooby. Ended up being the disks. Could be bearings, track rods but id presume a mechanic would spot that. Might not spot warpped disks tho...

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

My dad had same car with same issue, it ended up being d discs, any vibration at all under breaking?

The vibration started in his car after he fitted new discs and pads, one of d new discs was warped, he replaced them and perfect since
Hope it helps

Only way to rule out the discs is put a dial gauge on them . I have been tortured by something similar on my car .
If you don't get this done you cannot rule out the discs .
Only other thing is the hub bearing or track rod end or ball joint inner or a ball joint on a control arm

Last edited:
Ya thats the best way. Watched edd doing it on wheeler dealers. Great man.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Yes wheels were brand new. Im not getting any vibrations when braking but will get the discs checked the weekend.

Will get all the other components checked which you mentioned but I have had the whole front suspension checked twice and theres no movement any where. Would the parts you mentioned generally move if warn ?

Yup they would. A mechanic should know if bearings, track rods ect are fecked. A warped disk doesn't always make vibrations when breaking

Id say so. Best way to check is with dial gauge as baz said or if u could borrow a good set of disks before buying a set

Easiest way to check the discs is on a rolling brake tester, most garages have them might charge you €20 to use it, it will show up a warped disc straight away

Yes wheels were brand new. Im not getting any vibrations when braking but will get the discs checked the weekend.

Will get all the other components checked which you mentioned but I have had the whole front suspension checked twice and theres no movement any where. Would the parts you mentioned generally move if warn ?

The wheels were brand new ...
Ok if the were copy's and not genuine BMW did they come with spigot rings?

I don't think they came with spigot rings. I don't think the new wheels are the problem as the problem was there when the genuine spiders were on the car too

Without seeing the car,driving it and inspecting it,can't really say what it is for definite,In my job we sell a lot of bmw's so would usually get to the bottom of issues quite quickly as the cars are for sale .
You won't get your answer on the Internet , 535 is a serious motor and needs to be 100%. If this takes time to diagnose you will need to give the car to someone

I done a 06 530d and the engine mount bolts on rh side were sheared, it soundedlike the sub frame was loose

Back