99 B4 - Fix it or forget it?

drifterex

Sunday Drivers
Back in July while I was in my local Tesco, someone reversed into my B4, scratched the entire side of the car, and made me realise my quarter panel was actually quite rusty. Long story short, good bit of damage done, insurance company not interested, no cctv, Guards not interested, usual buzz. So I've declared it off the road at the minute as I don't know what to do? I've had the car years and love it, but realistically it could do with a full respray along with getting the welding done, and the other side quarter panel looks a bit crusty too, but that will probably cost more than the car is worth. My head is wrecked because I don't know what to do, and looking on donedeal for the same money I'd be spending I'm more than likely going to get a ball of s#it that had the heart and soul driven out of it, whereas at least with my own car, it's a known quantity, so I'm not buying someone else's problem. Any advice lads?

Last edited:
First of all sorry to hear about that, and typical irish insurance if you had have said you had whiplash youd get 10k no questions asked!

Then theres the money aspect, i imagine having the car years that it doesnt owe you much if anything, they way i would look at it this. Is this the car i want on my driveway? If i put money into it that i wont see back will it bother me? Do i have the money to put into it? Are there other cars out there that would cost less?

Basically i had a B4 thast needed a lot of work a few years ago but i figured for me that getting rid was my best move because i had always wanted an impreza sti and the market on b4s wasnt to strong for a seller.

As you said you would probably be putting in more than the cars worth to get it right but if that makes you happy then is it not worth it? If youre planning to keep it for a good few years then why not use this as an excuse to get it absolutely mint, and maybe some cheeky mods while your at it ;)

Yeah, the B4 doesn't owe me anything, but early last year I decided to buy a 1973 beetle (always wanted one) so that's after tying me up money wise for the next 2 1/2 years. Nct is up in Feb so would need to get something done by then. I would like to change for something newer but I'd need to have 8-9k to get something decent. Aaaahhh, I dunno. Might just get it fixed and forget about the respray and put it back on the road.

You could go down the budget route and tcut the scratches and buy 2 rear quarters and put them in and get her back on the road for reasonable money, esp if your putting money into the beetle. 2 project cars will quickly drain your bank account.

How bad is the rust?? Have u pulled panels ect if it's bad better off rid of it fighting a uphill battle that ull never win

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
How bad is the rust?? Have u pulled panels ect if it's bad better off rid of it fighting a uphill battle that ull never win

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The rust in the lip of the wheel arch, and the rear bumper mount too. Had my panel beater look at it and he says it's definitely fixable, needs 1-1 1/2 inches cut away, but just at the back, the front of the arch is solid. Was considering the bolt on jdm arches for a while and maybe now would be the time.

You could go down the budget route and tcut the scratches and buy 2 rear quarters and put them in and get her back on the road for reasonable money, esp if your putting money into the beetle. 2 project cars will quickly drain your bank account.
Yeah, the beetle was perfect when I bought it but ended up changing brakes, fitting coilovers, and a few Porsche bits, so that ate up a good bit of cash. 2 project cars will kill me, but the alternative is drive a boring day to day car, and I can't really do thar either. Would love to have the money to get a BL5 legacy and put a 2.2 subaru in the back of the beetle. Would be like a pig in s#it.

Last edited:
If it's just the arches it could be worth fixing... But check the sills and down by the rear door/rear arch as once it sets in there you are into big money.

depends on the overall condition of the car really. if its a healthy car otherwise then it would be a shame to give up on it. if it was a case of it needs a t-belt and engine is a bit iffy or whatever than obviously i'd re-think... but if its a genuine car and that's its only real issue then I would go for it. I know a panel beater that could do a nice nixer job on it if your interested. located near blessington.

depends on the overall condition of the car really. if its a healthy car otherwise then it would be a shame to give up on it. if it was a case of it needs a t-belt and engine is a bit iffy or whatever than obviously i'd re-think... but if its a genuine car and that's its only real issue then I would go for it. I know a panel beater that could do a nice nixer job on it if your interested. located near blessington.

Yeah, never had any serious bother other than usual wear and tear stuff. My panel beater will do it, just a matter of making the decision.

What I don't want to happen is what happened with my Skyline. I sold it a few years ago, and they have tripled in value since. Don't want to let the legacy go for pennies and find out they go up in value in a few years if I did decide to keep it.

Last edited:
Back