Renua proposes plan to scrap motor tax

scoobycolm

ISDC Club Member
First party to ever even mention it I think
Not really a fan of Lucinda and co. but have to commend them for this one in fairness.
At least someone is starting to talk about it so maybe at some stage in our life time it may happen.
I think they would get more revenue in from it anyway.

Renua proposes plan to scrap motor tax

Motor tax should be abolished and replaced with a pay-at-the-pumps charge which would ultimately save motorists and the State money, according to Renua Ireland.
The proposal will form part of the party’s pre-budget submission, which it and other opposition parties will launch this week. Fianna Fáil will propose reducing tax on savings, helping low and middle-income workers by widening the USC bands and special tax credits for the self-employed.
Renua believes the current motor tax system is archaic, inefficient, and costly to operate. It wants to replace motor taxes with a direct levy on fuel that is collected at source. This would add 3c to the price of a litre of petrol and 4c to diesel. The levy would be capped at a fair rate for hauliers and public transport licenses.
Party strategists believe the change would encourage people to drive more efficient vehicles. Furthermore, they claim possibly up to 40% of motor tax income presently goes on administration costs.

“This is a policy that combines green principles with smaller government,” said a party source.
Renua Ireland leader Lucinda Creighton will unveil the budget plans today. They are expected to include plans for a flat rate of tax at 23% — if the party was put in power.

Source : http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/renua-proposes-plan-to-scrap-motor-tax-357500.html

Noonan had his say too saying it is not a runner that it would cost 20c per litre to do it that way, I would love it to be like that as lads could have a weekend car then

wagon dec

Mad that admin cost in the tax is 40%
so you would only need 60% of the current take in
Its a crazy system

Just more or less flat tax or it like the UK and introduce a pay monthly option like the UK and that could work for everyone....including vw owners

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Would prevent the take VW owners from having to take out a small "VW loan" using your house as collateral to pay the emissions based road tax

Renua could propose to do whatever they want to gain seats because no matter what, they won't have a majority to get into government and actually implement these "policies".

a wishful science fiction thinking
they brought water charges because they can't
fix their own mess and we think they will abolish motor tax
LOL

Came here hoping to see something of good news and imagine myself driving OBK 2.5 without worry of stupid 2k per year for tax... :/

I wish this happens.... or at least similar to UK...

You guys say no hope this will ever happen?

Came here hoping to see something of good news and imagine myself driving OBK 2.5 without worry of stupid 2k per year for tax... :/

I wish this happens.... or at least similar to UK...

You guys say no hope this will ever happen?
Sorry for being stupid but what's an obk?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Back