Gardaí look for €50 spot fines for drivers failing to carry emergency packs

I did the RSA survey a couple months back on the issue. Ended up quitting out of it because the questions were just ridiculous and repetitive tripe. Hard to believe someone got paid to put such muck together. It should be phased in that all cars carry a basic first aid kit and a first aid course should be part of the license process as it is in some European countries.

I'd definitely recommend doing an occupational first aid course and keeping it refreshed every two years. Nice thing to have even I you never have to use it.

I have an extinguisher beside me in the front, battery pack and a rope. Should maybe add a couple more things.

Have a first aid kit and high vis in the van and car all the time . As Graham says it's common sense stuff to carry .

It's a good idea but issuing on the spot fines is taking it 2 far imo . Just another revenue collection service imo

As said above seems like common sense to me. I've always had some or all of those items in my car.

As has already been said, it should be mandatory but they are going the wrong way about introducing these fines.

Why not offer 50 quid discount on your tax or insurance if ya carry them .

Would seem a better way of getting compliance .

It's the first I have heard of it.. Lol maybe I have been asleep for a few weeks... Having first aid kits in a car is a good idea. But the fine is a bit of a money racket..

All kids in secondary school should receive first aid and fire safety training as part of the curriculum.. Would serve them better than Irish... They might use it some time lol

defo common sense to have it in the car... and yeah grand if there's a fine for not having it.
does anyone know about the high-vis jackets and triangles being mandatory also?

defo common sense to have it in the car... and yeah grand if there's a fine for not having it.
does anyone know about the high-vis jackets and triangles being mandatory also?

As far as I know they are included too.have to be in car.
If anyone has been to France in the last few years it's all standard kit to be kept in cars 24/7.

As far as I know they are included too.have to be in car.
If anyone has been to France in the last few years it's all standard kit to be kept in cars 24/7.

yeah last time I heard these were all mandatory too.
makes sense, I have all those basics plus fire ex, tow rope, jump leads and gloves/10mm/rag

Well, common sense for some, in Czech republic, having Valid and not-expired first aid kid is usually first thing that cops goes after. Once you dont have it, wham, points on your licence and fines. 0 ****s given you dont have it, your fault.

But mentality of cops in Czech republic and in Ireland is vastly different. In Czech republic, if cops stops you, they HAVE to find something and they WILL find something if they want to(or have to, they basically have to fit into pre-defined quotas, as to put 10 fines over a day, if they dont, they are being investigated etc)...

never seen it in here, cops in here are generally fine and nice. I was being followed by cops car yesterday, and I was doing 60 in 50 zone and they still were going faster than me in the other line. This just amazes me, in Czech, they would stop me just because of car I am driving, would do loads of tests if I am drunk, check if my exhaust isnt too loud etc etc etc.

Back