Spotted this on DoneDeal Thread-No Bad Mouthing cars for sale is Allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Horrible country to sell cars in
should be a donedeal with a large buy in charge (refundable upon purchasing )to avoid ball bags :icon_hang:

I've said it before but just cause something costs say 20k to import from japan, it doesn't mean that someone will pay the same for a local car. for me importing meant taking a hit, altough ended up bigger than expected because of vrt and my car needed a clutch immediately.

market is small here and sti is relatively expensive. i would nt pay jap price for a car available here unless it was very fresh
in fact i wouldnt have paid what i paid for my hawkeye had i known how much it would cost,

very few lada willing to import from japan theae days so pricing cars against what it would coat to import doesn't rwally make sense

:plusone:

A lot of folks on there that need a swift kick to the head alright...
... but what are you gonna do... it is probably the busiest / highest traffic website to sell stuff on...

Horrible country to sell cars in
should be a donedeal with a large buy in charge (refundable upon purchasing )to avoid ball bags :icon_hang:

I've said it before but just cause something costs say 20k to import from japan, it doesn't mean that someone will pay the same for a local car. for me importing meant taking a hit, altough ended up bigger than expected because of vrt and my car needed a clutch immediately.

market is small here and sti is relatively expensive. i would nt pay jap price for a car available here unless it was very fresh
in fact i wouldnt have paid what i paid for my hawkeye had i known how much it would cost,

TOTALLY DO NOT GET THIS

(sorry for the caps, but genuinely do not understand this and looking to understand this point of view that I see cropping up time and time again, so please do not take offence and help me get to grips with this)

Question:
Why would anyone ever want to pay more for a car that:
  1. they have not seen,
  2. cannot test drive / evaluate for themselves,
  3. of which the history may be well dodgy (regards servicing / crash history, etc) and you will only find out once landed here from Japan and costs already incurred,
  4. on which you need to pay VRT (which is a lottery, a very uncertain unknown amount - which either way is only going one way and that is up up up),
  5. which will always need quite a few yoyos spending on to do underseal, map for Irish fuel and put EU approved tyres on, and that is the minimum you need to allow for to get it on the road here - and then there might be other unforeseen costs because you could not evaluate the car yourself (like Turbopaul's clutch replacement for example)
  6. and comes with a load of hassle of organising all that work + the purchase + shipping + collection by trailer from docks (or TAN # plus trade plates) + get it to NCT for VRT inspection AND NCT (again on trailer if you do not have TAN # plus trade plates)

When compared with a car already here in Ireland and on Irish plates (whether IE, or previous UK / JDM import)... that you Can drive and properly evaluate before you purchase and doesn't bring half the hassle as importing one yourself ??

Any insight appreciated to clear the above up... as whichever way I look at it I would say surely the car that is already on Irish plates would be worth at least as much, if not more, as you can have "certainty" before you hand over money, plus it is a whole lot less hassle. - What am I missing here??

Have to agree 100% with Keadeen here. It's all those points mentioned above that are making and will make any Irish registered car get more and more expensive, with VRT nowadays on the top of the list. In my case it came to: cheaper with a lot of hassle and unknown or pay a bit more but drive 2 hours, test the car and bring it home (or leave it there).

TOTALLY DO NOT GET THIS

(sorry for the caps, but genuinely do not understand this and looking to understand this point of view that I see cropping up time and time again, so please do not take offence and help me get to grips with this)

Question:
  1. they have not seen,
  3. of which the history may be well dodgy (regards servicing / crash history, etc) and you will only find out once landed here from Japan and costs already incurred,
  4. on which you need to pay VRT (which is a lottery, a very uncertain unknown amount - which either way is only going one way and that is up up up),
  5. which will always need quite a few yoyos spending on to do underseal, map for Irish fuel and put EU approved tyres on, and that is the minimum you need to allow for to get it on the road here - and then there might be other unforeseen costs because you could not evaluate the car yourself (like Turbopaul's clutch replacement for example)
  6. and comes with a load of hassle of organising all that work + the purchase + shipping + collection by trailer from docks (or TAN # plus trade plates) + get it to NCT for VRT inspection AND NCT (again on trailer if you do not have TAN # plus trade plates)

When compared with a car already here in Ireland and on Irish plates (whether IE, or previous UK / JDM import)... that you Can drive and properly evaluate before you purchase and doesn't bring half the hassle as importing one yourself ??

Any insight appreciated to clear the above up... as whichever way I look at it I would say surely the car that is already on Irish plates would be worth at least as much, if not more, as you can have "certainty" before you hand over money, plus it is a whole lot less hassle. - What am I missing here??

didn't explain ny points very clearly. what i am saying is:

1. i wouldn't have bought car from japan if i knew final price, it cost about 3k more than expected cause of vrt and clutch going
2. i think very few are willing to buy jap imports cause they're simply too expensive
3. cause of 2 i dont think it makes sense to price off what irt would cost to buy in japan j

i agree that if you were willing to pay jap import price then it would make sense to buy here as less hassle and more certainty over price and you can look at car before buy I

point again is jap imports are currently very expensive so too high for equivalent car here

must say i did get a kick out of buying at auction and picking up a fresh car at the docks but was it worth 4- 5k, probably not

TOTALLY DO NOT GET THIS

Question:
  1. they have not seen,

just a few things
history of a irish car may be dodgy - or dodgy from japan and covered up since
why would you underseal a fresh import ? id walk away from any car with underseal , should be waxoiled at most
eu approved tyres? what do you think they drive on over there? have you saw the brands irish prople fit to cars?
you would swear every car listed on donedeal was mapped for irish fuel?

irish people in general are to scabby to maintain a car properly and in general if you do your homework and buy a good grade you can get a better car in japan , the vrt has made this a bad option fianancially now sadly

there are pro and con to both and personally i would look here before importing but i just had to mention those points ,
again nothing against yourself , but i see lads come up with these crazy figures you need to spend on imports to have them ready for road that lads throw around with maps / tyres / timing belts etc that dont apply to all
iv imported cars with new timing belt kits / fresh serviced / top of range tyres etc

Rob, imo you got a bargain.

I understand vrt is a **** but it's not against the law for Ireland to charge vrt, I once tough that was the case but it's not.

You got a car you can't buy over here, you also got possible the last built proper wrc cars for the road that is usuable and is not mad to tax.

Come 2020 in only two years time with the emissions laws coming in we will be paying 50% to vrt any kind of fast car.

Your car will double in price to what you payed for it in a few years time.

No offence taken... nor any meant by me either... just trying to get my head around why people would pay more for importing an equivalent Japanese car over an Irish one. Or why people talk about this mythical "fresh car from Japan" being the best thing since sliced bread.

Agree that an Irish car could be dodgy too (sure any car might be), but if here you can inspect it properly and have a good chance of knowing it was bad before you bought it (so you could just walk away). Cannot do that with the Japanese import... you pay, and then you pray it is ok when it gets here.

Not saying not to get on one in Japan, but whole lot more risk in it as you cannot inspect properly yourself - plus a load of hassle compared to buying one already here... and yes there is money to be spent to get it properly ready on the road here. So the way the VRT is, the work always needed, the auction and shipping fees, and the currency rates etc... importing from Japan at the moment is too expensive for the most part. - And yet for some reason there's folks out there that would pay more to do just that?

So... when importing works out cheaper when all said and done I totally get why you'd import from Japan... or... if you are after something really rare that simply cannot be got here... again totally get that too. But, if there are cars like it here already that are cheaper, why on earth would anyone take on the extra risk and cost? --> And it is this I was trying to get my head around - why do people think a car they imported from Japan is better than the a similar car sitting in the next town over on Irish plates (maybe also originally a JDM but already on Irish plates).

Yes, many people here are too mean to mind their cars properly. But... there are good cars too that have been well minded. So, a well minded Irish car (and for argument lets just say it is a JDM originally that has been in Ireland for 5 years so that at least the spec is the same) surely is every bit as good as a well minded Japanese car imported today - so why would a lad pay more for the Japanese one (that's what has me puzzled)?

To clarify on the tyres:
Japanese tyres - without the E mark on them - will not pass NCT... so my comment about tyres was not related to buying "performance" tyres, but getting ones on the car that would pass NCT (which must have the EU approval E mark on them).

Mapping clarification:
I would not personally ever run a JDM turbo petrol car on the JDM map.
Seen too many go pop before you can say "buy a new engine".
So when importing yourself, you'd surely get it mapped for our crap fuel to save the cost of an engine failure.

No offence taken... nor any meant by me either... just trying to get my head around why people would pay more for importing an equivalent Japanese car over an Irish one. Or why people talk about this mythical "fresh car from Japan" being the best thing since sliced bread.

Agree that an Irish car could be dodgy too (sure any car might be), but if here you can inspect it properly and have a good chance of knowing it was bad before you bought it (so you could just walk away). Cannot do that with the Japanese import... you pay, and then you pray it is ok when it gets here.

Not saying not to get on one in Japan, but whole lot more risk in it as you cannot inspect properly yourself - plus a load of hassle compared to buying one already here... and yes there is money to be spent to get it properly ready on the road here. So the way the VRT is, the work always needed, the auction and shipping fees, and the currency rates etc... importing from Japan at the moment is too expensive for the most part. - And yet for some reason there's folks out there that would pay more to do just that?

So... when importing works out cheaper when all said and done I totally get why you'd import from Japan... or... if you are after something really rare that simply cannot be got here... again totally get that too. But, if there are cars like it here already that are cheaper, why on earth would anyone take on the extra risk and cost? --> And it is this I was trying to get my head around - why do people think a car they imported from Japan is better than the a similar car sitting in the next town over on Irish plates (maybe also originally a JDM but already on Irish plates).

Yes, many people here are too mean to mind their cars properly. But... there are good cars too that have been well minded. So, a well minded Irish car (and for argument lets just say it is a JDM originally that has been in Ireland for 5 years so that at least the spec is the same) surely is every bit as good as a well minded Japanese car imported today - so why would a lad pay more for the Japanese one (that's what has me puzzled)?

To clarify on the tyres:
Japanese tyres - without the E mark on them - will not pass NCT... so my comment about tyres was not related to buying "performance" tyres, but getting ones on the car that would pass NCT (which must have the EU approval E mark on them).

Mapping clarification:
I would not personally ever run a JDM turbo petrol car on the JDM map.
Seen too many go pop before you can say "buy a new engine".
So when importing yourself, you'd surely get it mapped for our crap fuel to save the cost of an engine failure.

No offense taken or I don’t mean any either

I was looking locally, a few nice cars came up when wasn’t in a position to buy, I missed a couple(here and uk) cause others were quicker to act so getting in Japan for me was largely driven by not being able to get what I wanted here. despite clutch going I think I got a good car and I’d trust in the auction grading system, I did pay for a visual inspection which meant not buying a car that came up, but I agree there is probably more risk buying versus here

On your point on mapping was talking to a guy I used work with who bought an import, got talking about mapping and he said he just hadn’t got round to it, once he heard how much it cost he decided against it so I would say not everyone would do what you’d expect.

Each to their own at the end of the day. Ultimately I’m glad I have imported although the Vrt episode took some of the sheen off it. Would think very hard about doing it if I could get what I wanted locally.

Good points Paul...

... and in your case I get it... you wanted something you could not get locally (at the time).
Had something local come up (and you did look) you'd have happily bought it if it suited you...

... would you have paid the same for similar spec and clean car as you have now had it been local?

-> or do you feel importing one is worth a premium on top of what a local one is worth?

Trying to get to whether 2 similar cars are worth the same money, or whether people will knowingly pay more for a car they import and hence offer less for a car already on these shores (nearly like a penalty being applied to an Irish registered car)?

What are peoples' views on that?
And does anyone have specific ideas as to why someone would pay less for an Irish registered car (equally cared for, and same spec, JDM etc)?

I would be of the opinion that it would be better to see it in the flesh rather than take a gamble with an auction but there definitely wouldn’t be some of the fine cars that are in the country by that kind of thinking and there is some really nice ones that have come in that we all hear about but nobody wants to say they bought a lemon until they at least shift it on. But as I was always looking for years (dreaming) the 2.0 l jdm stuff is better built parts spec etc than the uk Irish spec ones we get here so maybe that’s one big factor for fresh import
Me I bought what I could afford at the time put a few bob into it mainly service future maintenance but have to say really enjoy getting out in it and the way we are we always like to think of the next one with better spec but from days out with lads there ain’t much splitting them and we all get what we want from them

Jdm cars are usually way cleaner underneath that there uk or Irish counterparts also if talking about a hawk it’s 2.0 v 2.5 so it’s not something that available here .

Me id never buy a car with out seeing it in the flesh as the grading system in Japan can be very hit and miss which wasn’t always the case

Good points Paul...

... and in your case I get it... you wanted something you could not get locally (at the time).
Had something local come up (and you did look) you'd have happily bought it if it suited you...

... would you have paid the same for similar spec and clean car as you have now had it been local?

-> or do you feel importing one is worth a premium on top of what a local one is worth?

Trying to get to whether 2 similar cars are worth the same money, or whether people will knowingly pay more for a car they import and hence offer less for a car already on these shores (nearly like a penalty being applied to an Irish registered car)?

What are peoples' views on that?
And does anyone have specific ideas as to why someone would pay less for an Irish registered car (equally cared for, and same spec, JDM etc)?

Finding hard to answer the question. If the cars were same condition and had same history etc. logically you should pay the same possibility more for one already here.

I can see why others might pay a premium for a car available locally that you can look at.

No conclusion other than I wish I paid less for the one I bought and I wish they were cheaper here so I could buy a special edition as well!

I have bought cars sight unseen a few times (in UK), I guess I always had the option to walk when picking up but I never did, was stuck with the Japanese car regardless so undoubtedly there is a big risk buying at auction, reduced somewhat by visual inspection and grading ( I think you have to go for the 4b or better or you are increasing risk a good bit)

i would only import rare gc8 models i cant get here
the version 11 ra i imported is prob the best in the country or very close , any that i viewed here were hen houses for lotto numbers
i imported a version 1 sti - never saw another here for sale
i imported a version 11 sti ra limited - again none here to buy
i imported a 2dr limted because it was cheaper than buying here at the time
very hard get early gc8 models here in any shape

go look at the gc8s on donedeal and then look at a good fresh import - its night and day
rust and bad repair work / crash damage etc
the newage stuff i wouldnt bother import as plenty about to chose from personally

i agree totally on it been pointless importing a car thats easy to get here
in my case top standard gc8s just were not available
luckily i got them a few years ago because now there vrt is gone up , but also theres none to buy even in japan
i look every night in japan for version 1 / 2 /3 imprezas and in last few months there has been next to none to bid on

to be fair same applies to newage albeit 7 years behind but they all will go the same way
JDM cars for the win if you have the extra breads as long as a good high grade genuine car
but aint cheap but some are in as new condition wich you simply cannot get in Ireland ?

Sorry to see them (GC8) dry up in Jap land... I suppose it was inevitably going to happen before long.
Hope a few of the remaining ones do make it to here so there will be some around our roads for a while yet.

FYI... I imported my Hawk from the UK (so nothing at all against importing from wherever you find the right car at the right price).

Originally was looking for a GC8 here (as missed my v3 STI) as a weekend car, but could not find one in decent condition at reasonable money. There were two clean ones here at the time after months of looking (and looked at plenty of dogs, for what seemed middle of the road money till you saw them and added the cost of putting them right), but the prices were mental in 2012-2013 and the market is only now catching up with what those sellers were looking for 5-6 years ago. The good ones in the UK were also (too) strong money.
In the end I had to rejig the whole idea. I put a few thousand on top and bought a 6 year old Hawk with very low mileage and one owner via someone I know in Prodrive. It was more than I planned to spend on a weekend car for a GC8, so instead decided to use it as a daily. I would have preferred to get one here, but at the time there were no Hawkeyes for sale here and then the one I bought popped up via someone I know is genuine - "and the rest is history" as they say.

Do love my Hawk... but... still really miss the classic (so much lighter on its feet, and more of an "event" every time I got in).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back