The 2015 subaru sti is still not living up to its name

I found few bits that I do agree, but in general, that article is just plain wrong.

STI was never about the speed. It was always about rallying, and in FIA rallying, there always(since group B was banned) was limitation on HP engines could produce. And thats what these cars were built for, being reliable on that HP and having the best handling characteristics possible.

Giving the STI model more HP means, they cannot compete in WRC(which they aint in years anyways for tons of reasons) but at least they are still competing in rally america etc.

Yes, sure, faster STI from factory would be nice, but why? Ppl buying STI knows that they can and will mod them, they are buying them because they are like LEGO. Sure I could go ahead and buy 50-80k pounds 500hp car, but thats not what subaru owners ever wanted. Subaru owners always wanted to buy that piece of LEGO.

Subaru as company knows exactly what their long term customers wants and needs, thats why their numbers are growing every year, as they are getting more and more happy always returning customers(this unfortunatelly doesnt apply in EU, mainly Ireland, because of stupid EUR limitations and taxes).

To completely shred that article in pieces, lets have a look at the successes of the new STI

Rally of america - winning one race after another, yes David Higgins is a beast, and he knows what hes doing, but the car allows him to push even further
Nurburgring 24h endurance - sweet 19th place, beating cars like Nissan GTR, Carreras, and buch of others GT3 cars... I mean, cmon, really does STI need more than 300hp?

Last edited:
With the opposition doing so much more subaru is way behind the game in terms of power fit and finish and more and more importantly emissions . The same ej25 motor been fitted for 10 years now . That's what ya call flogging a dead horse . It's dirty it's thirsty and while I'm calling a spade a spade it's unreliable .

The thing of a 300 hp limit in wrc cars doesn't apply . Subaru ain't in wrc any more so what's stopping them building 350 or 400 hp cars to compete with the m3s and amgs of this world .anyway if subaru was serious about rally like vw and citroen are they would build dedicated rally cars . How many 300 hp polo's or fiestas are on the roads . Zero . And they are the wrc cars to compete with .

Tommy, WRC is bollox and everyone knows it. That competition was corrupted years ago and there is absolutely no point in competing in there. There has been some improvements and bits and pieces done by some companies, and other companies were complaining against them because those didnt work on their cars and they could not compete. So they paid huge amount of money to the referees to change rules and ban those(one example, subaru bringing the small roof wing, that did actually work very well, hatchbacks could not mount it and get same benefit out of it, and Citroen was complaining about it, few weeks later it got banned)

I sure agree with you in terms that Subaru is very very behind in terms of Emissions, and even the HP could get boosted up a bit, but lets have a look now at whats happening with WRX vs STI.

So the new WRX got as first the new FA engine. That engine is performing very good, but since its a new engine, they didnt want to risk putting it into STI as of yet due many different faults possibly appearing and damaging the name.

so they put it in WRX, yes the engine has its problems, heard stories where it failed after 20k miles etc. WRX in general is more affordable car and majority of customers will get WRX - that allows subaru to test that engine in broader area without damaging STI name. It will probably take another generation till it gets to the point that they fit it into STI.

Also another point here being modifications. FA engine made its appearance in BRZ and we can already see amazing things being done to it, from being supercharged, turbocharged etc. Then we have the WRX, which can with simple Stage 1 map produce same amount of power as STI. That is the future of STI, and it will make its debut, when the time is right.

On contrary to this, I agree that since Mitsubishi discontinued EVO, Subaru doesnt really have direct competition, and as we all know, war is what pushes technical advancement forward. So I am really hoping now for the new Focus to be kickass and push Subaru into pushing the production and making it even better.

They need to make a smaller engined car aswell as emissions
Theyve missed a huge sector for car sales there I think

Back