Penalty point scenario- Help needed

garry2682

Sunday Drivers
Hi Lads/Ladies,

I need some advise from people that this might actually have happened too as well.

The story goes as follows. I have a car registered in the mother in laws name to obtain a parking permit in the city. I gave a loan of the car to a mate back from OZ and wouldn't ya know it he got caught by a speed van. He is gone back to OZ and the fine is now here in the mother in laws name. He has supplied me with his name, address and Oz licence no etc to transfer the fine to him.

Does anybody know categorically if he has to pay the fine? Will it be sent to him in Oz. I don't care if I have to even pay the fine but I obviously i don't want any repercussions for the mother in law. (Imagine what Xmas dinner could be like if that happens)

Please reply to the thread if you have 1st hand experience of how this works as I need a solution asap.

Cheers

http://www.garda.ie/FAQ/Default.aspx?FAQCategory=35

I own the vehicle but was not driving the vehicle at the time, what do I do?• The Statement of Nomination of Name and Address of Driver section (see reverse of notice) must be completed by the owner of the vehicle with the name and address of the driver of the vehicle on the date of the offence. The completed notice should be returned to the Fixed Charge Processing Office within 28 daysof the date of the notice. No payment should be returned at this time as a new notice will be issued to the driver. It is the responsibility of the owner, not the driver, to complete the notice

Signature of registered owner - The only signature permitted here is that of the registered owner. Please note a company stamp is not sufficient as a signature. Nominations received after 28 days (see above) will not be processed - They will be returned rejected to the notice holder and the notice will remain fixed in their name.

may help :thumb:

Garry, situation is quite simple really, in the speed fine thing that they sent to your mother in law, they ask the registered owner to say (nominate) the person who was driving the vehicle at that time, they ask for name address and licence number. Fill this in with your buds details, DO NOT SEND MONEY/CASH/CHEQUE/DRAFT with this, just fill in the detail of the nominee (your bud with his Oz detail) send it off and forget about it. The fines people will send the fine to him and you forget about it and enjoy the Xmas dinner. Your bud can pay if he wishes but I can't see them travelling 24hrs to produce a summons to him.

Make sure to get the notice back to them on time within the 28 days, or you will be eating coal and cold chips instead of turkey.

Done this before with the help of my cousins in OZ.
Pay nothing!!

Nominate your friend and his addresss in OZ and send it back.
They don't pursue it at all.

Same thing happened me up north got caught by a van at a fair bit over limit.
Got a letter blah blah and then another telling me to behave and they were dropping the fine/case.
Different "country" in their legal system... Same as trying to fine your mate from OZ.

As Graham says
if my wife's brother ever comes back From Vietnam they will lock him up ????

Fairly simple as the lads said. Just put all his details on the nomination and send it away. It's up to them if they're bothered sending it on to him in Oz and if they do it's up to him of he wants to pay it.

Has he an Irish license?

lol at keith , very good

what if your buddy in oz has moved and they dont recieve the fine (IF they are persude by fine company, ) .

surely anyone caught could give false details of a mate in oz and get off, using this method , unless they have a pic of who's driving and use that as evidence ?

Happened to me before. The second driver got speeding ticket but came in my name as a main drive.
I rang the number on the fine trying to explain, but seeing my name the just said: you are holding a foreign license
you wont get the points anyway just pay the fine. They are after the money the don't care.

Maybe I haven't been clear!!!!!

Disregard all other ideas!!

Pay nothing!!

Listen to my experience on this.

Oz name/address. Send!

Finished.

Job done.

Ya I heard of lads sending fines ect to england and never paid for. Couple years ago now

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Cheers Lads, in particular Graham. You seem to know what you're talking about. Ive given the guys details now so fingers crossed they don't come back after the mother in law from here on.

All will be fine.

Half my family on both sides live in Oz for years........

They are
Always over driving our cars as rentals are very dear.....................................................

You get the picture!

Back