Mazda rx8

Gar571

Sunday Drivers
Hi lads, the misses really wants one of these but I have no knowledge of them at all, but I do remember the rx7 which also has the Wankel engine needs a compulsory rebuild at certain mileage. I may be well off with that statement and am open to correction and reviews from anyone that's had experiences with them, thanks in advance.

I haven't owned one but my mate did and they are a pig on fuel and your right they need a build at around 50k, nice car though other than that

wagon dec

Driven loads of them in a main dealer I worked for back in the day.

One of the most gutless cars I've ever driven and engine replacements were a regular thing.
As dec said they eat juice too.
Mazda parts are very dear too when something goes wrong.

Nice sharp looking car and rwd thrills smooth rotery engine revs like a motor bike cool design with the suicide doors and most 231 bhp cars got nice leather and the bose sound system.

But

My advice don't do it

Good mate had one for 3 years 231bhp model.

Huge petrol consumption no matter if drivin like a nun or a nutter round 10-12 mpg real world mpg.

Huge oil consumption 5lt per 1000/1500 km.

As and said above gutless was in it once and floored it in 4th on the motorway (slight hill) it wouldn't go above 75mph...until I closed the sunroof engine has feck all toqure

Biggest problem is the problem with seals failing look it up well known problem and requires a Rebuild.

loads of little things that a "normal" engine doesn't require maintaince wise and problem is most went maintained proplery.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Very seriously looked at buying one a few years back as looks nice enough, great handling and the idea of a 9000rpm red line is just something that makes me smile...

... however...

Yes, they are well thirsty and don't expect better than 25mpg on a good one and about 18mpg or so is quite normal.
Yes, they need a rebuild (only new rotor tips if caught in time) every 85-100k kms, but that is not mad money at around 1500-1800.
Yes, they use oil... a lot of oil... you MUST check the oil EVERY time you get petrol and expect to have to fill 1/4L to a litre on a tank of petrol.
The 192bhp is gutless altogether and forget about it and it's 5spd gearbox... go for the 231bhp with the 6 speed which comes with all the extras as standard like leather, aircon, electric everything etc.
The dash is horrible creaky cheap hard plastic and switch gear also cheap and wonky.
... oh... and there is the well documented problem where IF you start it... you MUST drive it until fully HOT BEFORE you turn it off... if you do not, it will flood and cannot be started until you remove plugs clean them and then start it or leave it for at least 12-24hrs... this is the case with pretty much every one of them... so forget about moving it into / out off the drive way, or any short journey where she doesn't get up to temperature...

The above put me off buying one, plus they were still big money 7-8 years ago... Today you can get them cheap as chips, even with a recent enough rebuilt -- but, does your missus want to do the oil check thing - and what about the short journey mission impossible issue?

Hope the above helps!

18 to 25 mpg Charles noooo way unless it's parked up couldn't beleve it myself until u borrowed it myself for 3 days 10 mpg regularly without anything like the performance of a 10mpg car ????

Yup can't knock it off till its hot and has to be revd up to bout 5k before turning it off (his neibours loved that)

And the oil dipstick right beside the exhaust Manafold so u get burnt hands trying to check levels

I could go on

There's a very good reason Mazda never put it in the huge selling Mx5

Bonkers

Have driven them ,know boys with them and lads selling them,

Simple,

No no no

Thanks keaden I really enjoyed that read.

Thanks ciaran unfortunately she's not practical about cars it's all about image and badge which is driving me nuts we just sold our mk5 gti because she travels 120km a day and sits in traffic with the aircon blasting for a good bit of that journey petrol is cheap( works out just over a euro litre for v power) over here but it just doesn't make sense to keep it she's constantly whinging about putting petrol in it.

She will not be getting an rx8 that has been told to her thanks to you guys. What she's looking at now is a mini so we'll see how that goes.

No sweat

Mini you say your in luck so☺ ??

What year and model? I seriously considered one before getting the Swift. Keaden is the bible on them knows pretty much all there is to know...

We're looking at 03-08ish I never knew they had 1.4 models I taught it was all 1.6 and to be honest I'd buy either. Is there anything major to look out for while buying one? They seem pretty solid my mam gets a new one every year she has a country man right now and I can't remember her ever having trouble with any of them.

Re read your last post....

A new one every year!!
Lots of trouble with them too.
I worked with one of the best BMW techs in the country and he told me lots of horror stories.

Thanks for that advice graham it's really appreciated and taken on board. I put up a wanted thread outlining what we've narrowed it down to hopefully someone can help.

Ye a new one every year she just loves them she went through a faze of convertibles she had 3 in a row very funny seeing her going around first sniff of sun with the roof down some old sh*t coming from the speakers

Hi, I ran a 2008 MINI JCW for two years. Great car that certainly did make me smile every time I drove it and still get the odd spin in it now as a mate bought it a year or so after I sold it. They are a solid little car which feels much more solid than you'd think. Handling is great... the pops and bangs from the exhaust on lift off are class too. Very easy on juice... pushing her you'd still see 33-34mpg, average 36-37mpg and around 40mpg on long runs. Great club too (in Ireland anyway).In 2007 the Cooper S and JCW got a turbo instead of a charger. The result was much better fuel economy and a bit more urgency when driven on. They also took the headlights out of the bonnet and improved the brakes and suspension... the 2007 onward model is the nicer car in my opinion.HOWEVER... (isn't there always an however...)The early turbo engines (roughly pre Sept 2009) have an annoying weakness. The timing chain tensioner and guides were not designed right and fail... some as early as 12k kms. The initial signs are a rattle on startup and when she is cold. Putting the old design back in only brings the problem back, but there are newly designed parts that do not fail. Mine had to have two swaps because they fitted the original spec parts 1st time round. Mine got done under warranty, but if paying yourself budget about 1200-1500. All that said, by now the rattle problem should have been fixed on all turbo engines. They do suffer a bit from coking up around the valves and will need a de-coke every 80k kms. The electric window sensors and control units give issues when a few years old (it lowers window a little every time you open the door and then closes window again and this wears stuff out quicker than you'd think... the result is that it will not properly close the window all the way which is a pain).I got rid of mine because my back went and it was the most uncomfortable bouncy ride ever on the bad roads in the Wicklow Mountains... also I because father to twins and there is no space in the boot whatsoever (You cannot fit more than two shopping bags in the boot, so forget about a week's worth of groceries, or prams etc. Still... I did really enjoy the car and no regrets in having owned one.

So, majority of info was given already here.

If you do decide to buy, go and ask for compression test. The seller should be fine with it, if the seller doesnt want, dont even bother talking to him any more.

Coilovers and hot start issues are very common.

This car CANNOt be pushed without the engine being running - not a big news for Impreza owner, but Wankel engine is even more delicate for these things.

its a very beautiful car, but extremely expensive to run, I believe you could convince your wife to get some other nice daily driver, as RX8 would deffo be nice weekend car, but not for daily commuting

Back