Towing speed LIMIT!!!

Adrian Dunne

Octane Boostaholics
Well lads just putting this out there,up until today I had no idea there was a speed limit for towing a trailer/horse box etc etc,I got a 80 euro fine today and 3 bonus"points for doing 91km in a 100km zone on the athlone bypass last Sunday week.
When I looked into it I seen on the RSA site that there is an 80km speed limit for any car or van towing anywhere,obviously it's slower with the lower limits but even on motorway its 80kmph[emoji16][emoji43]
I'm sure plenty know this already but in all my days on this earth I never knew this law existed.So hope this helps some of ye keep them bonus points down and allow more time for your trips too and from track days[emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be from now on that's poxy to get 3 points and 80 fine[emoji35]

The worse thing is,I knew the speed van was there because of on coming traffic flashing but just thought I was ok at 91 in the 100.
Lesson learnt!!

be carefull with weights too, mam weight 3.5t. ie. if you don't have atrailer licence tow vehicle, trailer, track car and everything else in them can't weigh more than 3.5t. and they are doing people for it.

Ya I did know that one as I was checking the regs,I should be ok with that one as the Saxo is no more than 800kg I'd say and the trailer will be heavy but all together I should be well under the 3.5t.

yaa i got told the hard way to on the m1, doing over a tonne in the overtaken lane.

traffic stopped me and i was lucky because i was overtaken a really slow truck and i had no car on the transporter,

its 80 kms speed limit and your not aloud to over take someone, he couldnt tell me how fast i was going but he new i was over the limit and because the truck was going so slow he let me away with the over take to, i was lucky

Yea I seen that also about the over taking or or driving on the overtaken lane,bit silly if you can't over take a slow tractor or lorry.
Fair play that he let you off with a warning[emoji106]my little camera man was out for the kill [emoji35]

I knew about the law alright but usually tip along at 100-120k to make progress if the roads quiet. Cheers for the heads up man

Ya I did know that one as I was checking the regs,I should be ok with that one as the Saxo is no more than 800kg I'd say and the trailer will be heavy but all together I should be well under the 3.5t.

you'd be suprised,
800kg car, say 500kg trailer, 2000kg van, 80kg driver, 200kg spare wheels fuel etc. = over mam
800kg car, 500kg trailer, 1300kg tow car(medium size car), 80kg driver, 200kg spare wheels etc. = over tow capacity of tow vehicle

not set in stone, there are a few tow vehicles that are light with good tow capacity eg bmw 320d, just don't get caught out, heavy fine and points.
vosa came over from the uk to teach our traffic core how to do their job, and they are doing it.

I think it's time to get the trailer licence,when ya add it up it is quite easy to go over.[emoji106]

I knew about the law alright but usually tip along at 100-120k to make progress if the roads quiet. Cheers for the heads up man

Im surprised from talking to lads how many didn't know about it inc myself,the annoying thing is I knew the speed van was there[emoji35]I'll know next time but I'll be getting that trailer licence to cover myself in that area too.

Need to be careful on train weight of vehicle towing too. (Train weight is total weight of car trailer and load) it's a peculiar thing, for example you could have a jeep and horsebox... jeep weighs in at 2200kg horsebox weighs in at 1000kg... happy days your under weight but put a driver passanger and the horse into the equation your over weight.
Regarding the speed law , it's been in since god was a gason, cops turned a blind eye til they could make their stripes by dishing out points and gaining revenue from the fines.

My father got caught the same way . 90 k in a 100 k zone but trailer was the reason he was done . Not made very clear when the paperwork is posted out either

My father got caught the same way . 90 k in a 100 k zone but trailer was the reason he was done . Not made very clear when the paperwork is posted out either

That's right I had to look up the act they quoted to see what it was

Back