Turning x5 or Range Rover Into crew cab

KENC

ISDC Club Member
I've heard of this being done a good bit lately, turning a passenger x5 or Range Rover into a "crew cab" for low tax...
Anyone know what's involved?

I'm pissed but I know there is some regulation to do with the length of boot space to convert to crew cab I know it can be done on lwb landcruisers. It is no prob covert to commercial tax I done it lately for brother on Nissan x trail it's just a few forms to be filled out.
Thank god for predictive text

There is some way of doing it for crew cab, so you can still use all the seats, I knowof one v8 range rover sport done, and have seen a few X5s for sale like this

Do it now heard there trying to close the loop hole on this one. Great job. Think there's a boy in Galway will do all for ya. The new kuga passenger can be commercial with rear middle seat belt removed.

My mate works in a place that's doing these conversions
If done to the letter of the law only original 7 seat jeeps with the rear two removed and flat floor with tying eyes installed
Also some other details about rear door widths and heights some thing like 800 high is needed
But as always in the country there are those who will sign off on this being correct for a small brown envelope
I was asking about R series merc
It has 3 rows of two he doesn't reckon it will pass on door height :(

As above.

Although they are passing off a load of jeeps. They most are not within law

Example

X5
Toureg
Cayenne
X trail
Range rover sport.

None of them qualify officialy.

I know a few lads that got it done 800 Euro both x5 jeeps lads took out seats and did what needed to be done got an engineer report and just put all the seats back in
One jot stopped customs dipping for diesel so they seen the seats and tax they took the jeep off him as far as I know and I don't think he has it back and that was about 3 weeks ago

This was an x5 that was converted and put back to the exact same as it was was before the conversion so it was a x5 passanger with wrong tax so it's gone now

A crew cab is doable but to qualify there are regulations of how deep the boot space has to be and you may have to put in a rear bulkhead.
Just fill out the forms and will need an engineer to fill out one of the forms, it's a report but has to be on the official form not a letter from engineer.
Get it weighed, doe'd and bring forms with money to tax it to motor tax office and away you go.
You can make anything commercial once you meet all the criteria.
I know of a supra and Mitsubishi gto that have been converted.

As above Ya can commercial anything once you can get it insured and have a genuine commercial use for it

But the discussion above relates to jeeps keeping 5 seats and still getting commercial tax band via a loophole soon to be closed I'd reckon

It's a way to keep nice Jeep still fully functional seat wise and not give the robbing fukrs 1800 euro per year road tax/ irish water pocket money

just reading there not sure if its gospel but apparently load area/boot has to be at least 45% of the wheelbase ( not total lenght) of the vehicle. has to have bulk head ( think minimum height is 6 inches or something like that.
and someone mentioned you had to prove you had at least 3 employees to qualify for crewcab, dont know what truth is in that.

Are you planning on keeping the back seats in for bringing lads to/from work or using the seats for ferrying the kids around? If the latter, will they not take it off you anyway for using a commercial Jeep for social and domestic purposes if they stop you with the kids in it or even see the kids seats in it?

Back