which would you have and why ?

whats your preference

• Total voters
All depend on car, year, mileage, Ross?

Any info on car?

Short commute then better off in a petrol Ross less complicated car less to go wrong

Really depends on the car. But under 15k/20k A year petrol be more reliable. Tdi . Clutch flywheel injectors The list could go on. Petrol for me

Diesel seem only to work when there new . Do 160/200 k in 2 years and get rid of them before all the hassle starts.

Like the lads said: short commute go petrol as they are more able for the short journeys

Longer spells of over 20kms then diesel is fine.

Not sure I agree on diesel being money pits at all - only if not serviced properly and/or lots of small journeys. Have had many diesels over the years and some with several hundred thousand kms on them and never a bother. Had a 2.5tdi 5 cylinder Audi A6 with 468k kms, 240k were mine and never an issue, had a 1.6td Audi 80 with 300k miles on it and that did get a new head when I bought it @ 120k (got it cheap and head cost me 600 all in), parents currently driving an 1.9tdi Octavia with about 260k miles on it and no bother ever, our Hyundai Tuscon currently has 250k kms on it and all it has needed is a new EGR and recently a clutch and flywheel (was still on originals and at that mileage cannot complain if it needs a new clutch). Proper servicing makes all the difference - and most of Joe Public seem not to care / understand that little detail as it costs money like.

Age old thong with diesels and petrol cars for that matter regular service and maintenance will see you right.
If going for diesel on short commutes try to get one without DPF as you will not get the engine at sufficient temperature for regeneration.

Petrol over diesel anyday, its a false economy buying a diesel because of the mpg.
the diesel in Ireland has high water/sh*t content combined with the majority of irish peoples lack of proper maintenance of their cars results in problems with pumps, injectors, turbos, dpf's ( soon to be NCT and DOE particulates test) all big money.

in saying that the 2 cars you mentioned depending on history and condition i would take the diesel.
the 1.4 golfs of that year are oil guzzlers if not well maintained from day 1 and if mileage is over 100k miles many face emissions problems in NCT due to poisoned cats etc.
you will know on cold start if it was minded, they are very tappety if oil changes were not regular all along.

i sold a 99 golf 1.9tdi (not PD) last week with 230k miles on it, going like a bomb. had it since 2 years old well maintained.
never had any engine work except 3/4 sumps and a clutch at 190k miles.
original turbo/pump/injectors. they are bullet proof if minded.

1.6 Petrol if going for the golf. 1.4 is gutless for the weight of the car. The 1.6 gets better mpg once it's not in traffic.

A 1.6 tdci focus (pre 2004) would be a better buy again IMO if going down the diesel route.

[quote author=Bonito link=topic=43973.msg507526#msg507526 date=1424184860]
A 1.6 tdci focus (pre 2004) would be a better buy again IMO if going down the diesel route.
[/quote]

No such thing - they were 1.8 tdci pre '05 :thumbsup:

[quote author=WAGON DEC... link=topic=43973.msg507529#msg507529 date=1424186820]
What ever ya do don't touch a 1.6 tdci focus they are absolute scrap
wagon dec
[/quote]

I thought the problems were centred around using the wrong type of oil in these dec?

Iv seen them with full dealer history blowing turbos, top timing chain failing, injectors leaking compression up past them they are dirt unless it's a 2011 up as the engine was scrapped and a new version brought out which seems to be good in fairness

wagon dec

[quote author=STi Brian link=topic=43973.msg507527#msg507527 date=1424185638]
[quote author=Bonito link=topic=43973.msg507526#msg507526 date=1424184860]
[/quote]

No such thing - they were 1.8 tdci pre '05 :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Sorry meant 1.8. Heard horror stories about the newer 1.6. But the older 1.8 is supposed to be a peach and a good high miler aswell.

Back