Wooden floors and under floor heating? (help)

Keadeen

Anyone any experience with underfloor heating and wooden floors?

Do's and Don'ts?

Anyone know a place with a good selection - and reasonable prices - for wooden floors?

Thanks!

p.s. same with a place for bathrooms (suite, tiles etc) - never bought this stuff in Ireland before and shocked at the mental prices I've seen so far.

Tiles are best. But there is new wooden floors out not designed for underfloor heating. Or some of our tiles look like wooden floor if ya get me.

a55311732427b5c1c6239bbed466a45e.jpg

Tiles but these are over 5 years old. Was only new out at the time. Far more of a range now.

If the floors are good and level fix the timber floor covering directly onto the concrete. The foam which is usually put under timber floors will act as an insulator and will inhibit the flow of heat out of the slab.

Engineered semi solid boards are the way to go With underfloor heating . Where abouts are you putting it as in what areas . Let me know what your looking for and a quanity I.ll ring a few contacts and get you some prices :thumbsup:
Solid floors tend to move as in expand If not nailed or glued down but depends on the timber and moisture content and heating in the room :thumbsup:

If it's a bathroom your doing I.d go tiles as you have underfloor heating so they won't be cold to walk on . But if your tiling on timber floors make sure your prep is right and use wbp ply and use flexibal adhesive . :thumbsup:

Thanks lads.

@Joe: tiles everywhere, except the living room and dinning room - they currently still concrete screed. Want to have wood in them, but know that solid wood is a no-go with the underfloor heating. Went to a place and was advised to get semi-solid / engineered. Was very dear though compared to prices I paid before abroad. Both rooms are 25 square meters, so total 50 square meters. Saw a place in the north with more realistic prices, but would prefer to get in Ireland if I could. Bathroom still concrete too and need to get tiles for floors and walls. Maebh had a look in Nolan's in Carlow today and liked what she saw, but still quite dear - so thought would see if anyone had any contacts or place they could recommend. As for the engineered wooden floors - I saw there are special underlays specially for underfloor heating, others say glue the floor down, but then others say it could damage the underfloor heating if you ever need to lift the boards to get access etc. Head is wrecked and not sure what to do. Thanks Joe.

I've got underfloor heating with solid timber floors (sitting room, dining room and four bedrooms) and, despite what I was told at the time (10 years ago), there are no cracks\warping\gaps. It's as good and straight as the day it went down.

I used underlay like this stuff:
http://www.irishflooring.ie/product_info.php?products_id=7957

One side of the underlay has adhesive on it, and that's the side you face up and put the timber on.

Get easy screed self levelling concrete makes some differnce when laying any floor covering. I went tiles everywhere except bedrooms and 12mm laminate in bedrooms with no underlay.
If doing again and had money would tile everywhere.
There is a noticeable difference in the temp between tiles and timber when touching the floor.
Went with timber effect tiles in sitting room there are nice ones out now people can't tell the difference

[quote author=seanie link=topic=43953.msg507105#msg507105 date=1423814690]
Get easy screed self levelling concrete makes some differnce when laying any floor covering. I went tiles everywhere except bedrooms and 12mm laminate in bedrooms with no underlay.
If doing again and had money would tile everywhere.
There is a noticeable difference in the temp between tiles and timber when touching the floor.
Went with timber effect tiles in sitting room there are nice ones out now people can't tell the difference
[/quote]

Yeah the easy screed is a brilliant job.

there is a huge difference between the tiles and wooden floors , Id even go as far as saying those rooms are chilly compared to the tiled rooms in my experience.

The main thing with underfloor is to have all the correct heating controls and it basically should be on all the time at a lower temp than a rad on the wall.

If you don't plan on having it on all the time rads are a better option as it doesn't take half a day to heat a good sized house.

Charles, had underfloor heating in my last house and very costly to run. As Baz said you nearly have to have it on all the time to maintain the heat in the slab. Thirsty to say the least...like a Subaru :icon_grin: A full tank of oil would only last two months and that wasn't just my house, it was every house in the estate. Had to get a stove in to supplement the heat costs !

Hi Brian, thanks for the reply. Have bought the house already and the underfloor heating is in there. It's run of wood pellets though and know the owner well. They had the heating on 24/7 and cost them between 800-1000 per year depending on how cold the winter was. House is only a few years old, insulated to the max and B2 rating on the BER. Either way, can't change it now...

Looked up north today to see if anything could be got at a more reasonable price- exchange rate at the moment is a killer otherwise prices would be much more reasonable up there!

[quote author=Keadeen link=topic=43953.msg507256#msg507256 date=1423951625]
Hi Brian, thanks for the reply. Have bought the house already and the underfloor heating is in there. It's run of wood pellets though and know the owner well. They had the heating on 24/7 and cost them between 800-1000 per year depending on how cold the winter was. House is only a few years old, insulated to the max and B2 rating on the BER. Either way, can't change it now...

Looked up north today to see if anything could be got at a more reasonable price- exchange rate at the moment is a killer otherwise prices would be much more reasonable up there!
[/quote]

Ah good...Where are you moving to Charles ? Are you staying local ?

[quote author=axelf link=topic=43953.msg507255#msg507255 date=1423951052]
Charles, had underfloor heating in my last house and very costly to run. As Baz said you nearly have to have it on all the time to maintain the heat in the slab. Thirsty to say the least...like a Subaru :icon_grin: A full tank of oil would only last two months and that wasn't just my house, it was every house in the estate. Had to get a stove in to supplement the heat costs !
[/quote]
I have air source heat pump feeding underfloor.
I would recommend to anyone building a new house.
Self regulating, once it's set up just switch in on day one and let it off no pricking with time clocks and stats and the likes.
Underfloor is only job

[quote author=axelf link=topic=43953.msg507308#msg507308 date=1424012757]
Ah good...Where are you moving to Charles ? Are you staying local ?
[/quote]

Moving 2 miles up the road to Carrig, so not going too far.
Will have a bit more space there and finally finished renting...

Back