upvc windows

keith dublin

Member Number 161Full ISDC Members 2015
Can the normal double glazed glass be swapped out for some new glass that's more up to the job of keeping the heat in or will I have to change everything
Cheers
keith

Tommy will know more. But we swapped out double glazing to put in triple glazing on a job and it was a waste of time as when we tested them when finished with a thermal imaging camera the heat was pissing out through the frames . :thumbsup:

Yes its is possible . I regularly do this . On munster windows we go from a 4-16-4 , 4 mill glass 16 mm cavity and 4 mm outer glass to a 4-12-4-12-4 . Essentially it's a better job than standard glass as there is an extra barrier to keep the cold out and improved gas insulation but here's the kicker . For triple glazing to be truly effective it needs to be 52 mm thick units . 4-20-4-20-4 . That's why I ripped all the old stuff out and went with a complete efficent system rather than upgrade an outdated system . I've saved a third on our annual heating bill which is nothing to be sniffed at . Gimme a bell and I'll run through options with ya if you want .

Keith apparently the double glazed windows are more efficient than the triple glazed, as there is more room between the pains for the gas. Unlike the example above, I'm not a glazer, so someone with more experience might give you better info. I can tell you that I got all my windows re-sealed, new hinges, handles and replaced my existing double glazed with new double glazed panes with an energy pane on the inside. Great job altogether. Expensive enough but less expensive and intrusive than ripping out complete windows and replacing them.

In theory your correct about triple glazed glass been less efficent but only if the triple glazing has the same width unit as the double . In normal non insulated frames the standard is 4-16-4 so A 24 mm unit . If triple glazed units are made 24 mm thick overall there not worth a wank. However what my crowd does is replace the unit with a 36 mm unit which is 4-12-4-12-4 . It's a reasonable enough job and once all the hinges and gaskets are in good order it should be a perfect job for many a year . Now where you see a massive improvement is where you get a 52 mm triple glazed unit in an insulated frame . These are a serious window and is what I have in my own place . U values are really impressive and you feel the difference straight away. 52 mm glass is made up as 4-20-4-20-4 . So loads of space for insulating gas .

Actually just something interesting is that if your double glazed windows are 20 years old they are about 30%less efficent than when new .

What I am trying to say is that if he wants to get an extra bit of warmth without all the hassle replace the double glazed he has with new double glazed. The existing window frames will not be able to accommodate the triple glazed , so double with an energy pane on the inside will be the job.

Majority of the windows will accept triple glazing once the correct beading can be sourced . Most manufacturers buy a specific system that will have interchangeable parts and fittings and yes I 100% agree that a new double unit will be better than the existing unit that is x years old . But the new unit will degrade efficiency wise over time . A figure of 1-2 % loss of efficiency per year is the norm but older units were much less efficient to start with would have seen much higher figure of loss per year.

replacing the glass is all well and good but as joe said above the loss thru old frames is very high . A lot of new systems use insulated thermally broken frame which cuts down /out cold coming through them .

Flanagan Windows, they are based in Monaghan, great lads and very straight and honest, the boss wanted new windows altogether got the lads out had a nose about and said that it would make more economic sense replace the glass only, they resealed all the window frames, new handles on all windows, put new hinges on ones that were fuckt.
I have 20 windows including 2 bay windows, got new front door and replaced sliding patio doors with open out doors. I would have saved in the region of between 5 and 6k just replacing the glass rather than replacing the complete frames plus the hassle and hardship of taking out and putting in windows and the inevitable clean up afterwards.
If you want a number let me know I will pm you the details

Could get a price for ya keith no problem . Done a job like this on nicks house but went from single to double glazed there . Can get all the low e glass fairly right price wise or could get a price for complete replacement so you could see what's best value for money .

Back