Winter Tyres

I've a brand new set of 175/70/14 winter tyres, there if you want them.
Vredestein Arctrac.
Make me an offer :thumbsup:

I'm so surprised to see people who say there is no difference in winter summer tyres once you have loads of thread on summer tires. Summer tires looses all there preferences as soon as it's around 4 PLUS. It gets rock hard and u loose the grip.
Best winter tires for me are Blizzak from Bridgestone or Nokian Hakeppalita. Very soft, very good grip on ice even the studless version. Since we don't get temperatures below 5 or more that much above tires are little overkill, but you would be 100% sure you are ready for what ever nature throughs at you. Any part worn decent brand winter tire will out perform new summer tire when it's +2 -5 (and below) range of temperature.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Bought a set from camskill.co.uk earlier in the week, Goodyear UltraGrip 9 I ended up going with after looking through the most recent tyre tests. It ended up between them and the Continentals, the contisport probably had the edge but they were out of stock. Should be here on Tuesday.

FYI - Oponeo.ie seem to be very competitive on certain tyres and definitely worth checking for people in future :thumbsup:

When lm drooling on the wheels theads on nasioc l noticed that most of the times they are wraped with blizzacs

Austria
Winter tyres
From 1 November to 15 April it is obligatory during winter conditions to have winter tyres on all four wheels or snow chains on the drive wheels (can also be combined).
Snow chains may only be used if they cannot damage the road surface. The entire road must therefore be covered with snow or ice. Not using winter tyres or snow chains can affect your liability for an accident and result in prosecution.

If they have them they must work
my old man had them on all year round because he couldn't get out of the driveway one year after that he never had that problem again I'm a big fan of them way more grip out of them

Any winter tire even part worn will be better than any summer tire. It is rubber compound that they are made from.
If temp is dropping below 7degress it is advised In Poland to change tires to winter type. Breaking distance is noticable shorter.
Lets just say that any winter tire are still keeping parametrs even on -10 degrees and below. Summer tires are like bricks on such trmperatures. Here in Ireland we are not getting such conditions so for those who havent seen Real snow and low temperatures is hard to imagine that there is so big difference.
Thats my 5c on it.

Put them on the wife's car late last week, baring in mind the "summer" tyres on it past the nct a week earlier, I felt a huge difference in grip when driving on the last couple of icy cold mornings. I left her off to work in it today and she picked me up and the first thing she said was how much better and stable the car felt on the road, and this from a woman who couldn't tell her arse from her elbow around cars :lol2

I know we don't usually suffer really bad winters, but for the sake of €250 all in fitted and all, it's worth it for piece of mind with her and the kids that it gives the car the best possible chance.

Back