Winter Tyres

Rob Spec C

Octane Boostaholics
Getting a set for the missus for the winter in the coming days, I was looking on camskill and nearly all of their "winter tyres" are listed as snow tyres or have snow in the name. Is there a difference or are all winter tyres for snow?

Just don't want them burning off the car if we don't get the winter we're expecting..

Most winter tyres are classed as mud and snow, so they would say m+s or could say snow on them

Don't bother Robbie... This harsh winter they are talking about is a load of bollox. It's been the mildest on record to date for some time. I bought winter tyres after 2010... And ive had no reason to use then even living up in the hills.

Thanks Dec, was wondering alright, seems after a bit more digging they review them in the cold, wet and snow for combined ratings. Either looking at the Continental WinterContact TS 850, Michelin Alpin A4 or Goodyear UltraGrip 9, there's only pennies in the difference in price and checking reviews, it seems to be a toss up, although the Continental seems to have got more awards this year :wall:

@ J - I'd be more worried about what its gonna be like in January/February, and while I know it could just as easily be the warmest winter on record if I buy them, it'll undoubtedly the coldest, snowy winter if I don't. So the lesson here is that if you want a good winter, I'll take donations to my winter tyres, ha ha :roll:

You may well be right. They have been spouting on about how it'll be the worst in 100 years... and then I read the other day that it may go the other way and be the warmest. How a vague a forecast is that! :facepalm

Also, the "experts" predicting this are neither UK or Irish based meteorologists... the Irish and UK lads are saying they won't predict any further than 1/2 week down the road! :falldownlaugh:

Confidence inspiring bunch really!

Ah, they haven't got a clue at all, never have and never will. Better off listening to the sheep whisperer in New Zealand that has great craic randomly predicting the weather :lol2

Just going with the philosophy, I'd rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them. Well, for the woman anyway, want to keep her safe, she has all the access to the accounts :lol2

Personally think you can't beat the snow tyres.

M+S is right and can drive them year round if you want in Ireland as hardly ever gets really hot here. The Tucson has Nankang SV2 on it year round and last set lasted 50k kms and still had enough meat on them to be legal, but changed them as snow forecast and want a bit more thread on them then (over 3mm).

Don't get studded winters as they are not allowed here and make sure M+S marking on it as some makes have a snow-flake or "alpine mountain" logo, but they are not snow tyres (look up on manufacturer site to ensure they are proper winter compound if in doubt).

Even if no snow, but just cold (under 10 degrees), they grip better and also typically they deal with standing water better due to big evacuation pattern for the snow.

Best snow tyre I ever had are Nokian WR G2 - crazy amount of grip in the snow.

Have winters on the Audi and have a set for the Hawk too... as both of them are performance cars I do run them on summer tyres from April till November.

I've Nankang NV2's as well... had them on the car all summer and they were fine... no wear whatsoever and they got some good use. :icon_biggrin:

Not great in the warm weather though... a bit wallowy and soft.. but I'm sure your missus isn't going to be ripping up the tarmac!

Esb specifies winter tyres all year round. I don't see any problem unless it's a scorcher of a summer.
We had Hancook winter tyres last year on the S Max but it turned out mild but they wore fine .

Thanks lads, gonna choose between the continental and michelin in the morning, leaning toward the continental after checking out the reviews so 90% going with them :thumbsup:

As said above by Charles the winter tyre works best at low temperatures, the difference between your standard tyre (or summer tyre) to the winter tyre is supposed to be unreal. Never had them but if we get the weather were apparently going to get, winter tyres would be a great investment .

I think winter tyres are a load of bollox if ya good tyres on your car it's safe end of, and the fucking road noise off the winter tyres would wreck your head, ok if ya lived in Sweden or Norway but not here

[quote author=WAGON DEC link=topic=43414.msg498489#msg498489 date=1417562563]
I think winter tyres are a load of bollox if ya good tyres on your car it's safe end of, and the fucking road noise off the winter tyres would wreck your head, ok if ya lived in Sweden or Norway but not here
[/quote]

+1

Rob try check oponeo.ie for Nokian winter tyres.

I find winter tyres great here in Ireland couple years ago :) but I got them very cheap and it was second hand:)

Massive difference between winter and standard tyres but as said. We. Really don't get the weather here and also 17" Winter tyres are not cheap

For the sake of €230 delivered for a set of some of the best winter tyres going, I'd rather have them here in case it does snow. But even if it doesn't, just feel the cold the last few mornings, winter tyres with different compounds and thread patterns will make a difference. Now granted they may not make a huge difference to someone who can react to changing conditions but for someone who can't or doesn't know how, then they could make all the difference, especially when always travelling at the worst possible times, early morning and late evening.

[quote author=BazGF8 link=topic=43414.msg498502#msg498502 date=1417596563]
Pro parts selling them cheap enough
[/quote]

New or second hand Baz?

Back