Track day car

Yeah can do themha for you Martin no problem at all. I'm up to my eyes at the minute and have other stuff going on too so would be a few weeks before I get to you. Drop me a pm and I can chat to you there.

Had the saxo over with Martin Tracey yesterday for a little map tweak. Very happy with the results, 174bhp now with 170nm of torque. It dropped 2nm as Martin expected but gained 8bhp. The big gain is now where the power is much higher and revving out more. The car made 176bhp with bonnet up so a good air supply to the bodies should get it there[emoji108]
The car should now be around 225bhp per tonne so hopefully this is good enough to me more competitive in class. I haven't had a lot of seat time this year but so I'll have to hit the ground running at the next two rounds of the championship.

7856272aaf4657cb8acb2a989f0e006e.jpg

d30a248322ffa268c7d742ce2113c97b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Few small cheap important jobs done tonight. I picked up a nice 5mm sheet of black foamex today to make up door cards and some ducting for the rad. First job was the door cards. As I completely skinned these doors for weight saving, the regs say I must have door cards so this foamex is light and tidy. It's very easy to work with and I done all cutting with my mini grinder using slim stainless steel cutting discs.

7a3c6c3ac932c6f0b099e7398b403065.jpg

That's the two doors sorted so this should keep scrutiny happy[emoji106]
Next job was to make up a funnel/duct around the rad to help force the air in where it's needed.

4ef0e8230211a8601c7aec0f49524271.jpg

Cable ties and tec-7 was the equipment of choice for this task. Making the box as air tight as possible is a must and utilising as much air from the front of the car is important.

5664bf640a8279d22705d1d8aa212aac.jpg

Hopefully this wee box helps with temperature on track as I need to keep this wee French girl a cool as possible to fight with Hondas[emoji106] Next job will be a temporary cold air feed for the bodies until I get fibreglass bonnet sorted.

U make me feel very inadequate with all your genius solutions, fair play Adrian, you should honestly set up a YouTube channel and cash in on this��

Top job as usual man cracking little car that punches way above its weight...congrats ...how's the lap times looking compared to the Honda's

Cheers lads!
Ya the YouTube thing as been said to me a few times now, I have a channel with all my onboard but maybe I'll start doing a few Vlog,s on some of the work[emoji106]
Times are close with the Hondas but I have missed a few rounds so it's hard to know where I'll be at. Rounds 1&2 I was only .5 off the pace of the leading B18 in class on our fastest laps. He done a 1:05.7 I did 1:06.3. That was a bad day for the saxo as I was down in power due to some serious over heating.
Since then I have addressed the over heating issue and removed around 30kg from the car. I have also added the bodies since which gives me another 10bhp up to 174bhp. This should some way level the playing field I hope. The Hondas are quick so I will need all these extra few mods to be on song and temps to stay stable.
As for myself I could do with a practice run before hand but I'm afraid I can't afford that so I'll just have to do it all on the day. I'm sure after a few laps I'll soon have my eye in again. I'm really looking forward to next weekend it's gona be busy and can be stressful on your own getting everything sorted on race day but it's just an extra challenge which makes it all the sweeter if you succeed[emoji108]
Thanks as always lads for the positive comments and it's great to see there is some interest in my little venture[emoji16][emoji106]

We are out the 8th & 9th Keith but that is subject to change as it's not suiting everyone to two days. So hopefully it will be qualifying Saturday evening and two races. I'll post up the calendar here when finalised[emoji106]

Got the Saxo out for a test run yesterday just to see how temps were and get a feel for things after getting the bodies mapped. Very happy with everything! Temps staying well within the safe zone and the power delivery was hugely improved. The car feels like there is no flat spot tight to the limiter. Now I hope this translates into better lap times.
https://youtu.be/crUw_4xaIts

Cheers Alan!
Ya it's hairy enough alright but it literally was a good shake down[emoji23]

This is the video of race 2. I got a great start and was leading up until the red flag came out. As you can see i had problems with 3rd coming out of turn 2.
I had a bad restart and the two remaining Hondas got me to turn 1. I was hoping I could give them a good run but the box just lost all gears! Needless to say I was quite upset [emoji24]
Not really the weekend I wanted but sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards!

https://youtu.be/iYLEx7HIj6o

Good result all the same man a shake down car seems to be flying fair play [emoji106]

Cheers Gordon
It felt quite sluggish on the day. But I think that's mostly due to the lack of cold air feed going to the bodies. It's something I over looked before the weekend. I was so concerned that I even done a compression check which thankfully looks really good! However my spark plugs seems knackered [emoji51]

4a86bf34163c87b656751ffb2f322546.jpg

This is the plan for cold air. Original a bonnet vent was the plan but I was advised that this is the way to go[emoji106]

6987741d254f1c5bc4a2248727dc9e4c.png

Well I nearly had the gearbox out last night to find out what the issue was on Sunday. While removing the starter I realised that the mounting bracket for my shifter cables had broken. I'm relived I now don't have to strip or even remove the gearbox. Even if I did notice this problem on Sunday, I don't think there would have been a lot I could do about it!

cdd4faa10582311ca6802489ddc1fc5a.jpg

Back