Track day car

It's none stop! But after this last little bit I'm just gona enjoy the car and try get it closer to the pace of the Hondas. Seat time is more important after this. I wasn't happy with engine temperature last weekend but hopefully I'll get that sorted [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been chipping away at the car weight loss program;)
So far 24kg has been removed by stripping all the brakes and abs system all remaining glass and pretty much skinning any unwanted metal that has no structural purpose.
I know some will go back in with new pipe work but very little.

Door rubbers are very heavy as I found out and they really are over rated anyway!

08535edf7eea6d7f8a2db6b0365eea0a.jpg

Picked up a bargain today on Adverts.ie nice new bias valve. Some say the lever type is better but I'd prefer this as it's not as easy to knock it off setting as the lever.

ec7d2282bf6ce08c8f0643f112233d27.jpg

I'll keep looking for more ways to get weight out cheaply and try move weight around for better balance. I'd love to fit a fuel cell and flat bottom the car but I'll have to wait and save my pennies for that job..

Fitted the new alloy rad this evening. It's 400mm x 300mm so 100mm shorter than OEM but it's twin core so better flow and volume. This leaves room at one side to get more air in around the oil filter to hopefully keep that cooler. But I'm also considering fitting an oil cooler if needed.

ddaf99f6d127c94f0818ebc30257f155.jpg

f6e41ab442c4c62d919cb275ef74b753.jpg

Been looking at some 106/vts sites and I see the main cause of excessive heat in these cars is removing the heater matrix and not fitting a resistor where the matrix was. So I have done a little sketch of what is recommended. I'll get my local machine shop to run this off on the lathe.

47fa70570a37c92d4258fc6e3351fbae.jpg

Still stripping weight and I have the doors stripped back as much as I can without them falling off [emoji23]

1a6b216a53fec579aabb44061901b70d.jpg

Next job will be to tackle the brakes so time to start gathering the bits needed for this task.

Started work on the new brake system this evening. First job was to make a bracket/mount for the new hydro handbrake. Only material at my disposal was some 2mm aluminium left over from making the front splitter. This worked well as it helps keep the weight down as the handbrake itself is very light.
I cut a slip and bent it into shape. It was awkward as I needed to work from two levels as you can see in the picture.

45d68b92c48173b54cb616bbd5f77278.jpg

Obviously there would be little strength if this, so I had to make up a piece to act as a brace. This really gave the mount good rigidity

ae256466e7bf92cac5a5f4f742013620.jpg

So when I was happy with the final location I fixed it in place and bolted the handbrake on.

78fc1445bafd02a1586ff3f43584269d.jpg

This also gave me a good location to mount the bias valve.

4383982c9f95afd4fdb5efd64c959460.jpg

Picked up some copper nickel piping and connections today do I started some pipe work. I'll need some T pieces for rear put I'll have to get them in Murray Motorsport during the week.

ee491c2e385c49d422d6c43ea9d67996.jpg

You can get copper or copper nickel piping and it was only last night I seen that pure copper is not acceptable for hill climb regulations. Full credit to Declan for pointing out the difference as I had no idea that copper nickel pipe existed.

1033f0c25c0c81830c50d9c91e298326.jpg

Just done the front brakes for now. For the rear I'll pipe the two back ports into a T then go to the rear as single before another T into the two rears. I have seen people blank one port and just go all the way back as one. I just like the idea of using all ports just incase.

Finally got my brakes finished this evening. All new pipes fitted but still need to get fluid and bleed the system. Hopefully no leaks will appear!!

4510a8dce653b91fef90bde7ec6d30a3.jpg

586e6c1fac1e9584f1ff03551318f7f1.jpg

2f41929e56788144ab0ed9fdaf7b7456.jpg

Some work Adrian, just had a look at back at the first few pages of this, cracking car now

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Some work Adrian, just had a look at back at the first few pages of this, cracking car now

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Ha ha cheers:)
Ya I had a wee look back myself the other day it's been some journey alright! Really enjoying it and learning loads along the way[emoji106]

So since rounds 1&2 of the ITCC I have been busy taking weight out of the car sorting my heat issue and sorting the brakes. As it turns out it all seems a lot better now after the Octane Track Day on Friday. It was so wet on track but I was confident the car would be good in the wet after all that's what the winter development was for. Not only did I increase power, but traction and grip was greatly improved and it showed on track. In fairness I'd smash that was the wettest track I have been on in a while so lap times were not a target. The plan was just to get out and get a feel for what the car can do and looking at ITCC wet times from last year the car looks competitive in the rain and hopefully will have an advantage on some! The track did dry a little before lunch but not enough for any respectable times. 2:11 was best at this stage so giving how slippy it still was I can't complain. That said the day was great fun with a good bunch of lads! I'm a big fan of the Octane Track Day mentality where we all seem equal no matter what car pulls up in the paddock you get genuine car enthusiasts coming over for a look and a chat. Really looking forward to the next day out with these guys and very much looking forward to our own track day on the 25/08/27 [emoji106]few short clips of the on board from the day below [emoji106]
https://youtu.be/jpzZCo6MdPg

Last edited:
Still searching for an extra bit of power so I decided to pick up a set of GSXR 1000 throttle bodies. I already had the flange plate and gasket so after done research I think it's a worthwhile venture. I dropped of all the bits with Pipefab just outside Tullamore on Saturday so Tom will start working on the manifold on Monday evening. It should be a relatively straight forward job once I get them fitted. Gains won't be huge but I'm sure 170+ bhp can be achieved and possibly more torque.

a599a31b287ea9dc74994f1c0a9cf981.jpg

I'll fit trumpets on them Keith, DanST in the uk do them for the GSXR 1000 bodies and they look a good job. Might chat with Jay when we are making the bonnet to incorporate a scoop for cold air feed[emoji106]

Back