Help needed. Brembo brakes.

Evobully

Petrolheads
Gents,
I recently upgraded my brake setup on my WRX to brembo's. I bought a set of used front discs from a member on here which looked like new and a full set of calipers from the UK. It took me a while to get everything together but its finally all fitted. New pads front and rear. New discs on the rear as well (Godspeed, Kevlar)as fluid and I checked the pistons were all working. No issue bleeding after fitting either.And the wheels are all balanced.

Here is the deal. I have no problem braking at low speeds but anything over 100kish theres a wobble in the stearing. If i brake gently it is less pronounced and as the car slows it reduces back to normal. Its the same hot or cold.If anything its slightly better when hot.
I was thinking its the discs or rather I hope its just the discs. Is there anywhere around Westmeath area i could get them checked or do I just get them skimmed anyway?I would rather buy new discs if the cost of skimming is high and may not be the problem.

I use the car every day for work so I can't send the discs away for any length of time but a day or so would be grand.
Does anyone have spare discs i could throw on just to test?
I'm just after ideas or options. I would like to keep the cost down because its cost me a shed load already. :icon_sad: :icon_sad:

Get the front discs skimmed here and new pads
http://www.murfit.ie/

Really you should be using a dial gauge when fitting to minimize runout and find out exactly which disc is bad

If your stuck I have a set of front godspeed discs but are warped as well

Thanks. I have sent them a mail. So whats the story with the pads? They have only been on a couple of weeks and they still look like new. Does a warped disc damage them somehow or cause them to wear un evenly?

When you say check runout when fitting are you just finding the best orientation of the disc on the hub? If both discs are skimmed I would assume they are good and run out wouldnt be a problem unless I could always expect small deviations and are looking at stacking tolerances between the hub and the disc?

[quote author=Evobully link=topic=42441.msg486199#msg486199 date=1407765160]
Thanks. I have sent them a mail. So whats the story with the pads? They have only been on a couple of weeks and they still look like new. Does a warped disc damage them somehow or cause them to wear un evenly?

When you say check runout when fitting are you just finding the best orientation of the disc on the hub? If both discs are skimmed I would assume they are good and run out wouldnt be a problem unless I could always expect small deviations and are looking at stacking tolerances between the hub and the disc?
[/quote]

Best practice to use new pads on fresh disc surface

Yeah you could have a warp where the disc sits on the hub, I had a serious issue with my car recently same issue as you describe, ending up borrowing a dial gauge and it was the rear discs (not the front as I thought with the steering vibrating), and also one of the hub was bad , causing the warp. I skimmed them and was fine for 1500km and now its back so I need to change the bad hub

Interesting stuff. I hope its not the rears as they are new from godspeed. The original wrx brakes had no problems before the change so I'm hoping its not a hub but I cant rule it out i suppose. I did give the hubs a good clean before fitting the front discs but i didn't have a dial guage to check them. I suppose I should have had them skimmed when I bought them but they looked like new and I was told they had only been fitted for a couple of thousand K.My bad. Its going to be 30 euro max per disc for a skim and they can do it while I wait. Fingers crossed that the problem then.

Get the front skimmed and see how you get on , they will do them while you wait

[quote author=Evobully link=topic=42441.msg486653#msg486653 date=1408129475]
So I got the front discs skimmed and new pads. Normal service is resumed. Thanks for the advice.
[/quote]
Good job :stismiley

Back