IMPREZA WRX Vs STi

Rich3248

Petrolheads
How do they compare? 225bhp VS 280+bhp

Was looking at this >> http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/7210418

I think it's different looking and at a decent price.

But was thinking are you better off going all the way and finding an STi?
All I'd like is a bit of power and only use it up and down to work and the odd spin.

Have you had a scooby before?

What other cars have you had?

I ask these questions because if your coming from a high power car a Sti is the one to have.

I would always go Sti if you can afford it! But there's nothing wrong with a wrx either but just let's say once you drive an Sti you won't go back to a wrx.

would have to agree with johnny the wrx is a great car in every way as is the sti but the difference is night and day if you can afford an sti get one and you'll never look back

Hi James,
I had a Blob WRX, a Classic STI and currently a Hawk STI. Each car has it's own benefits and good points. From the pictures the car looks minded, but the price I think is high enough in the current market for a WRX. The seller might argue the cost of doing the mods, but typically you see little of that back and in the case of the coil-overs on a WRX I would personally see that as a negative.

The WRX is down on power compared to an STI; however in return it is a lot more comfortable and hence easier to live with as a daily driver. Putting coil-overs on a WRX I think robs it of that benefit / plus point. This particular car looks very low indeed and hence probably fairly hard sprung, add to this the owner putting 18s on it and I would say it will be harsh ride. Only you can decide if you could live with that every day (I couldn't).

If you are interested ask about the exhaust he mentions (cat back, turbo back, still got cats etc), and also 4" is unlikely (maybe 4" tail exit, but will be a 2.5 or 3" exhaust for the pipework). If it is a full exhaust the car should have been remapped. BTW a conservative remap would see around 260-270bhp and that would be plenty to have fun and sort out any "power issues" you might find with a standard WRX.

WRX will be easier to run @ 30-32Mpg average and 34Mpg on longer runs. An STI would struggle to do much better than 24-26Mpg if a two litre and standard. The WRX will be easier to insure (by far) than an STI. An STI will be faster, have much better brakes, possibly DCCD if you would ever use that and a 6spd instead of the 5spd.

It all comes down what you want it for... both have their advantages. Hope the above helps.

I have to disagree with one or two points from above

You won't get more than 25 mpg out of any turbo impreza regardless of what people will tell you unless your driving like an absoulute nun which is very hard in a wrx amd if your buying to do that DONT!

Also the insurance thing I never seen any difference in price between wrx v Sti, could be just me,

If your under 25 forget about it, they are hard car to get insured on.

I agree with duffman on the mpg front, 26mpg from a tank is about the best I've gotten, more may be possible, but you should get a normal rx impreza if you are going for driving gently and mediocre mpg.

Btw I've a 99 turbo 2000.

@ Tango and Johnny:
Ran my WRX standard Blob for over two years and put about 50k miles on her... ALWAYS averaged between 30-32Mpg. My commute is in WW - across the county over the mountains taking military roads - and lets just say I don't drive like Ms.Daisy :changinggear: .

To put it into context: the STI 2.5 Hawk, same commute, same driver... 22-23Mpg. :eek7:
The v3 STI on the same run did between 23-29mpg, depending on "full on" vs "quick" driving style.

I do find they run a lot dearer if doing lots of short runs, so maybe despite them "driving on" on mountains with lots of gear changes, my good mpg comes from longer drives of at least 40 miles. :dontknow:

BTW I'm not trying to say WRX is economical or whatever, as there are other similar power cars out there which give you better Mpg (my MINI JCW R56 returned 34-36Mpg for the same run with very similar power)... I was just trying to give Rich a quick comparison of WRX vs STI (the main few points).

Insurance: same driver - my WRX fully comp 500-600, my STIs 750-900 fully comp. Also, some WILL give you a quote on a WRX, but NOT on an STI (so not only about Euros, but also about getting cover at all, especially important if under 25 like).

As I mentioned in other threads I'm 22 and have previously been insured on a skyline r33 gtst 2.5 turbo. (424bhp) which I regret selling. Did about 16mpg haha. Loved it and ran it daily

Currently use a celica st202 (177bhp) as a daily and it does about 28mpg I'd say.

I just insure the celica, buy the STi and changeover for a fee.

Anyway I think coming from a skyline will mean I should get the STi?

[quote author=Keadeen link=topic=42107.msg481918#msg481918 date=1404047730]
@ Tango and Johnny:
Ran my WRX standard Blob for over two years and put about 50k miles on her... ALWAYS averaged between 30-32Mpg. My commute is in WW - across the county over the mountains taking military roads - and lets just say I don't drive like Ms.Daisy :changinggear: .

To put it into context: the STI 2.5 Hawk, same commute, same driver... 22-23Mpg. :eek7:
The v3 STI on the same run did between 23-29mpg, depending on "full on" vs "quick" driving style.

I do find they run a lot dearer if doing lots of short runs, so maybe despite them "driving on" on mountains with lots of gear changes, my good mpg comes from longer drives of at least 40 miles. :dontknow:

BTW I'm not trying to say WRX is economical or whatever, as there are other similar power cars out there which give you better Mpg (my MINI JCW R56 returned 34-36Mpg for the same run with very similar power)... I was just trying to give Rich a quick comparison of WRX vs STI (the main few points).

Insurance: same driver - my WRX fully comp 500-600, my STIs 750-900 fully comp. Also, some WILL give you a quote on a WRX, but NOT on an STI (so not only about Euros, but also about getting cover at all, especially important if under 25 like).
[/quote]

Thats seriously impressive mpg, that's 300+ miles per tank! I'd love it!

My work journey is only 15 miles, the first couple of miles are warm up, the end is traffic/cool down, the middle is fast country and motorway! Not the greatest for max mpg!

Back