BRZ IS TO BE AXED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wagon dec

Member Number 257
just seen this ,shocked tbh

2013-subaru-brz-sports-car-first-drive-review-car-and-driver-photo-432774-s-429x262.jpg

http://autoomobile.com/news/subaru-brz-axed-already/1003100/

Looks like the Subaru BRZ will be no more just three years after it’s released. The BRZ was first introduced alongside the FR-S and GT86 after Subaru sign a partnership with Toyota. However, it looks like Toyota might be walking away from Subaru.

Reports from Drive claims that Toyota might be planning to walk away after Subaru did not show any plans to upgrade the GT86. Toyota wanted to move the GT86 forward, but Subaru did not want to go with it.

This information came from a conversation with Tetsuya Tada, Toyota chief engineer who mentioned that the next generation GT86 will be under the BMW- Toyota team. He also added that the project is already underway. If that is true, the move will force the BRZ to discontinue. The BRZ has received raving reviews since its released for its sizable speed and agility.

So what we expect from the GT86? Now with BMW in the mix, they will probably have no problem coming out with some powerful car. Toyota also mentioned that they are considering downsizing the engine and adding turbochargers and even went on to say that the 86 may include some Eco technology like “racing hybrid”.

All comes down to figures
Toyota selling better and Subaru look like the lesser brand I'd say is the way they see it
Great car I'd love one some day

according to the article its down to Subaru being unwilling to update the brz in line with the gt86 but if the truth was told id say bmw is bringing more money and have a massive line of rear drive setups to choose from

STi is different company to Subaru so STi version could still be possible. A 1.6lt twin turbo would be a more CO compliant option, therefore lowering price. :leggy2

Bad news for Impreza fans as well, I would have expected developments with the FA engine to filter through to the STi...considering they've basically done nothing to the STi in almost 10 years it doesn't look good

[quote author=JAMIE-TYPERV6™ link=topic=42083.msg481683#msg481683 date=1403772366]
9 Toyotas to every 1 Subaru.
[/quote]

Well that would explain Toyotas interest and Subarus lack of interest lol....I always wonderd if they were going to take off... I could see it sitting well with Toyota heads but it kind of goes away from what people originally went Subaru for...

In one way this is a big pity... on the up-side... Guess it depends on what they do with the funds that come available through axing this... maybe more WRX STI stuff across the range? :pray:

[quote author=KENC link=topic=42083.msg481690#msg481690 date=1403775664]
[quote author=JAMIE-TYPERV6™ link=topic=42083.msg481683#msg481683 date=1403772366]
9 Toyotas to every 1 Subaru.
[/quote]

Well that would explain Toyotas interest and Subarus lack of interest lol....I always wonderd if they were going to take off... I could see it sitting well with Toyota heads but it kind of goes away from what people originally went Subaru for...
[/quote]

Toyota would probably outsell Subaru more than 9-1 on every equivalent unit, maybe more, probably have 50 times the amount of showrooms world wide

Hardly surprising is it , the only brz ive seen on the road is the one sean from c&r is driving and the one castle garage had in the showroom , subaru screams rally car to the normal folks on the street , toyota says reliable motoring , even though they are the same car , its all brand image , how many years have subaru been on about their unique awd driveline , so a rwd coupe doesnt really sit well along side foresters, leggies outbacks etc , which is the mainstay of subaru imo ,

yeah i reckon they where trying to break away from that
bad way to do it my opinion
im hoping there going back to there routes
the new wrx impreza seems to me anyway a very well sorted car
not a sti but a cracking everyday car
maybe im wrong :dontknow:
was behind a 12 d leggy saloon earlier
plain isn't the word
best i could think of was a is200 copy from rear lights boot lid etc.
the levorg looks a smashing car
personally i get the impression of a brand that doesn't know what it is due to turning its backs on its core drivers and there's the problem
stop trying to be other brands you have enough history there already to create magic but as always corporate decisions destroy such a chance
all you have to do is look at the concepts we receive as opposed to what gets released
but the new impreza i think is a good start followed bye the levorg
sort the foz out now and just provide great purposefull cars with good performance like times of old
and sort the emissions out :shtf:
just my 2 cents :thumbsup:

It's actually sold pretty well for a brand new line, it's definitely out sold sti's in uk..I think the problem is profit per unit..all the essential components on the wrx and sti are years old and production costs for an sti would be far less...they probably just don't see the profit in developing it any further...r&d costs for new performance components etc ....then the fact it will have more power it will take into a new buyers market, might only cost a few grand more but insurance costs , co2 emissions ....market research probably means they understand that.

All the people complaining about the lack of power where never gonna buy it anyway, an sti badge and another 80 hp won't tempt new buyers into it, anyone who wants that can go to litchfileds or Crawford...smart move by Subaru. They will still sell it but why waste money developing it further if it's not going to push sales.

IMO Subaru has been dead in Ireland for years now and will eventually stop sales over here because of the tax system and the fact they don't produce any good cars anymore, the diesels have there problems.

The brz was never going to sell to the subaru rally fan because there ten year old wrx was quicker.
It either needed to be lighter or use the turbo flat four engine to give it enough power to compete with the wrx and Sti.
With the gt86 been like a twincam the Toyota boys had something similar to look to. Also every review said the gt86 was better than the brz because the rear arb was different on both car, brz had a softer bar causing the brz to understeer were as the gt had a thicker arb which made it act more like a twin cam.

I don't know we're Subaru are going to go from here, in this country anyway, this might be are only answer in a few years http://www.litchfieldimports.co.uk/Toyota/BRZ-GT86-SPEC-S

I'm sure there doing well in the states and austrailia.

[quote author=DUFFMAN™ link=topic=42083.msg481748#msg481748 date=1403820333]
IMO Subaru has been dead in Ireland for years now and will eventually stop sales over here because of the tax system and the fact they don't produce any good cars anymore, the diesels have there problems.

The brz was never going to sell to the subaru rally fan because there ten year old wrx was quicker.
It either needed to be lighter or use the turbo flat four engine to give it enough power to compete with the wrx and Sti.
With the gt86 been like a twincam the Toyota boys had something similar to look to. Also every review said the gt86 was better than the brz because the rear arb was different on both car, brz had a softer bar causing the brz to understeer were as the gt had a thicker arb which made it act more like a twin cam.

I don't know we're Subaru are going to go from here, in this country anyway, this might be are only answer in a few years http://www.litchfieldimports.co.uk/Toyota/BRZ-GT86-SPEC-S

I'm sure there doing well in the states and austrailia.
[/quote]

That's exactly it, they don't care about the UK & Irl market as it doesn't deliver sales

The brz was just the wrong car for Subaru..
Toyota have a rwd history with people waiting since 1986 for another corrolla rwd coupe equivelant to come along

Where Subaru fans were waiting for something far different.., comprising of 4wd and min 300bhp...
If they had of stuck a bit more power in the brz it might of converted a few more to try a mad little rwd but it was far from mad :(

I bet the Toyota sales would be better if they had of used there own engine aswell.

[quote author=KENC link=topic=42083.msg481784#msg481784 date=1403868081]
The brz was just the wrong car for Subaru..
Toyota have a rwd history with people waiting since 1986 for another corrolla rwd coupe equivelant to come along

Where Subaru fans were waiting for something far different.., comprising of 4wd and min 300bhp...
If they had of stuck a bit more power in the brz it might of converted a few more to try a mad little rwd but it was far from mad :(

I bet the Toyota sales would be better if they had of used there own engine aswell.
[/quote]

You could be right a out it not being the right car for Subaru but I don't think they would have sold anymore if it had more power, that's why they are not developing it, no one wants it. Give it 300hp and it pushes into Cayman territory.. The original idea was a cheap-to-run small rwd sports car, give it 300hp and it pushes into an insurance group where the target market can't afford it, pushes CO2 up and MPG down.
I don't think anyone wants a "performance" Subaru in Europe of any type, the STi is dead in the water in European terms.. they sold less than 2000 imprezas in total in Europe last year

Back