which track tyres ?????

wagon dec

Member Number 257
well lads I did the octane otd19 trackday in may and before it I fitted almost new but practically unused yokohama AO48 tyres to the ka ,so I went to the day and I have to say it transformed the ka I was lapping 2.07 with only 119bhp so I was delighted but by the end of the day the tyres were fucked see pic below
so I need to replace them what would you guys recommend the car weighes approx. 750kgs and runs almost -6 degrees camber up front .should I be on full slick race tyres ?
if so what compound for mondello ?
should I use tarmac rally tyres ?

Attachments

• DSC_0482.JPG
    DSC_0482.JPG
    571.2 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0484.JPG
    DSC_0484.JPG
    607.9 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC_0482.JPG
    DSC_0482.JPG
  • DSC_0484.JPG
    DSC_0484.JPG
  • DSC_0482.JPG
    DSC_0482.JPG
  • DSC_0484.JPG
    DSC_0484.JPG
Try find out what the Patch Fiestas use and move up a grade? With tyres that have more stick, will there be a need for that much camber?

Racing slicks would be the best but not cheap new, you might get second hand ones off backroads doh

Rally tyres would be to soft IMO for track

Could you not get 3 more days out off your tyres now buy swapping them around

My r888 were still pretty sticky with little or no thread on them

I'll put the fronts to the rear for the one in august and I'd say that will be it for them, I'll probably need tyres for the isdc trackday. Racing slicks are over 200 a tyre :shock2:

Theres a chap over on DTD who said he can get single used BTCC slicks and the likes at good prices.

Just in relation to rally tyres and I presume the same with other race based tyres
I'm told that they harden compound over time when not used so a set of once soft slicks could become pretty useless if not used

Hi Dec, used AD048s with my 600kgs 4x4 rally car and would get a whole season out of the medium and hard compounds. Wouldn't be running that kind of front camber though and this is I think where you might be seeing a lot of the wear. Looking at the wear and heat you got into them maybe they were soft compound ones? You can get the AD048s slightly cut open again (they will take a thin recut on the threads). Also seeing the amount of wear on the middle you might drop tyre pressure a tad... What toe were you running with that negative camber?

@nivek4209: yes they harden, but takes at least 2-3 years not using them - don't leave them outside though as speeds process up, but stored inside you can keep them a while.

Back