Another what oil question!

daveR

Petrolheads
Hi all,

So i need to get some oil for the Legacy and unsure which one to get. i searched through old threats here and two oils keep pooping up for the Legacy: Mobil 10w40 semi syntactic and 15w50.

My legacy is a 01 B4 which has been rebuilt some cosworth bits any pieces

Any recommendations greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

5w30 fully synthetic is what i use but everyone has there own favorite oil its like tyres everyone picks there own brand :thumbsup:

Depends how you use it, but here's a rule of thumb that would be too far off:

1. if standard and not tuned / mapped and used just for road use and odd spirited drive then 5W30 or 10W40 grades are fine, even semi synth.
2. if tuned / mapped then go with a slightly heavier oil like 5W40 upto 10W50 if using for daily driver and odd spirited blast or odd track experience and probably best to get a good synthetic, preferably ester based.
3. if like 2, but more flat out, more full on trackdays, or heavier mods / tunes, then may need a 10-15W50 or 10W60 fully synthetic ester based... and either way suggest you talk with your tuner or engine builder in that case to see what they recommend for your exact package.

Fully Synthetic is always better than Semi Synthentic, and Fully Synthentic with Ester oils is the very best.
Need to also make sure the ratings are up to date like SN etc as have to do with dopings etc put into the oil to keep emissions down and detergents that keep the engine clean. You can use slightly older ratings or semi synth if you change oil more frequently, whereas the fully synth with top ratings lasts longer with top protection. For full on track / race use again you want ester fully synth with a good rating as it has a much higher threshold for high temps (and still work well for longer).

Millers Ireland (you will find them on facebook), are doing Nanodrive full synthethic 10w 60 for €59 for 5L you will need about 4.5 litres anyway. I find it brilliant, but a lot of people say 60 is too viscous as I understand it the 10w is the cold start viscosity at start and the 60 is at working temperature.

I don't do much mileage so have always serviced every 6-9 months which always works out to be less than 3,000 kms or so which is probably over kill but its only 100 quid a year in the scheme of things, I reckon better safe than sorry. Before nanotech I was using Millers CFS 10w 60, which I think is no longer available. I think Dave used Motul 300v when he built mine, so it's obviously good stuff as well.

I bought a few of the last of the black subaru genuine filters online, and have been using them, not sure about using the blue Subaru ones heard bad things about the return valve and them loosening. At the end of the day Fram, Blue print etc are all probably the exact same made in the same factory.

One last tip, Dave gave me and I have been using, is to disconnect the crank position sensor and turn the engine over to bring oil pressure up before starting.

azamygej.jpg
the original black Subaru filters from what i can see. location. brand used across board etc is nippon.

Savage info there lads!! Definitely got a better understanding of different grades now :icon_grin:

Cheers :thumbsup:

Back