Log book and engine size

gerry

Octane Boostaholics
Before I ask this no I'm not going to do it as I'm a great believer in having things right. You see adds on Donedeal etc where a car could be 2.5 or 3 litre and it says down as a 2 litre on log book. If it was taxed as 2 litre and insured as 2.5, 3 litre sure if you had an accident your insurance would have to be non existent

it's a big thing with bmws gerry say the likes of a e39 530d down as a 2 litre,most people that know cars and i'm sure guards would too know that model didn't come with a 2 litre diesel engine and it def would have to be somewhat dodgy is it not tax fraud as well :dontknow:

Apart from the fraud concerns and getting caught by the Gards and/or insurance issues etc... emissions will be different, so if the logbook says 2.0, but you have a 2.5 or 3.0 in there, you will need to meet NCT test requirements for the smaller engine and that may work in a few cases, but often will not...

[quote author=Keadeen link=topic=41747.msg478018#msg478018 date=1400491676]
Apart from the fraud concerns and getting caught by the Gards and/or insurance issues etc... emissions will be different, so if the logbook says 2.0, but you have a 2.5 or 3.0 in there, you will need to meet NCT test requirements for the smaller engine and that may work in a few cases, but often will not...
[/quote]
Except before 1993 have a less harsh test so can get away with no cat and larger engine.
Pre 1980 cars are NCT exempt. :police:
The Guard is not a trained mechanic and can not tell what size your engine is.
I once had a 2.0lt car reg'd as a 1.6lt and never had a problem with emissions. :banana:

Afaik the emission limit is a set thing and doesn't matter about engine size... Only petrol or diesel.. That's why it's hard to get performance stuff to pass the emissions level that a 1ltr micra can pass..

Incorrect rate of motor tax is the summons. Know truck drivers who have been done for it. Paying for less weight etc...

I also know a guy who had a 1.4 corolla and had a 1.8 celica engine in it. Some guard knew his cars and knew the engine code and took the car off him. No insurance!

If the insurance is all legit and informed of the engine size (change) surely you are insured in the event of a crash/incident? Tax thing wouldnt bother me as I think the prices are hugely unfair but the insurance has to be correct imho

Ya sure, once you tell the insurance company before hand fine. If you could pay the premium after you told them that is! :shock2:

If your insurance details are correct, then you are insured. If a guard or someone notices in the event of a crash or at a checkpoint, etc, you could be up a brown creek and missing a paddle.

[quote author=Rob Spec C link=topic=41747.msg478063#msg478063 date=1400529202]
Last time I was stopped, I had a guard tell me mine was a 2.5 and refused to believe it was a 2l :facepalm
[/quote]

had you to show papers after

[quote author=Rob Spec C link=topic=41747.msg478078#msg478078 date=1400537852]
No, sure what official papers could you show to prove it's a 2L even if they requested them?
[/quote]

ya true

Back