Some experiences with tyres in 235/45/17

Keadeen

Tyres I tried in 235/45/17 over the past 4-5 years that I liked:

- Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 - Have them on the Hawk now and am very impressed! Excellent dry grip, very impressive wet grip and a strong improvement in steering response. They also seem to be reasonably durable as wear isn't that high for the level of performance they offer. Price is good too - would recommend!
- Nokian Z-Line G2 - absolutely excellent - on par with the Goodyears for both wet and dry grip (maybe even little better in the wet), but do wear very quick - the Goodyears seem more durable so far for similar grip and better steering response. If you can get them at the right price they are a good alternative.
- Toyo T1R or now called T1 Sport - excellent tyre, good wear, better than Pirelli Zero Nero for grip in dry and wet, but maybe marginally less than the Goodyears for grip and steering response. Still... a very capable tyre and if got at the right price a reasonable alternative (running them on my A4 which takes the same size as the Hawk).
- Continential SportContact5 - very good all-round in both dry and wet, probably on par with the Toyo and Nokian for grip and on par with the Goodyear for steering response. Again a very good alternative to the Goodyears, though they tend to be a bit more expensive unless you come across a good deal.

Tyres I wouldn't get again:
- Yokohama Advan Sport - extremely good in the dry (better than the Goodyears I think), adequate in the wet when new, but from 1/2 worn the grip in wet gets bad / frightening. With our climate I wouldn't get them again.
- Bridgestone RE050A - was good in its day, but there are now better tyres at better prices (see above).
- Michelin Pilot Sport3 - very good tyre, can't fault it, but wear quick enough and the price is just too dear as the Goodyears are more durable for similar performance and probably about €20-30 cheaper per corner which makes the Michelins uneconomical when compared.
- Dunlop - forget it, doesn't rate against some of the others above IMO
- Falken FK452 - wore out very quickly and didn't give the grip or steering response the Goodyears and others provided. Probably not a million miles from the P Zero Neros (just below them I would say).
- Pirelli P Zero Nero - They wore quickly, gave ok grip in the dry and wet, but the Goodyears are several times better as are the Nokians, Continentals and Toyos mentioned in the first category. Basically not a bad tyre, but there are better ones for similar or better money and the wear rate was high which really should have given better performance as a trade off. I wouldn't get them again.

Anyone any experiences with tyres not mentioned here and can give an indication of wet/dry grip, steering response and wear when compared to the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 (or others mentioned above)?

Currently on Federal 595 rsr in 235 40 r 18 , not mad money for a capable tyre , nice and positive in wet and dry conditions , have wore very well all though the fronts are showing their age now but stood up well on trackday , 130 quid a corner delivered

see here http://bbs.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/985774-federal-595-rsr-awesome-tyres.html praise on scabbynet is a rare thing so must be ok ,

had both re070's and 50's on the car also , as can be expected performance wise ,

i'm the same tommy have the 595 ss on mine since monday and so far seem capable in wet and dry,i'd have put in good years asymetrics again if i'd the money,i wouldn't rate the conti 5's anyway near the same as the good years never liked them in the wet

Need tyres ASAP what should I go for and where is best place to get them
Don't want to spend mad money but looking for a half decent brand
Thanks
Keith

keith try either oponeo or camskill and as said you can't go too wrong with good year asymetric 2 class tyre in wet and dry conditions

@Keadeen Do you have 235/45/17 on the OEM alloys on your sti. Mine came with 225/45/17

Yep, have two sets of OEM Hawkeye STI alloys... one set came with the car and the other I bought since and both came with 235/45/17 rubber.

think up to 245's work on them gerry , see some uk cars running them , have 235 currently on mine and even loaded down no rubbing or fowling , where 225s will rub on a non widetrack car if well loaded down ,

235 4517 was standard equipment on hawk spec c iirc

i have 225/40/18 on my Prodrives, gonna try fit 45's next time. Roads gotten so bad may help protect the wheels a little more.

Sadly iv done a fair bit of reading and trawling on tyre reviews and then settled on vredestein vorti 225/35/18.
Compared to eagles,contacts,federal 452s and toyos, these seem to be the best so far.
Very good in wet and dry and not loud. Got them at €135 each.
I'll be using them when the next 2 die.

Back