What to report to Insurance company?

Zheiko

Octane Boostaholics
I know, that any mods should be reported to the insurance company, so I just wanted to ask, I wanna lower my car by 30mm and change the brakes for stronger ones, are these changes that should be reported? will I need some piece of paper stating it was done professionally? Am I gonna receive any increases on my insurance pay?

thanks

Well one would imagine improving the handling and stopping power of any motorised vehicle would lower a premium sadly the only reason an insurance company asks about modifications is to increase the premium and also to make the policy null and void if said vehicle is involved in an accident and modifications are left undeclared. So that leaves the proposer ie you in a predicament either declare and pay a higher premium or don't and be left open to not being completely covered in case of an accident whether you're at fault or not. Personally I go for the higher premium, it doesn't make sense that you're penalised for being honest and saying what's been done to your car that improves it but that's how insurance companies work they are out to make money. As to the proof of work carried out that's not a necessity for renewal only if something happens then they'll want proof the work was done professionally. Hope this helps

:goodpost:

To add a little after a recent in-depth conversation with one of AXA's managers...
* Any parts originally available from Subaru (like putting STI springs or brakes on WRX), or any part specifically designed for your car but which doesn't change the specs (like a replacement shock from KYB instead of Subaru, but which keeps OEM stock ride height) is fine and doesn't need to be declared.
* Changing the ride-height needs to be declared.
* Different exhaust needs to be declared if the function is changed - I clarified this... apparently if you take away DPF or Cat then you need to declare and will see premium rise... if you put on stainless catback or replacement (highflow sports cat) you need to declare, but clearly state you didn't increase performance but instead got stainless for durability because the factory stuff is less good and stainless last longer (they won't load it for that he said).
* Remap ALWAYS needs to be declared! - They check with all cars if there is an accident he said... however... certain cars won't get a loading if declared properly. The example he gave was JDM cars - declare the remap and explain that it had to be remapped for the poor fuel we get in Ireland compared to the high octane fuel in Japan because else the engine fails. The underwritters know about this now and won't load your policy. If asked if the power is increased don't go there and just say "Nope not as far as I know as just asked them to remap to allow for the fuel here". - They don't check power, all they do with their test is plug in laptop to see if factory ecu settings or changed.

Keep in mind that this is only the advice of a manager in a single insurance company - they may and probably will, have different rules, but maybe still a reasonable guide.

Back