Impreza Queries

Obsolete01

Hello everyone,

I am looking for an impreza as a weekend car and do not want to spend big money as I have a diesel for Monday to Friday :)

So basically what I am wondering is what is the difference between all of the impreza models (wrx, was sti, p1, UK models) and there are probably many more...I'm not looking for a massive 600+bhp spec's one but just one that will not break my heart and knowing this information would really help me.

Thanks.

what model were ya thinkin classic up to 00/01 or new age 01 on, any budget in mind.

[quote author=blacktar link=topic=41629.msg476685#msg476685 date=1399242415]
what model were ya thinkin classic up to 00/01 or new age 01 on, any budget in mind.
[/quote]

Classic model but then again I'm not set on up to 00 and around 4k.

I had a version 6 type r sti before (standard) and a 2 door impreza but iwwasn't sure what it was tbh but it was well modified. So before i want to purchase I want to know what to get.

Some ppl say don't go near a wrx and others say different so I'd like to get Iit cleared up :banana:

Sounds like you want a newage WRX. Cheaper than STi to run and 90% of the fun. Newage cars a little more comfy too. GLWTS. :icon_grin:

Re: Re: Impreza Queries

[quote author=Eoin-S204 link=topic=41629.msg1#msg1 date=1399246872]
Sounds like you want a newage WRX. Cheaper than STi to run and 90% of the fun. Newage cars a little more comfy too. GLWTS. :icon_grin:
[/quote]

As long as I can throw a full exhaust system/Bailey Dump Valve/boost controller and an ecu ill be happy. But again I have been told that I shouldn't waste my time on a wrx.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

you shouldnt waste money on boost controller or other ecu a remap will see good results with simple mods.. for 4k just buy an sti and keep it standard

Up your budget a bit and get yourself a Blob or Bug Sti... That's where the value for money is at moment imo

Cheers for the information folks.

So if you line up a tuned wrx with a standard sti would the wrx win? People seem to have this negative thoughts towards wrx's so I just want to get the opinions from the right people (yourselves).

Also what are the red top engines that are in the impreza's as I have seen that engine in many different models and I have been told is a type r engine with 300bhp standard :wtf:

YES... a tuned WRX can easily leave a standard STI in the dust -- all about how much is spent tuning the WRX :multijump:
On Classics the engine is pretty much the same engine and minor mods and a remap will see similar or better power on a WRX over an STI with comparable reliability. Of course other things like suspension and brakes will need some attention.
On Newage cars it is less straight forward as the WRX and STI engines are quite different. Some minor mods and remap would definitely see similar or slights better power figures than a stock STI; though if going for big(ger) power the STI engine will go further without spending big money to ensure reliability. Things like gearbox, brakes and suspension again may need attention - though keep in mind parts are easy enough got to do a rolling upgrade as you find bits.

Lads are right that probably the best value right now money vs performance and at your buget, is in the Bug STI. Deffo, don't look for the cheapest you can get -- it is worth spending 1000-2000 more upfront to get a really clean car in great nick compared to a really cheap one that will break your heart, and cost 3000-5000 over time to put right. There isn't a great market out there for these cars, so you can afford to be picky and leave the "dogs" to get a clean one!

"Red Top" doesn't mean a whole lot.
BTW... It actually is the intake manifold that is painted red.

There are quite a number of power outputs for engines with red manifolds from the factory... and at this stage many stock WRX engines have been painted to appear to be something different from what they are.

What will give you a better indication is looking at the engine type number and looking it up online to see what power it came with. Similarly the chassis number can give you a better indication (if you verify that the engine number on the VIN plate matches the engine that's fitted). Obviously many engines have been upgraded and mapped and in that case you want to see a graph that lists the VIN/Reg and also lists if it represents numbers on RON95, RON98, or booster etc (don't just take graphs as gospel and ask the right questions to verify numbers).

Good luck with the hunt for the right car! :thumbsup:

Ok interesting so if an impreza has the red manifold it doesn't mmean it has 320bhp standard???

I'm also looking at an evo5/legacy/gt four or an rx7 but something is pushing me towards an impreza :)

if you want a gt4 a mate of mine is selling a mint 99 one which is ultra rare its on donedeal,the only imprezathat was factory standard 320 bhp was a wr1 iirc and the only one standard at 300 was a classic s201 newage prodrive editions were 305 bhp up from 265 when they had the prodruve pack which was an extra
all sti impreza have red manifolds

Rb320!!

Forget about bhp numbers as a classic impreza with 250hp will be as quick as a 300hp new age

And don't believe ANYBODY that tells you they 400hp unless they have a print out with a big bill for parts

could a Wr1 or Rb320 be described as factory cars ? both prodrive packs and different wheels really .

just been picky lol

if ya can buy it from a dealer and its backed with warranty its a factory car no matter who builds it!! sure the rs500 focus was tuned by mountune and it was a factory car with full dealer warranty

Back