2005 GT.SpecB - Engine issues!

theSpecifier

Sunday Drivers
Hi Guys,
On the way to a stag weekend, the engine blew on the Galway road. 4 lads left standing for an hour with no booze (it didnt matter to me as the driver). An interesting start to the weekend.
The issue is that the con rod has come through the engine block and appears to have destroyed the engine. The AA man says that this is common enough.
So looking for a replacement engine, code EJ20XDKAJE.
It the single turbo twin scroll with only standard factory mods producing 280bhp.
Who would be the man to talk to? the AA are looking to get this off their books, and out of their yard.

I saw there on the UKLegacy.com site that a man HenryJ (of Kildare) had his 2004 Legacy GT SpecB (I think?) blow up. Anyone hear about this and what the cure was?
Thanks for any help.
Hugh

cure is build her better and stronger plenty of lads on her have used allie burrows top class service and to say he's anal is an understatement,he's based up north and is a trader on here

Welcome to the club! Was it remapped? Driven hard and low oil can cause this. Same happened to mine. Get an Sti short block and pray the heads aren't damaged. All depends on how much u want to spend to get it right. New Sti crate motor is about 2k plus ancillaries, u wouldn't see 4 grand go.

as above.

super weak conrods. also suffer from low oil pressure situations..

putting a new sti bottom end in is the way forward from experience.

let me know if require anymore insight.

Thanks Men.
The car has not been re-mapped. Its had a new lamba sensor, and the mechanic got in a guy to do something to ensure that the emissions were all OK. I don't know what he did or if there was work done to the chip.
Oil was only recently changed and levels checked the day before it broke.
Where do I get a new STI engine? AA man spoke with Carroll & Roche who indicated 3k for a short block, and up to 8k for a full new engine (more than the car is worth when she runs).
anyone have an email or phone number for Allie Burrows?

Thanks

Davelegacy above can help if ur around Dublin/Meath area. Ali Burrows is up north . number should be in the traders section.

Talk to Adrian Dunne on here he recently got his rebuilt by Ali but he did a lot of work himself too which help saves a lot!

If u got some low quality fuel and still mapped for jap fuel and pushed hard with a few lads in the car a bit of bad knock is probably what caused conrod number 3 to leave the block :)

Another option is to get some used block and recondition it with standard Sti internals and rebuild that way, it might save a few hundred. Some things u can save on bit I would definitely go with new timing belt kit with water and oil pump, new oil modine cooler and get heads pressure tested and faced if they are re-usable. Good luck!

sounds very like used dipatine in fuel and lowered the fuel quality and suffered det.

with conrod through the block there is huge chance also head damage.

serious situation in finding parts etc.

i may have one coming in soon.

Although on second hand parts there is zero long term warranty.

My heads were fine, few bent valves but nothing major. Pray they are intact! Sepc c JDM heads May fit with some work. As Dave said legacy heads are rare as cook!

Re: Re: 2005 GT.SpecB - Engine issues!

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=41550.msg1#msg1 date=1398539384]
My heads were fine, few bent valves but nothing major. Pray they are intact! Sepc c JDM heads May fit with some work. As Dave said legacy heads are rare as cook!
[/quote]

spec c not dual avcs.

hatch is in japan.

although im sure way around using only inlet avcs heads and map around it if in a situation were we had to.

plugs out and camera in tell you pretty sharpish if either head casting is fecked.

also have access to dual 2.5 avcs heads.

so could in theory go 2.5 dual avcs road as well.

all ifs and buts until inspect engine and take it from there.

Back