GARDAÍ ‘BREAKING THE LAW’ BY SEIZING UNTAXED CARS – CAMPAIGNER

Markokavo

ISDC Club Member
MOTORISTS should take legal action against Gardaí or Revenue officials who seize their vehicles as officers are breaking European laws, a campaigner has claimed.

And John Doherty from the Irish Drivers Association says motorists would WIN any legal challenge.

He says it’s the Irish Government which is breaking the law and the seizure of vehicles for unpaid taxes – like road tax or vehicle registration tax (VRT) – actually breaches European legislation.

Referring to the seizure of six more vehicles near Ballybofey on Monday – and one in which a man says he suffered a suspected heart attack – Mr Doherty said Gardaí are breaking the law.

“The Gardaí and customs are acting under instruction from Michael Noonan to seize vehicles under the 1992 Finance Act which is contrary to Article 15 of the constitution for unpaid road tax and Customs Duty which is prohibited under article 25 of the Treaty of Rome,” said Mr Doherty.

“Once again this proves that Garda resources are been dedicated to extorting revenue from an already hard pressed motorist while so many crimes go unsolved.”

He has once again urged anyone who has had their car seized to take immediate legal steps.

Mr Doherty added: “European law supersedes Irish law.”

http://www.donegaldaily.com/2014/04/07/gardai-breaking-the-law-by-seizing-untaxed-cars-campaigner/

Does mr Doherty have any idea on how much it would cost to challenge it? Maybe he will pay?

They are gone mad in donegal chattin friend the other night customs in around the housing estates at night takin regs for the morning check points goin on since Christmas.

The way the guards see it, if they have to pay tax, insurance and nct so do you...
Most cars impounded are well out of tax

[quote author=Just Nick link=topic=41408.msg473936#msg473936 date=1397079982]
Don't know if it will make a difference but didn't they change road tax to "motor tax".
[/quote]

They done the exact same thing with vrt... Wasn,t that called something else at the start and the Eu said it was illegal and then they changed the name to vrt????

I tax my car at great expense every year and I know plenty of lads driving around without it who think there smarter than me. I d love to see there cars taken from them and rightly so!

Back