Possible catch can group buy????

KENC

ISDC Club Member
Anyone interested in getting a group buy going for some OBP Baffled catch cans?

Yes I am looking to get one of these and would be interested in this.

What I want to do was flush out all the oil/dirt/muck from inside of intercooler because I have a feeling that my never-cleaned intercooler is the restriction that is not allowing the engine to suck air in fast enough on full boost (430ft/lbs @ 1.7Bar) and it is pointless to do this if the engine is then going to dump oil back into it continuously.

Anyone know of good way to clean inside intercooler ie. chemical/solvent to use?

If no one else wants one then maybe share postage even (i'm in dublin)

What engine have you? And what bhp? Your turbo could be Maxd out

Lads murray motorsport do obp catch cans they might be worth a call seen as they're a site trader,who know they might be able to look after us i'd be very interested in one

Yea Rob they are, stops oil getting into your intake, oil will basically lower the octane of your fuel, so it's not ideal. Think one of some kind would be well worth investing in if your going to do track work, there is a good possibility on bends at speed and sticky rubber that oil will work it's way up the rocker cover breathers and into the inlet

Does are no good Colm, OBP do a Subaru specific can, so it had the correct size ports iirc 16mm, anything smaller can cause back pressure etc etc also they have 3 ports to suit Subaru.

@ ken would murray motorsport not be able to get the ones you're talking seen as they supply obp products :dontknow: i seen the ones you're talking about and look very good and are priced fairly good too

I posted a query in there section earlier on, I'm sure they can get them, see will they get back about it.

The ones that Colm posted the link to are kind of a universal catch can, Subaru is a bit finicky, with it's pipe size and the amount of breathers.

I need to invest in one, the 2ltr coke bottle is so 2013 :)

[quote author=KENC link=topic=41384.msg473718#msg473718 date=1396982847]
What engine have you? And what bhp? Your turbo could be Maxd out
[/quote]

Bhp over 400 according to OBDII. I'm sure turbo is maxed out, just on full boost (when according to OBDII fuel rate goes from about 4litres/hour to over 100litres/hour consumption) it appears it could do with more O2 - fuel smell reported in exhaust tells me its running rich (unburnt fuel) at max boost. Of course it could be normal for a fuel smell at such high fuel rates (maybe burnt fuel at high rate is still petrol smell). In any case apart from this I would like engine not recycling its oily muck into the intake/intercooler/throttle body for peace of mind and cleanliness sake. Don't know how easy they are to install though - doesn't appear to be much or any room left in engine bay.

To clean out your intercooler, I would plug one end and fill her up with petrol, wash it out that way,

There is no harm to use them Colm, ultimately you will have a cleaner throttle body, intercooler, pipe work, turbo etc etc...
It's the like of track use or launches is where the oil can effect the clean burn.

For example I had an sti6 and if I launched it hard, the next morning when I start it up it would fill the yard with smoke... And then clear...
Reason was when I launched the car, oil was coming up the crank breather, under boost then it would stick to pipes and intercooler, when it would be left stopped for a while the oil would get to pool and that's what I was getting on start up, that pooled oil burning off.. Catch can sorted that.

If your doing a lot of short journeys and town driving you will find that the can will fill with a rather horrible looking water.

Back