Advice on a Passat

bandriszal

Petrolheads
I am looking for a diesel car reliable enough as I have to drive much more due to new job and other things. It`s around 25k miles a Year.
My initial idea was a 320D but the ones I have money for were s...t.
Than someone recommended the passat . Went to view one Today, I was generally happy with the car but I found that strange there is no boost up to ~3000 rev in first and second gear but from 3rd the boost is "kicking" from 2200. Is that the way it supposed to be?
There is no smoke , no rattles or knocks. 146k miles

any advice appreciated

VAG group stuff and high mileage cars and repair costs vs petrol 1.6.

The repair costs of diesel soon outweigh fuel saving imo

Ford mondeo 08 era with 2.0 tdci engine very reliable for high miles 300000kms plus.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

What's your budget on a car BAwagon?
In the diesel you should be shifting at around 3000rpm not looking for more out of her, give her a gear and your boost should be there waitin to kick in, the only gear you go over 3000 is top if your in a panic, what year and what size stove in the passat???

Thanks for advice,
unfortunately budget wouldn`t allow a `08 mondeo.
It`s a `03 1.9 PDTDI ( red DI) 6 speed.

The older passats seem to be a lot better than the newer ones..

But as above... If diesel gives trouble it can be really expensive... Injectors and pumps are all common enough trouble... Especially lately, I've heard lots if talk about the diesel quality causing issues...

Weigh it all up, higher tax, more expensive to fix... And the stink of the fukn thing on your hands when filling up.. Lol

"Apparently" they were a bad child, the six speed box that is. VW apparently hadn't got their sh*t together with their boxes at the time. 5 speed box is supposed to be a better car, 6 speed with a good history should be ok, just be careful of rattles or grinding going into gear, if it has them you could be looking at a replacement gearbox after some time.
Good luck with the purchase man

Back