Anyone got a rear hub for a Classic?

Colm Mc

Sunday Drivers
Anyone got a rear, passenger side hub for a '00 GC8? It's an Irish, 2.0L Turbo, with ABS.

The car has had an appetite for rear bearings on the back left. This will be the 3rd time replacing them in 30K miles!! This time Im hoping to change the hub too and hopefully fix the problem for good :)

[quote author=BazGF8 link=topic=41186.msg471371#msg471371 date=1395272857]
Who's putting the bearings in for you and what you torquing the hub nut to
[/quote]
Three different lads have fitted bearings to it over the years. Ive never done it myself, what's the recommended torque on the hub Baz?

- I bought the car in '09 and replaced the rear pair of bearings soon after, with spurious parts.
- Shortly after that it got a bit rumbly back there again, so I replaced them again, but with Genuine Subaru brgs.
- I then sold the car and the new owner found the back-left needed replacing, so it got changed out again!

- I then bought the car back from him! :wrxsmiley

- Approx 3k miles later that corner is growling again, so I figure its worth replacing with a new hub.

[quote author=Catalunya 69 link=topic=41186.msg471453#msg471453 date=1395336042]
One there, 0876920657, 50€
[/quote]

Looks like we have a winner here!

Does anyone know if an ABS hub from a '97 Classic would fit a '00 Classic? From what we can tell, Catalunya's one has non-vented discs, while the discs on mine are the vented 266mm ones.

If the hub is common to all Im sorted :)

I find out that hubs are the same, only diferents are witch abs connection, only what u need is keep your abs sensor there. Txt or ring me pal again because I lost u nr

If your bearing is going bad so quickly, but not super quickly *like in 500-1000 miles, your cause could be something else..

Could be a bent trailing arm or link..
Could be a wheel out of round...
Could be a blown strut valve...
Over-tightening the axle nut...
half-shaft badly out of balance..
Could also be something caught in the hub, not allowing bearing to seat when pressed back in too.

Thanks for the reply LRG. My theory is that the hub is the root cause, so I'll change it along with a new bearing and see how it goes. Ive put up a wanted ad on another forum & replied to a bunch of Donedeal ads for lads breaking Scoobys. Hopefully I get it sorted before too long :)

Could be a bent trailing arm or link: the geo is in spec.

Could be a wheel out of round: Ive recently swopped the rears to the front, and there is a bit of imbalance at motorway speeds. This might be part of the reason. If its the case, I'll have moved the problem to the front!

Could be a blown strut valve: shocks are in good order

Over-tightening the axle nut: A possibility, but its not the first time Ive had to change it. It was fitted by a different guy each time. Maybe!

half-shaft badly out of balance: No wobbles from the back end

Could also be something caught in the hub, not allowing bearing to seat when pressed back in too: With a new hub, I'll know.

You're welcome!

To be honest, most of the wheel bearing failures I've seen were due to:

-Wheels spacers
-Dunking in water/fording too deep of water
-Wheel or Tire out of round or out of balance
-Combo of worn struts/sway bar hardware

I figured your car doesn't swim regularly or would drive around on bad struts. hehe

Back