MY02 WRX brakes?

Zheiko

Octane Boostaholics
Hey,

I found a lad that has 02 WRX as a project, and I have checked some bits and I might be buying the brake calipers from him. Its the SUBARU branded brakes, are these the Brembo - rebranded brakes or not?

I think its 3x 'pistons' fronts and 2x 'pistons' rear.

They are not Brembo calipers no. so pads, discs etc are different

They are Subaru calipers , 4pots on the front , 2 pot on the rear , 294mm discs on the front and 290mm on the rear

as above :thumbsup: factor in a seal kit unless there less that 100000 miles while there off :goodjob:

id check to make sure you haven't got front 4 pots all ready . my sport had 4 pots up front even though they looked different to the wrx caliper they used the same pad . Basically they were the wrx brakes just without subaru stamped on them like the wrx

[quote author=Tommy 555 link=topic=41064.msg469933#msg469933 date=1394469146]
id check to make sure you haven't got front 4 pots all ready . my sport had 4 pots up front even though they looked different to the wrx caliper they used the same pad . Basically they were the wrx brakes just without subaru stamped on them like the wrx
[/quote]

Well, I think I have 2x pots in front and 1x in rear... I think... not sure tho... I will check whats the mileage on that WRX and see, but the calipers should not need changing after 100k miles, should they?

Also, they seemed WAY bigger than what I have now, so I think it should be an upgrade anyways.

I can have all four of them for 200e, what do you guys think? is that a fair price for these?

These ones are the ones I have in front. They look way different from the WRX. Do you Tommy have idea if this is 4pot?
JglfYqQ.jpg

[quote author=BazGF8 link=topic=41064.msg470072#msg470072 date=1394530866]
They are 2 pots in the picture
[/quote]

great, thats exactly what I thought, so going for the Subaru branded 4pots and 2pots for rear will be lifechanging improvement...

Now question of the price, is 200 alrite for all four of them?

[quote author=Zheiko link=topic=41064.msg470076#msg470076 date=1394538459]
[/quote]

great, thats exactly what I thought, so going for the Subaru branded 4pots and 2pots for rear will be lifechanging improvement...

[/quote]

Lifechanging no , an improvemnet over your own brakes ...yes :icon_grin:
200 is a bargain for calipers if they are what you say they are but proper discs and pads will cost possible €350-€400

[quote author=BazGF8 link=topic=41064.msg470079#msg470079 date=1394540732]
[quote author=Zheiko link=topic=41064.msg470076#msg470076 date=1394538459]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Lifechanging no , an improvemnet over your own brakes ...yes :icon_grin:
200 is a bargain for calipers if they are what you say they are but proper discs and pads will cost possible €350-€400
[/quote]

yea, thats expected:) I will get them, but I will not be installing them immediately. First they will go through refurbish, respray etc, then I will slowly order the discs and pads in the way I can afford it, and when all ready, install all at same time:)

Sorry to :bump2: this thread again and bringing it from dead, but few questions appeared...

So, first, if I am changing from smaller to bigger, I will need:

Calipers, Discs, pads, is there something else I might need?

Now why am I asking is, that friend of mine, who has a bit of understanding, mentioned, that if I am planning to fit bigger discs, I might need to adjust/change the way the calipers are mounted on the disc. That since I am fitting bigger, there might be some different kind of mounting - how does this work? Is here anyone who had done the conversion from small 2pots to bigger 4 pots brakes? Do we have any How-To guide so I can prepare myself before I start spending cash on it?

i did this on the legacy . the front calipers will bolt straight on 294mm discs on first then put the caliper on . the rears will require a bracket to mount the 2 pot calipers . you will also need new rear discs cant think of the size off hand think there 230 mm . the lad selling them might have the brackets for the rear 2 pots anyway no point getting 2 sets :thumbsup: hope this helps a bit

[quote author=scoobysub link=topic=41064.msg471155#msg471155 date=1395150613]
i did this on the legacy . the front calipers will bolt straight on 294mm discs on first then put the caliper on . the rears will require a bracket to mount the 2 pot calipers . you will also need new rear discs cant think of the size off hand think there 230 mm . the lad selling them might have the brackets for the rear 2 pots anyway no point getting 2 sets :thumbsup: hope this helps a bit
[/quote]

Cool, I dont think the lad will have any problems with letting the brackets go, what else would he do with them I wonder... so if he even gets back to me, I will try asking him if I can get these too...

These are the front calipers you get from a 02WRX. They have a bigger standoff to fit the larger discs. The hoses are standard and not braided.

041_zpsa47590f3.jpg

yup. those are the ones I have seen on the car. So these will need different bracketing from my standard 2pots as well, right? So do I need some kind of mounting to take too? I would like to take from the lad everything I need, except the parts that I will be getting new - meaning discs and pads of course:)

The front will bolt straight on and rears may need brackets or wrx hubs. When ordering discs and pads you order for 2002 up wrx

Back