Coolant/Antifreeze..???

JAMIE-TYPERV6

Octane Boostaholics
Morning All,

They may be some reference on the forum to this but I can't find any exact answer... hence I started this post for future reference for others. I'm aslo quite lazy when it comes to searchng Google :whistle:

I need to replace the coolant on the wagon (GF8) this week as the rad is being replaced. I can't find one definitive answer to what type of coolant is best recommended for Subarus. I could buy Subaru branded coolant which I'm sure is nothing more than a main brand with a Subaru label on it and at an extortionate price. There are specifics types that are suitable for the alloy blocks and I gather it needs to be long-life (logically all cars generally use long life these days).

Does anyone know what brand is best suited to them... or if there is no specific brand... is there a certain type...?

And most importantly... how much coolant is there in a classic Impreza if doing a full flush...?? I'm beng told conflicting info from 4 litres to 7 litres.

I've found a very useful pages that explains coolant in detail... but nothing specific to Subaru.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/841/coolant-fundamentals

Cheers,

J...

I know its almost a year since this thread was last posted on, but since its the same topic I didn't see any point in starting a new thread. Apologies in advance if that isn't the correct approach.

Anyway, like the thread originator I'm planning on swapping out my coolant hoses in the very near future and I need help with the type of coolant to put back in. I've read through the owners handbook and all it says is; For adding, use genuine SUBARU coolant or an equivalent: a mixture of 50% soft water and 50% ethelyne-glycol basis coolant. To be honest that means nothing to me and I'm none the wiser as to what I can use.

For simplicity and convenience I had a look at the Halfords website to reference things and it's presented me with

Halfords OAT Ready Mixed Antifreeze 5 Litres Extra Info

5 Year Life
Suitable for all year round - anti freeze / summer coolant
Temperature range from +108C / -34C
Silicate free, organic acid technology (OAT) for superior engine protection
Compatible with all vehicle manufacturers' colours of OAT coolants
Enhanced corrosion protection

Halfords Silicate Antifreeze Concentrate 2 Litres Extra Info

2 Year Life
Suitable for all year round - anti freeze / coolant
Temperature range from +108C / -34C
Silicate (IAT) based Standard technology
Conforms to BS6580:1992
Corrosion protection

Comma G48 Antifreeze and Coolant Ready Mixed 5L Extra Info

Typical service life of up to 3 years
Safeguarded with bittering agent to help prevent accidental ingestion
Service Classification: BS 6580:2010

From a little reading on the NASIOC it would appear that the silicate option should definitely be avoided, but are either of the other 2 good enough to use in the Scooby? And if they're not - what should I be looking for and where? Or should I just get some from a Subaru main dealer altogether and forget about worrying?

Thanks in advance.

was talking to one of the lads in work about this stuff and he was saying they wore using some thing similar in our chillers in work and he said the ethylene glycol is like an anti freeze that's in the product and in my job they found it took abit more time for the product to circulate that it was like a gel ,not sure if its different in a car being a smaller system :dontknow:

Lads i have emailed millers asking for any info they could supply about the use of the waterless coolant in our cars as i would be interested in this if its as good as people say.

I will post up the reply once recieved.

Back