insurance yet again

My 2014 renewal came the other day, it was €936, that's up 6 quid on last year,

Not too bad I thought considering the way things are but was expecting it to be a little lower, so went in to a local broker today and came out 5min later with a new quote for €750 :banana:

I got 660 from axa fully comp with all the extras at 32 with ncb

They rang me to see was I happy with the quote and I told them I was quoted 640 elsewhere so it dropped from 809 to 660

Sent from my iPhone thingy

[quote author=Tommy 555 link=topic=40356.msg467114#msg467114 date=1392747823]
thats not Bad at all Nick ,
[/quote]

It sur ain't Tommy:) I remember my ins on my first sti in 05 which was 2800 or something like that!
I'm stumped as to how a 5lt can be less than a 2lt :dontknow: not complaining, just amazed.

Nice one Aaron.

[quote author=Just Nick link=topic=40356.msg467128#msg467128 date=1392751654]
[quote author=Tommy 555 link=topic=40356.msg467114#msg467114 date=1392747823]
thats not Bad at all Nick ,
[/quote]

It sur ain't Tommy:) I remember my ins on my first sti in 05 which was 2800 or something like that!
I'm stumped as to how a 5lt can be less than a 2lt :dontknow: not complaining, just amazed.

Nice one Aaron.
[/quote]

beat this I got an online quote of just under 1,500 last week on the rs :shock2: the cheapest quote I got was 690 fully comp :eek7:
started messing around and got a quote for the e60 m5 for 770 euro ....a c63 amg for 850 euro and a Austin martin db9 for 1150....
what the fu*k is goin on at all :ponder2: :ponder2:

not worried about those quotes coz I can get classic insurance for abot 250.....

insurance is fooked, friend just bought a 99 impreza turbo gt, insurance is 490, beacuse it is a gt, if it was just impreza turbo they wanted 1400, mental

[quote author=blacktar link=topic=40356.msg467187#msg467187 date=1392759751]
insurance is fooked, friend just bought a 99 impreza turbo gt, insurance is 490, beacuse it is a gt, if it was just impreza turbo they wanted 1400, mental
[/quote]

Sign him up :icon_lol:

Not sure if they're the same company, but I was with Axa for a few years in the North and they are an absolute shower.

With Admiral now but not sure if they cover the South?

Does all of you guys who are with AXA insurance have NO MODIFICATIONS whatsoever with your car???,

... because I got online quote fully comp for €740 and then they rang me and offered it for €650 and I was going ahead with it until he asked me the legal questions section and asked about modifications and when I said it had he went off and asked underwriters and came back and said sorry we can't quote you at all now - they are not accepting any cars with any modifications on them any more. Pissed me off :angry1:

Depends on modifications, if it's a different engine then yes, but alloys, brakes, mapped, turbo then no.

Axa were moaning to me about a front mount when I asked for a quote there a few weeks ago and said they won't insure me because of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

[quote author=midlandbe5 link=topic=40356.msg471613#msg471613 date=1395410300]
Depends on modifications, if it's a different engine then yes, but alloys, brakes, mapped, turbo then no.
[/quote]

you have a different engine in it and you have AXA insurance? they probably won't pay out on any future claim then because they don't want to insure any cars with modification of any kind i was told.

Recently got some quotes from AXA and declared following mods:

Full stainless steel exhaust including road and NCT legal sports cat
Engine remap "to allow for Irish poor quality fuel as standard map demands 98 octane not available in this country"
Coilovers (car not excessively lowered and near stock ride height) -don't have these on but wanted to declare as was planning ahead

They did need to go check with the underwriters, but came back with approval at the €800 mark full comp.
AA who I am currently with charged me €740 last time around with same stuff declared (underwritten by AXA).

The above are about the max extend of mods they allow though... they said they would allow upgrades to brakes provided there was documentation clearly stating that the brakes were OEM fitment or specifically designed for your car/model. They REALLY don't like FMIC conversions and will not take them (and found that with most insurance companies) and some will also not accept coilovers. BTW... see the "...." description after the remap... if you push this point and say you had no choice but remap due to poor fuel and didn't do it for more power than usually they will accept as the underwriting departments know this is an issue on some cars.

Yeah the problem is the underwriters are not stupid. If they even get a hint of "fast & furious" from any car they just don't want it. Once I mentioned turbo, intake and exhaust that was it - bullet straight through my own foot there and I knew it. And why should they risk taking €700 for a modified 300+BHP STi when they can takes hundreds of safe-bet 110BHP cars at €400-€500 instead?

So if AXA underwrites the AA then that means the quote I got on AA site is bollox too then...

AA uses both AXA and Alianz for car insurance underwriting (RSA for home insurance)... Also, initially last year I had issues with AXA over mods (who I had been with for 7 years prior), but then no issue at all with AA and lower quote too by about 300 compared to AXA... so you can imagine my surprise when the documents arrived in the post and I found out it was AXA who was the underwriter.

... sorry for the long write up... short answer: nope, you might still be ok..

What intake and turbo mods are you running?
If just uprated panel then wouldn't declare, turbo wouldn't declare either unless very clearly visible as non OEM and exhaust should be fine to declare as long as it has a sports cat on it etc as can argue that replaced with "long life" stainless steel for longevity rather than performance.

General rule when declaring mods is not to sound "fast and furious" and as long as you have a reasonable explanation why the mods had to be done (stainless exhaust doesn't rust and the original was falling apart - ecu had to be mapped for the poorer quality fuel which damages my car with the original map... etc you get the point) then they are much more willing to look at it and accept them.

[quote author=geogan link=topic=40356.msg471615#msg471615 date=1395413038]
[quote author=midlandbe5 link=topic=40356.msg471613#msg471613 date=1395410300]
[/quote]

you have a different engine in it and you have AXA insurance? they probably won't pay out on any future claim then because they don't want to insure any cars with modification of any kind i was told.
[/quote]

Sorry I meant if I had a 2.5 instead of a 2.0 then I would declare (because they know about engine codes)
But if I have Carbon Lorraine pads instead of motor factor Delphi I'm not gonna
I've seen insurance pay out on coilovers, but they were on the third party's car

I'd say 70% of lads on here are not insured due to mods they are not telling insurance people about

Back