my pu-ka project

wagon dec

Member Number 257
well lads as some of ye know iv been building a ka track car for the past while and it has been a labour of love for me its been great crack doin it and while it cost me very little in parts etc it has a big cost in labour time so here is a few pics and a spec of it

the project car: 1998 ford ka 1.3 endura 60bhp 49000 miles 1 owner from new
the donor car: 1999 ford puma 1.7vct 126bhp 80000 miles body rusted out full service history

the finished spec :
1.1.7 vct engine and loom ecu pipercross induction kit
2.puma ib5 gearbox with techni clutch kit
3.exhaust 4 branch manifold ,decat ,puma exhaust modified to centre exit
4.suspension: front track widened 40mm with extended wishbones and puma drive shafts
rear track widened 40mm with ford motorsport axle widening kit
new rear axle bushes and axle stiffening plates welded in
puma steering rods and ends fitted to ka rack
gaz gold height and damping adjustable coilovers set at -60mm
mounting points on chassis for suspension seam welded
front camber set at -6 degrees rear camber is -2degrees
5.brakes for now:
puma front discs and calipers with mintex racing pads
puma rear hubs and brakes
6. wheels :
puma 15" alloys with avon tyres for now will fit toyo r888s next
7.interior :
fully stripped out everthing except dash, puma instrument cluster and wiring loom fitted
cobra bucket seats and 4 point harnesses battery relocated to rear of car and kill switch fitted
rear strut brace welded in and camera mount fitted

Attachments

• ka2.jpg
    ka2.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 176
  • ka3.jpg
    ka3.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 168
  • ka2.jpg
    ka2.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 169
  • ka1.jpg
    ka1.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 161
  • ka.jpg
    ka.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 175
  • ka3.jpg
    ka3.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 172
  • ka.jpg
    ka.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 193
  • ka1.jpg
    ka1.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 170
  • ka.jpg
    ka.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 178
  • ka3.jpg
    ka3.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 186
  • ka2.jpg
    ka2.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 182
  • ka1.jpg
    ka1.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 182
  • ka.jpg
    ka.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 193
  • ka3.jpg
    ka3.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 197
  • ka2.jpg
    ka2.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 188
  • ka1.jpg
    ka1.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 184
its basically a set of blocks that fit between the hub and the axle and comes with longer high tensile bolts ,I wouldn't think so ian no air bags or anything and the front camber would definitely fail track car only im afraid

Attachments

• pamaspeed.jpg
    pamaspeed.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 567
  • pamaspeed.jpg
    pamaspeed.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 568
  • pamaspeed.jpg
    pamaspeed.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 573
  • pamaspeed.jpg
    pamaspeed.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 571
Great stuff dec,

Seen this move at the training day, it will defo scare a few cars at the track day!!!

track wepon :clap3: :clap3: and you you driving dec it will be very quick :thumbsup: 1.7 in a ka will be good to see :thumbsup:

thanks lads I love it ,not what lads expect as a track car everyone goes for Hondas etc so I wanted something different I know its not big power or anything like that but for its size its fun and handles very well also its very close to my wagon in power to weight ratio so its not exactly slow its standing me about 800 euro finished atm not including my labour so its cheap fun and well suited to mondellos technical circuit ..cant wait to try it out at the track day :clocks:

@keith it was a bitch I had to make all the engine mounting points fully remove the front chassis spacer and make my own one and strip the full puma wiring loom to leave only engine management loom but I like that sort of work so I enjoyed doin it
@Jamie more than welcome to a spin man as are any of ye lads just come on over to me ye can come for a spin

got the brake pads in today and a brake fluid change to ferodo 5.1 after that I made a mount for the camera so all set for the trackday now cant wait :clocks:

got myself a gearshift unit from a focus 2.0 rally car over the Christmas and also a focus 1.6 gearbox so my next job is to convert the ka from the old rod system to the newer cable shift system that the focus has so I can raise the gearshift unit higher up and closer to me as at the minute its a bit of a stretch from the seating position also it will give me a crisper gear change

thats the job dec ya should have went for a 5 speed sequential box :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: . small changes can make a big improvement . ps dont for get the kill switch :thumbsup:

Back