oil for 06 sti?

Liam wrxsti

Sunday Drivers
So its time for an oil change and am just wondering what king of oil is recommended for a 06 hawk sti?? rang subaru in cork city and they said 10w 40 and anything but mobul.

Sot then was talking to a lad that has these cars on the road and has 2 for rallys and he said a 5w 30 low ash oil.

Wat ye reckon?? going to do the oil and filter and possibly the diff oil while im at it...

:mechanic:

I have used mobil in my car for about 60k miles and never an issue now I use Castrol 5w30 semi synthetic from both a lot of lads use motul in there cars

i know its often used in lads cars. I was very surprised when he said it to me. Id say honestly he didn't know really what he was talking about.

Ya iv been looking at castrol 5w30. might go for that. any other suggestions?

Sounds like that lad knows fcuk all!

Used mobil1 in my Impreza since day 1, never an issue.

I'd go mobil1 or Motul if it were me.
Depends on your driving style but I wouldn't fancy 5/30 in an Sti engine.

He said anything but motul or mobil 1 so he really knows fook all . Always use mobil 1 myself never a probkem everyone has there own oil they rather use .change it every 5 or 7 k and youll be grand :thumbsup:

I guess there's plenty of info out there on oil and... plenty of opinions too.

Comes down to how you use your car and how standard it is - as what is best and great for one application would be bad for another car.

Either way it makes no sense to go for a semi-synth... reduced protection, reduced service life... for only marginal saving (especially when looked at from a €/km cost)

For best protection go for a full synthetic ester oil based product.
Good brands certainly are Fuchs Silkolene Pro S, Motul 300v, Millers Nanodrive CFS

Next best option is a full Synthetic not ester based, or with an ester % content like Castrol EDGE, Mobil1 etc.

Next of course there's the question of grades...
5w30 will give you more economy and a good choice in colder weather, but not a good idea if you drive you car hard or on track... so suited to road driving with the odd "spirited" blast.
5W40 is a little thicker and hence deals with higher temperatures better... so if you do more hard driving, have some medium mods, or a remap, and/or during summer time, this is a good grade.
10W50 or 10W60 is really only for track driving, and/or serious mods like wide clearance forged pistons... so forget about that on a standard car which is mostly used for road use.

Last is the engine oil specifications... and how they relate to conditioners and detergents in the oil. Ensure that you get at least ACEA A3 and look for API SL or better (SN is currrent spec) else you'll see both performance breakdown before the service interval as well as crud formation etc. Of course this can be somewhat off set by servicing more frequently if for example you use SL.

Check out www.opieoils.co.uk - they give good advice on their site and are very responsive by email and often have great discount deals on (20% at the momement, but can be good bit higher from time to time).

Running 10w40 Castrol semi synthetic for as long as I have my car Liam , never an issue and even when I had her built I asked what was best for the type of driving my car gets and again 10w40 semi was advised

Always have used Mobil 10w40 semi in mine, oil dropped every 5000km for daily use..

When doing a trackday I went with a 10w50.

Oil,oil,oil , Jesus everyone everywhere says something different,

The wrx I always used 5/30, but if you look up Mobil site now they say 0/30,

Looked over a lot of scooby sites and am I right in saying 10/40 is what Subaru recommends,

But al sites selling oil for Subaru sell a 5/40 , a lot in the U.K. Seem to use 5/40,

So the million dollar question 5/40 or 10/40 standard car (05 sti ppp) road use changed every year prob less than 5k a year,

Will be Mobil oil,

Thanks and sorry for the oil question again (no point opening new tread on it)

My 04 sti has a few service receipts from main dealership with 10/40 on invoice that's what she's had I'd say for most of its life but once it doesn't exceed it cycle life. I change mine around 4000 miles good brand and regular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adrian, everyone has a different opinion on this, Subaru recommends semi synthetic 10w40 but I always used fully synethic 10w 40 in most of the subarus I owned,

If mapped or trackdays 15w 50 . I used motul 300v 15w 50 in my old blobeye sti but it was mapped.

To conclude a good quality oil in either 5w 40 or 10w 40 fully synethic should be fine ????

When l was talking to tim from opieoils he recommended 5w40 for a stock or lightly modified car. I picked fully synthetic miller nanodrive cfs. Its a bit on the expensive side but l recon its not a good idea to cut corners on engine oil :54:

I'm running my own little test and checking viscosity of each oil after 3000klms .
Ran magnatec 10w40 first 3k now running motul 6100 10w40
On classic sti no mods , no abuse & heated up and cooled down every time
Results to follow .., but could take a while :/

Back