Turbo options for a forester XT (2005)

Neelie

well yeah, vf30, 35, 28... 98&*%569%%£*)&!! :dontknow:
ppl say the vf35's crack, the vf28 have no top end power, which ones bolt on?
and which one would you go for if you were upgrading your 2005 wrx on a limited budget?

:sucks:

All the ones you listed there bolt on afaik, same setup as the impreza. The question really is what sort of power/torque figure are you chasing?

The VF28 is a good turbo, I'd expect maybe 320-330bhp out of a good one depending on supporting mods.

The best is probably to upgrade to the equivalent sti turbo with a map is going to see over 300 with the right supporting mods.

its a 2.0, and hoping for around the 300bhp mark, nothing huge, but pokey and reliable.
currently mapped to 222bhp with 250ftlbs torque by joe power.

im thinking vf28, from what i read. its all i have money for if i want to go ahead with other bits later in time.

Forget the standard sti fuel pump, either a walbro or deutchwerks pump would be a better pump for the price.....
Sti top mount would be a good move!
440 or 550 injestors can be picked up at reasonable money!
The v35 does crack inside the housing, but no worse than any of the vf range and the crack doesn't usually effect performance

Check out miltec and heyward and Scott echausts
They will have something nice to suit your car

^^^ ok cool thanks hammie!
yeah i do like the walbro, bar them being a little noisey in my experience.
im leaning towards the vf28 at the minute, it seems to have more driveable power from what i read.
H&S exhaust are too dear for me im afraid. gonna get some sti bits i guess. not a fan of miltec at all.

would i need to replace my hood scoop to fit the top mount or have they the same size? (apart from depth of course)

just from how they spool (what i've read). but yeah throw me a line ha, no idea what to go for! dont have a huge budget to work with, as i have lots of bits planned but said id start collecting stuff to build it sometime next year.

what would you recommend?

on the list so far;
sti topmount and y-pipe
walbro fuel pump
induction kit
exedy clutch
larger hood scoop & undertray
turbo timer & boost guage
turbo
full exhaust (maybe incl headers)
and remap/dyno of course

what turbo would go with that and what figures would you recon?

Its an old turbo now and your putting it on an 2005 car I think thats what Dave is getting at. Better turbos to be had. Ive a turbo from an sti hatchback on my 98 car , no point going backwards

Ah no I get it but sure a good turbo is a good turbo no matter the year.
Plus I don't have a huge budget hence why I'm prepared to get something older.
What would you use baz?

afaik the td04 is a more suitable turbo for your car. think with a remap - decat -440injectors - upgraded fuel pump - tdo4 and your mild cam they hit about 280bhp according to some forester only forums. vf28 are ment to be very laggy with the forester and more suitable for bigger hp builds and with imp cams.. i think theres something either on this forum or others im on about the different turbos.. the newer the turbo the newer the technology so generally the better the turbo, but not necessarily right for your car if designed for different cc etc..

like robbie said they all should bolt on, but watch out for mitsubishi turbo's (td04) as they wont work with subarus..

then theres the old debate about which is better vf or td, ive heard the vf are not as reliable so best do a rebuild if 2nd hand

to be honest im doing a upgrade pack for my own forester.. im going td04,decat,fuel pump,injectors and remap.. hoping for 280 - 300 on the dyno with front mount for a little bigger boost i was going td05 untill i looked into it more.. :subaru:

best of look with the upgrades

[quote author=danoc959 link=topic=36410.msg418231#msg418231 date=1356988151]
afaik the td04 is a more suitable turbo for your car. think with a remap - decat -440injectors - upgraded fuel pump - tdo4 and your mild cam they hit about 280bhp according to some forester only forums. vf28 are ment to be very laggy with the forester and more suitable for bigger hp builds and with imp cams.. i think theres something either on this forum or others im on about the different turbos.. the newer the turbo the newer the technology so generally the better the turbo, but not necessarily right for your car if designed for different cc etc..

like robbie said they all should bolt on, but watch out for mitsubishi turbo's (td04) as they wont work with subarus..

then theres the old debate about which is better vf or td, ive heard the vf are not as reliable so best do a rebuild if 2nd hand

to be honest im doing a upgrade pack for my own forester.. im going td04,decat,fuel pump,injectors and remap.. hoping for 280 - 300 on the dyno with front mount for a little bigger boost i was going td05 untill i looked into it more.. :subaru:

best of look with the upgrades
[/quote]

would totally disagree with all the above.

thanks guys.

it has a td04 in it and its a dreadful lazy turbo.... car has a joe power remap and the most he could get was 222bhp.

seems low for a td04 i think would have guesed would be good up to 280 or so but im no expert .

That's very very low for a tdo4 on a forester sure my starlet would make that with a tdo4 stuck onto it, I wreckon about 260-280 should be what you would be getting with that

[quote author=Neelie link=topic=36410.msg418272#msg418272 date=1357053826]
thanks guys.

it has a td04 in it and its a dreadful lazy turbo.... car has a joe power remap and the most he could get was 222bhp.
[/quote]

Think you had no mods when it was mapped? Am I right?

#danoc

i,ll put in a longer reply when not on the phone.

other guys looking 280-300 out of a td04 are simply living in internet land

222 is a tad low. obviously we dont know cats present situation nor fuel type choice

but comments of you should have got 280bhp are totally misleading.

and sorry to say are becoming a very common isdc of misled advice to new members
from what appears to these new members from more established members were it is taken as gospel

Dave

Back