Turbo options for a forester XT (2005)

would agree with davelegacy on the 280-300 from a td04 not a hope mine is running a td04 with a full decat exhaust ,fuel pump,and induction kit mapped on the road for 95 octane by andy forrest he told me when doin my car same mods on previous cars he did made around 260-275bhp at the flywheel on 99octane.mine made 262bhp atfw on coutures dyno .as for a td04 being lazy that is totally false unless something wrong with the turbo my car starts making boost at about 2200rpm and by 2700rpm its at full boost i dont think that would be classed as lazy and mine has 176,000 miles on .most common issue on eu spec cars is uppipe cat dislodged and partially blocking flow to turbo therefore it cant boost properly dont know if the forrester has the same system dave might confirm that ,also i think a 05 forrestor should be similar to a new age wrx maybe a little lower bhp also dave might confirm :thumbsup:

As the op stated he wants to add stage 1 mods and a remap with this turbo so the area260-280fwhp is not too unrealistic ?

i wouldnt agree as forester has a milder cam fitted for refinement and economy where as wrx is more agressive profile so i would say his forester with same mods as my car would make 240-250 at most

^^^ I'm a she, actually, Chris lol.

Couple of facts, Joe fitted a boostcontroller. It was then mapped to 0.8 IIRC and 222.1bhp.
Full boost at about 3200rpm. Car also has a catback exhaust fitted, but after mapping.
Stock these cars make 177bhp.

No other mods as of yet (roll on 2013)...

why did he set it so low mine car peaks at 1.3 and holds 1.1 bar ?
i think your first mod needs to be a decat uppipe and decat down pipe then id say no hassle gettin 240-250 anything above that you will need a different turbo and if funds are tight nothing wrong with a vf 28 and im about to fit one to mine with 550cc injectors and im hopin to get 280-290bhp

[quote author=Neelie link=topic=36410.msg418319#msg418319 date=1357078684]
^^^ I'm a she, actually, Chris lol.

Couple of facts, Joe fitted a boostcontroller. It was then mapped to 0.8 IIRC and 222.1bhp.
Full boost at about 3200rpm. Car also has a catback exhaust fitted, but after mapping.
Stock these cars make 177bhp.

No other mods as of yet (roll on 2013)...
[/quote]

absolutely no need for a boost controller. ecu can controll perfectly fine.

also your model of forester runs avcs. so struggling to understand why a boost controller was fitted and why boost limited to 0.8bar unless was struggling with avcs mapping aspects which i cant see why.

maybe other reasons

[quote author=chris139ryan link=topic=36410.msg418316#msg418316 date=1357077734]
As the op stated he wants to add stage 1 mods and a remap with this turbo so the area260-280fwhp is not too unrealistic ?
[/quote]

chris its fully unrealistic on 95fuel for 280bhp on td04

wow this thread is going off topic haha.

@dave; i thought only the forged engines had the avcs?
no there was a good reason for the boost controller dave, i cant recall exactly what though!

the vf28 are easy to get and are cheap but yeah, old turbo...
should i just go for a vf30 or vf35?

Prob best to find someone running same mods to give more accurate account of figures?? Plenty out there off forester forum.?? Plenty of tryed and tested. Can't argue with a print printout :dontknow:

[quote author=Neelie link=topic=36410.msg418336#msg418336 date=1357119131]
wow this thread is going off topic haha.

@dave; i thought only the forged engines had the avcs?
no there was a good reason for the boost controller dave, i cant recall exactly what though!

the vf28 are easy to get and are cheap but yeah, old turbo...
should i just go for a vf30 or vf35?
[/quote]
35 would be nice great spool on it.

Thread revival instead of starting new thread.

I haven't picked up my forester yet,but looking at possibly upgrading the turbo at some stage to give it a bit more go/torque.

Found alot of people use td04 with decent results and upgraded down pipe and upgraded up pipe gives even better results. Most of these are from 10/12 years ago.

Is there any better options than the td04?some people in this thread are suggesting newage sti turbo with supporting mods?

My forester xt is 2005, 2.0 177bhp and auto. I know its not going to be a race car,just looking for a bit more go

Alright Yea td04 good upgrade and small turbo so good low down response will run out of puff in higher revs but good for the traffic light gp 🙂

Vf35 more lag but much more punch especially if all the supporting mods in place

My only experience is the upgrades to my old wrx so no other advice regarding diff turbos

Now don't take this the wrong way id recommend getting the fozzy and driving it before making decisions on turbo im sure you have a decent idea from the wagon legacy (Not the red one 😛).

I think the way to improve it and the driving experance would be a 5 speed swap without spending lots of cashola after if your enjoying it more aggressive cams from a wrx and a tdo4 👍

Be worth looking at my old Sf5 S/tb at next club meeting with Pedro give you a idea on how above setup feels.

My 2 cents on this as I toyed with upgrading mine as well and did a hell of a lot of reading up on this. (I probably won't do mine at this stage as my mileage is very high and figure if it ain't broke... If my turbo shows signs of going I'll look at changing but for now to be honest I'm actually pretty happy with how it is. My requirements are modest and it's a nice all-round balance between having a bit of poke and economy as it's a family car and daily driver, and I mean daily - it's rarely not on the road.)

Anyway, what I'd say - don't fully write off the tf035 that's in it. It's the baby of the bunch but it also spools the earliest of them all (around 1800rpm) so yeah while it won't keep up to higher speeds it's well able to haul itself off the line. TD04 supposedly won't get much of an increase - probably looking at around 240-250hp max realistically but it's slightly slower to spool up (starts around 2000rpm). Supposedly you can squeeze 220/230hp out of the tf035 but I presume that'll be seriously pushing it and I'd guess you'd need at least a decat with that.

I left mine completely standard apart from pro-drive backbox (presume that's only affecting the sound) and Aonghus Power got 202bhp out of mine (I can't remember the torque figues but they were decent - typically his printer was dead that day and he was meant to email me on the figures but never did). At the time he said had he mapped with NF added he'd have gotten more out of it. He also commented on the size of the intercooler, they're tiny. Bigger one would help squeeze another bit out of it as detonation risk is lower with the cooler air - wrx intercooler is about 25% bigger, STI one obviously better again but impossible to find. (I have a newage wrx one (cheers Clodex) to go in at some stage for mine)

Anyway point being I was back and forth on the idea of swopping out for TD04 as well and came to the conclusion that it wouldn't make enough of a difference to make it worthwhile. VF34 is supposedly the best all-rounder for the forester but they aint cheap. VF28 is another cheaper option that people have gone with but they are a late spooler at 3500rpm but will keep puffing right to redline. Of course the next problem you're gonna have with those is you're limited by your fuel pump and injectors - so there's more money. And of course now that you have the fast-ey bits better you'll need to look at your slow-ey bits cause the brakes on the fozzy..eh could be a bit better.

Good thread here on the tf035 :

And just in case yer tempted :
VF34 : https://www.4turbo.pl/turbocharger-ihi-vf34-impreza-sti,3,49763,23082
VF28 : http://jdmperformanceparts.co.uk/subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-vf28-turbo-charger-very-low-milage.html

Alright Yea td04 good upgrade and small turbo so good low down response will run out of puff in higher revs but good for the traffic light gp 🙂

Vf35 more lag but much more punch especially if all the supporting mods in place

My only experience is the upgrades to my old wrx so no other advice regarding diff turbos

Now don't take this the wrong way id recommend getting the fozzy and driving it before making decisions on turbo im sure you have a decent idea from the wagon legacy (Not the red one 😛).

I think the way to improve it and the driving experance would be a 5 speed swap without spending lots of cashola after if your enjoying it more aggressive cams from a wrx and a tdo4 👍

Be worth looking at my old Sf5 S/tb at next club meeting with Pedro give you a idea on how above setup feels.
Thanks ciaran, appreciate the advice.
I won't be manual swapping this one.
I have read your forester blog several times, came close to ringing Joe about buying it a few times 😂

My 2 cents on this as I toyed with upgrading mine as well and did a hell of a lot of reading up on this. (I probably won't do mine at this stage as my mileage is very high and figure if it ain't broke... If my turbo shows signs of going I'll look at changing but for now to be honest I'm actually pretty happy with how it is. My requirements are modest and it's a nice all-round balance between having a bit of poke and economy as it's a family car and daily driver, and I mean daily - it's rarely not on the road.)

Anyway, what I'd say - don't fully write off the tf035 that's in it. It's the baby of the bunch but it also spools the earliest of them all (around 1800rpm) so yeah while it won't keep up to higher speeds it's well able to haul itself off the line. TD04 supposedly won't get much of an increase - probably looking at around 240-250hp max realistically but it's slightly slower to spool up (starts around 2000rpm). Supposedly you can squeeze 220/230hp out of the tf035 but I presume that'll be seriously pushing it and I'd guess you'd need at least a decat with that.

I left mine completely standard apart from pro-drive backbox (presume that's only affecting the sound) and Aonghus Power got 202bhp out of mine (I can't remember the torque figues but they were decent - typically his printer was dead that day and he was meant to email me on the figures but never did). At the time he said had he mapped with NF added he'd have gotten more out of it. He also commented on the size of the intercooler, they're tiny. Bigger one would help squeeze another bit out of it as detonation risk is lower with the cooler air - wrx intercooler is about 25% bigger, STI one obviously better again but impossible to find. (I have a newage wrx one (cheers Clodex) to go in at some stage for mine)

Anyway point being I was back and forth on the idea of swopping out for TD04 as well and came to the conclusion that it wouldn't make enough of a difference to make it worthwhile. VF34 is supposedly the best all-rounder for the forester but they aint cheap. VF28 is another cheaper option that people have gone with but they are a late spooler at 3500rpm but will keep puffing right to redline. Of course the next problem you're gonna have with those is you're limited by your fuel pump and injectors - so there's more money. And of course now that you have the fast-ey bits better you'll need to look at your slow-ey bits cause the brakes on the fozzy..eh could be a bit better.

Good thread here on the tf035 :

And just in case yer tempted :
VF34 : https://www.4turbo.pl/turbocharger-ihi-vf34-impreza-sti,3,49763,23082
VF28 : http://jdmperformanceparts.co.uk/subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-vf28-turbo-charger-very-low-milage.html
Thanks, plenty of good information there.appreciate it 👍

Cool idea. The Foz is great craic. I have a WRX tmic here if it's of any use at some point to you :)

Back