98 Legacy rs engine

danoc959

Sunday Drivers
looking for a engine. no turbo's/manifold's or top mount etc. just the block and heads must be tip top mint condition.. will do good cash deal if i can here running. if not wont be payin top dosh but will listen to whatever is on the table.

Thanks lads,
Dan :subaru:

bad piston slap.. cant stand the tapping anymore.. :hammerhead: was offered a good ej25 cosworth forged block and heads but talking to dave at sti tuning the price be mental to fit it so just going to put a good ej20r back in to it. mean while ill redo the old engine with full rebuild. cost alot so ill do that over time, ya know bits and bobs a go..

yet to come across anything as of yet :comp26:

ej20r's are a little harder to find.. looking at the spec and part numbers the bottom end is nearly same as v3 sti forged bottom end :ponder: wonder if i could start there.

can use a lot of combos of short engines and your heads.

but if going that road rebuild your own.

[quote author=danoc959 link=topic=33238.msg384323#msg384323 date=1330981699]
this is it dave..

but if i was going to rebuild it i dont think i would go standard :icon_biggrin:

[/quote]

With the power limitations from the oem turbos a refresh build of a standard engine will be perfectly fine. no need for any extra expense.

A refresh of existing engine would use components already in engine as in crank rods and pistons if deemed to be usable and measure up ok.

If pistons have wear like most 97/98 ones that caused piston slap then we would have other sets of usuable pistons.

A refresh is inspection all parts, new bearings, all gaskets and seals, heads and block skimmed, fresh cross hatch honing, new oil pump, new water pump and thermostat and new timing belt
If bearing failure new oil modine also. .

Timing tensioner, idler pulleys and clutch components are renewed if needed.

thinks its ended up to be rod knock dave and not piston slap :wall:

what the best thing i can do without geting into lots of doh ray me.

2nd hand short block?

my block pistons and crank?

or rebuild the lot :icon_cry:

i use the car as a everyday driver so its something needing sorting. :icon_hang:

prob would be easy just to buy another car but id rather fix what i got instead of prob ending up with two broke cars :subaru:

dave what can you offer , if i was going to rebuild id put acl bearings i just for peace of mind but keep everything standard or reuse what i can for cost purposes :icon_lol:

u can pm if you want :smokin:

Back