Legacy goes boom boom

See Dan your getting drawn into this build a stroker thing..
What you want one for? You said you dont want anymore than 400, and thats all the Legacy will probably support without spending Thousands.
Plenty of Newage STis in UK running up to 450 on standard STI engine, id say 70% of Newage cars over there now are all on 400 as its just a matter of adding a turbo to them and map.
RCM does New Scooby motors, think they are 1850 EX VAT Sterling, Rcm are that bit more expensive with everything so you could walk into Carol and roche etc etc or any Subaru Dealer and give an 02 Bug or Blob Chassis number and get a price on new short motor..

This stuff isnt rocket science, if you arent going to be going for big hp, then why go and spend extra.

If you were to go for a build motor, i have to capitilise this... FOR FOOK SAKE dont be going and handing over money to un known Ebay sellers, you need to pay a premium and get someone good to do it..

You are talking what 1500gbp odd for the components alone... you need a block... you can buy a block like you have and pay someone to build it for you... how much will that cost? You can buy a CDB, again you buy the CDB and get it converted, its probably going to stand you up around 800 euro... then buy your Lateral kit for 1500 gbp which is roughly 1800 euro. Then get someone to build it all for you, so to me that looks like 2500 euro sitting in boxes ready to be built..
Why spend that when you dont need it or wont use it?????

Heres another thing i would seriously be looking into.... It will need a bit of research, but whats the chances of a FULL Sti long engine Working in your car??????, if it would plug in and run you would be elected, essentially change your setup to an STI iMPREZA, Block, heads, inlet, Everything.. Lift complete thing out of an STI and drop into yours Provided your loom will plug into the STI engine and run it, it can be done. Newage engines are a different thing to Classics, and it would be less of a chance with them 2nd hand.
If that would work, you could be looking at a 2K back on the road with an STI Legacy bill

cheers Ken, i dont know know enough about replacing engine to be able to decide on the best route to go, but yes its a given there is other limiting factors in mine that will prevent going any higher than 400hp i would guess. The gearbox would be that, and to go swapping that out etc is another 5 grand easily so, not into that.

i have put similar threads up on a few forums just trying to see what people recommend.

Where would you think i could get a decent full STI engine, it would be great if it worked but trying to find out info on someone that has done this on a setup the same as mine would be easier to find tonights lotto numbers! Then you have the whole concern of the condition of the donor engine. I'll look into it and see what i can find.

But from the sounds of it maybe a new sti short block be the best and most cost effective option. i cant see me changing away from the vf36 turbo anytime soon now, so at most i would get a larger compressor wheel into that.

if the heads are fooked aswell i pretty much might set fire to the ba*tard and buy a diesel!

Sorry to hear what happened Dan. Hope you get it sorted soon. I'd agree with ken on not goingthe stroker route and seeing can you fit a newage STI motor. Reliable and the cheaper option if it will mate up with your car.

if someone wants to pm me a a chassis number i can use to check prices with C+R for a new sti short block that would be great!

This may go COMPLETELY against the grain but if I was you, I would consider abandoning the rebuild and the car altogether and go for an 03-05 Blob sti.

The way I look at it, you are looking toward a minimum spend of €4-5k parts and labour the way you are talking. And thats before you look towards changing to an sti setup with heads etc..

Then you could strip your car which would be worth €3-4 with the parts you have on it. Throw that together and you're in blob sti money.

Of course, that depends how much you love the legacy and if you'd consider letting it go. But might be something to think about, especially if you are thinking of doing more trackdays, you've got a 400bhp capable engine, 6 speed and everything ready to go.

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=32955.msg377701#msg377701 date=1327185814]
This may go COMPLETELY against the grain but if I was you, I would consider abandoning the rebuild and the car altogether and go for an 03-05 Blob sti.

The way I look at it, you are looking toward a minimum spend of €4-5k parts and labour the way you are talking. And thats before you look towards changing to an sti setup with heads etc..

Then you could strip your car which would be worth €3-4 with the parts you have on it. Throw that together and you're in blob sti money.

Of course, that depends how much you love the legacy and if you'd consider letting it go. But might be something to think about, especially if you are thinking of doing more trackdays, you've got a 400bhp capable engine, 6 speed and everything ready to go.
[/quote]

got to agree with Robbie on this , start off with a car with a proven base for tuning as oppoded to the leggy which might be a money pit to hit 400

i was thinking of that Robbie but if i was to abandon the rebuild and buy something else i wouldnt go for an Impreza, they dont really appeal to me. only subaru i would consider buying would be a tuned by sti legacy/s402 but thats not going to happen, as funds dont allow, sure i could get a car loan and buy a s4 or rs4 which i always liked but not sure i want that overhead either!

Sorry to hear aput the car man
Have a chat to Ciaran about an rs4 his mate is selling 500 ponies
I'd love one

In that case Dan, I wouldn't go any further than 350-400 as there's no point in it, and unless you have an end less pit of money, you'll get stuck somewhere. Buy a newage 2.0 (or 2.5 if you want) short block straight from Subaru and be done with it, 400bhp capable and its all you need :thumbsup:

I wont be changing from a vf36 unless thats dead aswell so that wont see you too 400 anyway. you have me making up a spreadsheet now with everything i could sell off the car and money i have for fixing it and adding it up and looking for whats available on carzone! not much of interest around the 10 grand mark unfortunately, starts getting interesting at 15 grand or so

sorry to hear about your motor dan,in my opinion if you are goin to double your horse power in any car you are goin to be firing money at it for a long time it was never designed to do what you want it to do most manufacturers building performance cars build to take 100 -150 bhp more than they sell them at to allow for a hard life and to be still relatively reliable thats the bottom line on it so if you want a 400plus car you need something thats starting off a lot closer it than your car was standard,its just not worth it man .my personal belief is 350bhp is more than enough for any road car .if you are able to drive a 350bhp car in manner that that you feel there is not enough power in it you would want to be some pilot ,im not sayin anything about your skill level just in general .i have to agree with robbie sti bottom and build a reliable 350 and leave it at that how many lads have you read about that have built 400+ cars and not had to touch the engine for say 60,000 miles i would say very few ,

rebuild your car to be reliable and enjoy it its a beautiful car :thumbsup:

[quote author=WAGON DEC link=topic=32955.msg377727#msg377727 date=1327189598]
sorry to hear about your motor dan,in my opinion if you are goin to double your horse power in any car you are goin to be firing money at it for a long time it was never designed to do what you want it to do most manufacturers building performance cars build to take 100 -150 bhp more than they sell them at to allow for a hard life and to be still relatively reliable thats the bottom line on it so if you want a 400plus car you need something thats starting off a lot closer it than your car was standard,its just not worth it man .my personal belief is 350bhp is more than enough for any road car .if you are able to drive a 350bhp car in manner that that you feel there is not enough power in it you would want to be some pilot ,im not sayin anything about your skill level just in general .i have to agree with robbie sti bottom and build a reliable 350 and leave it at that how many lads have you read about that have built 400+ cars and not had to touch the engine for say 60,000 miles i would say very few ,

[/quote]

jaysus Dec i wish it was double the power! car in standard form is 276bhp and only making around 330 now so not oodles of extra power going through it. Im not looking for a 400bhp plus car, i will be happy with 350-370 but nice not too be on the limit of the engine which i must have been on standard block.

I wonder if a standard ej207 or ej257 would be the better choice and which would be stronger in the long run. would it be possible to use 2.0 heads on a 2.5 bottom end? i wonder if the twinscroll setup be suited to that or would i be better of with 2.0 bottom end

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=32955.msg377735#msg377735 date=1327195904]
[quote author=WAGON DEC link=topic=32955.msg377727#msg377727 date=1327189598]

[/quote]

jaysus Dec i wish it was double the power! car in standard form is 276bhp and only making around 330 now so not oodles of extra power going through it. Im not looking for a 400bhp plus car, i will be happy with 350-370 but nice not too be on the limit of the engine which i must have been on standard block.

I wonder if a standard ej207 or ej257 would be the better choice and which would be stronger in the long run. would it be possible to use 2.0 heads on a 2.5 bottom end? i wonder if the twinscroll setup be suited to that or would i be better of with 2.0 bottom end
[/quote]

u can use your existin heads on a ej25 dan there is a few from the club running them thats the way mine was ran and 100% 2.5 heads be hard to find and cost a pretty penny

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=32955.msg377701#msg377701 date=1327185814]

[/quote]

This makes the most sense IMO..I think you would do well breaking that car, there aren't many about

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=32955.msg377703#msg377703 date=1327186766]
i was thinking of that Robbie but if i was to abandon the rebuild and buy something else i wouldnt go for an Impreza, they dont really appeal to me. only subaru i would consider buying would be a tuned by sti legacy/s402 but thats not going to happen, as funds dont allow, sure i could get a car loan and buy a s4 or rs4 which i always liked but not sure i want that overhead either!
[/quote]

RS4 is a money pit

Back