Legacy goes boom boom

[quote author=KENC link=topic=32955.msg377553#msg377553 date=1327095661]
Id bet that your conrod popped out to say hello just around the knock sensor. :icon_cry:

Did you over rev it on track, easy to do on a down shift, and id suspect the legacy internals are bare basic similiar to UK wrx.. Its easy to over rev on a down shift and god knowswhat rpm you could bounce off, rods get weak from this or more likely you stretched a rod bolt or 2 and its just a matter of time then untill you have total failure..

No individual or tuner can advise you what to do Dan untill you decie what you want to do with the car in the long run, if you are happy at the power you were or say 400 max then the answer is easy in my mind. We can all advise ypu to spend big money on forged this or that, but fact is i dont think any of use know what the legacy is made of in terms of heads, valvetrain, cams, gerabox etc etc.. So for example you can go out and spend a fortune on a 600hp capable block and all your heads and cams can do is 400bhp, or all your box can take is 400.... and you aint going to change these things and therefore the 600bhp block is like a frigid hooker, waste of money..
No direspect to the Legacy, its a lovely car, but i have a feeling that 400hp is the comfort zone of it, it has plastic inlet manifold and i suspect tame internals, the car was not designed for same use as an Impreza after all, so id hate to see you being advised to spend needless money, when you cant make benefit of it without spending an extra 5k changing everything else to make it work.
[/quote]

sounds like a good guess Ken as now that i think of it, most of the oil seemed to be concentrated under the intake manifold/TMIC there must be a hole in the block if all the oil came out, how else would it have gotten out of the engine! I dont want to be spending money on an engine thats built to take 600hp as im never going that route. the gearbox etc wouldnt take anywhere near that and probably same limitations of around 400bhp. at this stage a hybrid vf36 would be the most i would be willing to do at this point. There is so many unknowns with this model of legacy its best not to push the boundries too much!

It was pushed hard on track, never hit of the limiter but got close on a few occasions.

sorry to here dan and you were very lucky the fire didnt destroy the hole car.

as for what engine to go for, listen to your work mates :thumbsup:

Sorry for your troubles dan, and welcome to my world I've just finished a full rebuild with a 2.1 stroker from laterally in the uk it's a great kit and great value for money my new engine is standing me around €3500 but that's with new turbo and other bits and pieces, so I'd say around €3000 would see you rite, but sure look on the brite side it's only an engine you could very easily have stood on the hard shoulder of the M50 watching your car go up in smoke so it's not all bad, so on to bigger and better things from here :thumbsup:

WISE WORDS AS ALWAYS KEN :subaru:
[quote author=KENC link=topic=32955.msg377553#msg377553 date=1327095661]
Id bet that your conrod popped out to say hello just around the knock sensor. :icon_cry:

Did you over rev it on track, easy to do on a down shift, and id suspect the legacy internals are bare basic similiar to UK wrx.. Its easy to over rev on a down shift and god knowswhat rpm you could bounce off, rods get weak from this or more likely you stretched a rod bolt or 2 and its just a matter of time then untill you have total failure..

No individual or tuner can advise you what to do Dan untill you decie what you want to do with the car in the long run, if you are happy at the power you were or say 400 max then the answer is easy in my mind. We can all advise ypu to spend big money on forged this or that, but fact is i dont think any of use know what the legacy is made of in terms of heads, valvetrain, cams, gerabox etc etc.. So for example you can go out and spend a fortune on a 600hp capable block and all your heads and cams can do is 400bhp, or all your box can take is 400.... and you aint going to change these things and therefore the 600bhp block is like a frigid hooker, waste of money..
No direspect to the Legacy, its a lovely car, but i have a feeling that 400hp is the comfort zone of it, it has plastic inlet manifold and i suspect tame internals, the car was not designed for same use as an Impreza after all, so id hate to see you being advised to spend needless money, when you cant make benefit of it without spending an extra 5k changing everything else to make it work.
[/quote]

dan you couldnt go wrong with any of roger clark parts quality all the way and again as i said if you use a vat number its cheaper win win

dan , SO sorry to hear , its the biggest fear of most on here . but on other side ,lucky to get fire out . like most ,the 2.1 stroker seems to be the way most would go down .and i would not try to push the car to far (powerwise) .

Hi Dan just an idea why dont you try Litchfield in UK see if they have what you want cheers.PS As in a whole new Legacy with all the work done on it.

Sorry to hear about ur legacy! I am completely freaked about mine now!!! It's a horrible thing to happen and i hope u get it sorted soon ! My opinion would b e to buy another leggy..u will never see the money bak that u will be puttin into the engine..

so im thinking if i can get the smae block thats in there used and stick in a 2.1 stroker kit and re-use my heads or heads from donor engine would that be the best option or would the block still be the weak point. considering it would have the stroker kit in it, it should be a huge improvement over standard setup. easiet option would be just to replace entire engine with donor engine but no idea how relaible that would be. What else should be replace when rebuilding engine, im guessing oil pump and water pump and probably timing belt etc? fu*k me this doesnt sound like it will be cheap!

[quote author=gar_bandit link=topic=32955.msg377587#msg377587 date=1327104010]
Sorry for your troubles dan, and welcome to my world I've just finished a full rebuild with a 2.1 stroker from laterally in the uk it's a great kit and great value for money my new engine is standing me around €3500 but that's with new turbo and other bits and pieces, so I'd say around €3000 would see you rite, but sure look on the brite side it's only an engine you could very easily have stood on the hard shoulder of the M50 watching your car go up in smoke so it's not all bad, so on to bigger and better things from here :thumbsup:
[/quote]

is that stroker kit in a new block with your existing heads?

CDB+stroker kit+v5 heads keep an eye out for a blown v5 sti engine complete and use the heads with that should be good for 500/550

[quote author=Animal spec-c link=topic=32955.msg377637#msg377637 date=1327159553]
CDB+stroker kit+v5 heads keep an eye out for a blown v5 sti engine complete and use the heads with that should be good for 500/550
[/quote]

how much all in is that likely to cost?

rcm stroker kit 1550gbp say you pay 450gbp for CDB and what ever the v5heads set u bk may another 250/300gbp so you are touching 2300gbp give or take then you need your head gaskets,T/B,fluids filters,,machining,cost to build and assemble engine,shipping and other odds and sods ive probably left out id say you would need to set aside 6-7k to do all of the above and have fitted and mapped

never heard of them guys thats not to say they arnt reliable builders but i would stick to known companies that are proven like rcm,zen,lateral,advanced automotive,ect

If its a conrod after breaking its after mincing your block Dan, so you have to start from scratch block wise.
Your heads could be ok, my heads and valves were ok after my Conrod broke, if no evidence is there of damage you still need to spent a bit extra and get all the valves checked incase any are bent etc etc.. So fingers crosse your heads are ok..

Im not sure about the legacy but if it has Avcs then v5 v6 heads are out of question unless you want to spend Thousands on wiring and ecu..

I myself, well personally i dont see why 2.1 is been advised to you. I would recomend a New Subaru Short motor for a 02-04 JDM 2ltr STI... you could of course go for a new 2.5 sti motor, but i wouldnt, there shite tbh. New motor will cost you around 2k
You will need everything new Dan, and that will add up aswell, Rough prices here off my head, OIL pump 200, oil modine 200, water pump optional.. Head gaskets 200, Headwork if ok allow 300-500. all new seals, gaskets again allow 200, new plugs, Filter and oil, coolant, ps fluid, 200-300 new timing belt and gear, 200-300.
There will be debris everywhere, so turbo will need to be checked to make sure no small stuff made its way up into it, sump will need to be Cleaned like you never cleaned before or as i did a new sump got.
The prices i am giving off my head id say are not too far off the mark and will give you a good idea..

You wont see 1500 to 2k going on these bits... Then you need a motor.. for argument sake we say 2k for that, and then you have the cost of getting yours out, new one all aseembled and dropped in.
Id say 5k you will need to budget at minimum, if going this route...............................................................
You sure your still glad it didnt go a fire and claim the insurance? :wall:

drove bye it earlier
made me sad too
looks completely different on the winter wheels
cant wait to see it back in action :subaru:

[quote author=KENC link=topic=32955.msg377656#msg377656 date=1327168574]
If its a conrod after breaking its after mincing your block Dan, so you have to start from scratch block wise.
Your heads could be ok, my heads and valves were ok after my Conrod broke, if no evidence is there of damage you still need to spent a bit extra and get all the valves checked incase any are bent etc etc.. So fingers crosse your heads are ok..

Im not sure about the legacy but if it has Avcs then v5 v6 heads are out of question unless you want to spend Thousands on wiring and ecu..

I myself, well personally i dont see why 2.1 is been advised to you. I would recomend a New Subaru Short motor for a 02-04 JDM 2ltr STI... you could of course go for a new 2.5 sti motor, but i wouldnt, there shite tbh. New motor will cost you around 2k
You will need everything new Dan, and that will add up aswell, Rough prices here off my head, OIL pump 200, oil modine 200, water pump optional.. Head gaskets 200, Headwork if ok allow 300-500. all new seals, gaskets again allow 200, new plugs, Filter and oil, coolant, ps fluid, 200-300 new timing belt and gear, 200-300.
There will be debris everywhere, so turbo will need to be checked to make sure no small stuff made its way up into it, sump will need to be Cleaned like you never cleaned before or as i did a new sump got.
The prices i am giving off my head id say are not too far off the mark and will give you a good idea..

You wont see 1500 to 2k going on these bits... Then you need a motor.. for argument sake we say 2k for that, and then you have the cost of getting yours out, new one all aseembled and dropped in.
Id say 5k you will need to budget at minimum, if going this route...............................................................
You sure your still glad it didnt go a fire and claim the insurance? :wall:
[/quote]

yes mine has AVCS. why not go with stroker kit Ken? Would a standard new sti block be stronger than a used block with stroker kit installed in it? where would i get the new sti block from? i haven't seen any going for 2k

Back