Looking for an STI brake upgrade for my B4

richie09

Hey,

I've a standard B4, everything else on it is perfect but I just can't stand the standard brakes!
I'm looking to get a full upgrade kit (new or used).

Does anyone have anything decent they are looking to sell? I'm really looking to have these by the 29th if at all possible.

Thanks!
Richie.

upgrade brakes are gonna be limited by the size/type of wheels you have fitted. what you got?

Hey, thanks for the reply!

I literally just bought her so apologies for not knowing the actual name of the wheels but they are just standard JDM 17's.... I didn't realise that would restrict things :-(

Am I left with any upgrade options? Pic of wheel below;

2011-12-14114204.jpg

yeah wheels are gonna cause you a problem.

Big brake kits like ap or ksport won't fit under them. Newage STi brembos won't fit under them either.

The only option you have with those wheels is four pot brakes off a classic sti or newage wrx. Would be fine for road use but won't be worth 3 laps of mondello if thats what you're planning.

[quote author=STi Brian link=topic=32563.msg373075#msg373075 date=1323863751]

Big brake kits like ap or ksport won't fit under them. Newage STi brembos won't fit under them either.

The only option you have with those wheels is four pot brakes off a classic sti or newage wrx. Would be fine for road use but won't be worth 3 laps of mondello if thats what you're planning.
[/quote]

I did about 10 flat out and they were fine..had racing pads they could of been better but for road use they are fine

[quote author=STi Brian link=topic=32563.msg373075#msg373075 date=1323863751]

[/quote]

I have 6 pot ap racing 330 disc and they will fit under those wheels.
Mate has them on his b4 and I borrowed them off him for Nct.
No probs.

those wheels are a bugger! i had them on my B4, maybe get yourself some new wheels and go for a brembo conversion? i have Prodrive P1 alloys now, can get anything under them :icon_grin:

dont waste your time on 4 pots, i think they are rubbish! i have a set, took the B4 to the Nurburgring and they just dont cut the mustard!

What type of braking are you after? A decent set of 4 pots with good fluid,pads and braided lines will be grand if your not doin trackdays and the likes. They will go straight under those wheels and will be far cheaper than brembo conversion + cost of new wheels.

[quote author=eliroche link=topic=32563.msg373102#msg373102 date=1323884223]
What type of braking are you after? A decent set of 4 pots with good fluid,pads and braided lines will be grand if your not doin trackdays and the likes. They will go straight under those wheels and will be far cheaper than brembo conversion + cost of new wheels.
[/quote]

Spot on Eli-the lines and pads will make more difference than the caliper upgrade

Sorry about the delayed response, have been out Christmas shopping all day.

Thanks for all the advice so far, I'm kind of let down as I'd hoped on a worthwhile upgrade before the 29th (mondello).

Main thing I need the upgrade for is trackdays... I can't get over how fast the B4 toasts it's standard brakes. I don't do allot of trackdays but I'll be doing around 10 a year I'd say.
Is it really not worth installing the classic STI set up?

If your hoping on doing 10+ trackdays a year then deffo go bigger than classic 4 pots. Still get good pads/discs/fluid on whatever caliper setup you decide on to make the most of them.
Your budget is the major deciding factor now!

[quote author=richie09 link=topic=32563.msg373123#msg373123 date=1323892469]
Sorry about the delayed response, have been out Christmas shopping all day.

Thanks for all the advice so far, I'm kind of let down as I'd hoped on a worthwhile upgrade before the 29th (mondello).

Main thing I need the upgrade for is trackdays... I can't get over how fast the B4 toasts it's standard brakes. I don't do allot of trackdays but I'll be doing around 10 a year I'd say.
Is it really not worth installing the classic STI set up?
[/quote]

For regular track days no i wouldn't bother...tbh I wouldn't bring a B4 on regular track days..couple of time maybe but the weight and strain on the engine, the wear on brakes and tryes...oil change after every session..you'd be better off with a 106gti or Clio 172 something like that...be quicker for one and a lot cheaper in the long run

Had brembo's on my old B4 with Godspeed 2 piece disks, braided hoses and carbon lorraine RC6 pads. Absolutely savage braking ability in that setup on a B4, and i was running a set of inovit redlines, 17x7 with 215/45 toyo t1r's.

Did about 5 trackdays on them as well and they peformed great. The B4 is not the ideal track car, but its very enjoyable to use on the track and then you can drive it home and still use it day to day.

Thanks for all the info and advice everyone!! Really appreciate it :azn:

Mow much for a set Ciaran?

thanks.

ciaran, is that 450 with disc included? would a set of refurbished 4 pots and grooved discs be any good to you PX? :pray: no worries if not

throw text my way mate so we can have a chat 0879512703

Back