Heating water by Immersion or Gas Boiler???

JAMIE-TYPERV6

Octane Boostaholics
Lads & ladies,

Anyone know which is more efficient/cost effective...? :dontknow:

Using your central heating to heat your water with the heating thermostat turned to 0 so the rads are off (takes approx 1.5 hours to heat tank) or just using the the immersion (takes about 20mins).

We've been heating our hot water using the gas boiler but it takes fecking ages... whereby the immersion gives you instant hot water in 20 mins.

Cheers,

J...

1.5 hour to heat the tank :shock2: :shock2:

Generally speaking its cheaper to use the boiler but 1.5 hour compaired to 20min is a long time so not too sure on that one mate :ponder:

with my boiler it only takes 20-30mins to heat our tank. and thats with all the rads off. 1.5hrs dont seems right!!

This is what has me querying this lads. :ponder2: We've always used the boiler... and the guy who serviced it last year said that it is by far the cheaper/quicker option.... yet it's on for an 1 hour in the morning and we're hardly getting enough water for 2 quick showers.... hence I've had it on for 1.5 hours of late with the thermstat off.

Immersion on the other hand.... seems to be giving us hot water instantly and a near full tank within 20 mins.

Can you adjust the temp on your boiler?

Possible chance it could be turned right down :thumbsup:

**EDIT**

What size is your cylinder?

[quote author=ScoobyMick link=topic=30510.msg352889#msg352889 date=1305541863]
Can you adjust the temp on your boiler?

Possible chance it could be turned right down :thumbsup:

**EDIT**

What size is your cylinder?
[/quote]

Not sure of cylinder size Mick... :dontknow: Boiler is an Ideal Classic... and has a thermostat knob on it which was on quite a low setting (2/3)... wacked it up to 6 to see if it makes a difference! :pray:

Fingers crossed! :thumbsup:

i could be wrong but the higher that is the more oil you'll use. mine is on 3 but my hightest is 5

Yeah Arron... I'm sure the increase in thermstat knob will increase our gas consumption... but at the mo it might work out more efficiant than having to run the immersion too so as to get the water hot enough. I hope!!

[quote author=JAMIE-TYPERV6 link=topic=30510.msg353511#msg353511 date=1305881661]
Yeah Arron... I'm sure the increase in thermstat knob will increase our gas consumption... but at the mo it might work out more efficiant than having to run the immersion too so as to get the water hot enough. I hope!!

[/quote]

Yeah Jamie the boiler is a better job,having the knob turned up will mean it will heat the water faster and therefore turn the boiler off quicker when the pipework up to temp.

Have you motorized valves in your house? If you do and you only need the boiler to heat the cylinder and not the space heating I suggest you turn the termostats to 0, this will mean the boiler will only heat the cylinder and not the rads.
Once up tp 60 deg or so it will take nothing more than 2-3mins for the boiler to top up the heat to 60 deg as hot water is being drawn off around the house for showers etc (obviously depends on how much is used ) Immersion are piles of shite at the best of times

[quote author=Aaron link=topic=30510.msg353509#msg353509 date=1305880836]
i could be wrong but the higher that is the more oil you'll use. mine is on 3 but my hightest is 5

[/quote]

If the house has modern time and temp controls it would not use more oil it would use less as the boiler is heating the system quicker. Alot of houses dont and your just throwing money away

Cheers baz... And JP for the PM!

Gonna give it a shot with thermostat knob on boiler turned up.

At this time of year we have the heating thermostat for the rads at zero so we are only heating the water tank rather than the rads as you suggested. It used to be more efficiant until it was serviced last year and I reckon the service guy turned the thermostat on the boiler down when he was servicing it and never turned it back up agian when finshed as we never had problems prior.

I'll keep ya's posted. :thumbsup:

[quote author=JAMIE-TYPERV6 link=topic=30510.msg353531#msg353531 date=1305895322]

At this time of year we have the heating thermostat for the rads at zero so we are only heating the water tank rather than the rads as you suggested. It used to be more efficiant until it was serviced last year and I reckon the service guy turned the thermostat on the boiler down when he was servicing it and never turned it back up agian when finshed as we never had problems prior.

[/quote]

Good man Jamie at least you have an understanding of it, some people its like talking to a brick wall and every part of heating system is called a boiler

[quote author=baz82 link=topic=30510.msg353534#msg353534 date=1305896413]
[quote author=JAMIE-TYPERV6 link=topic=30510.msg353531#msg353531 date=1305895322]

[/quote]

Good man Jamie at least you have an understanding of it, some people its like talking to a brick wall and every part of heating system is called a boiler
[/quote]

I've had a crash course over the last wee while Baz... hadn't a clue till up until then! :hammerhead:

[quote author=JAMIE-TYPERV6 link=topic=30510.msg353540#msg353540 date=1305900672]
[quote author=baz82 link=topic=30510.msg353534#msg353534 date=1305896413]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I've had a crash course over the last wee while Baz... hadn't a clue till up until then! :hammerhead:
[/quote]

Ah sure your sorted so :thumbsup:

way cheaper to heat with boiler... somthing not right

you can get a grant of 800euro to upgrade you heating controls.. you can have motorised valve and remote stats and different zones cylinder/ground floor/1st floor

[quote author=JAMIE-TYPERV6 link=topic=30510.msg352876#msg352876 date=1305533145]
Lads & ladies,

Anyone know which is more efficient/cost effective...? :dontknow:

Using your central heating to heat your water with the heating thermostat turned to 0 so the rads are off (takes approx 1.5 hours to heat tank) or just using the the immersion (takes about 20mins).

We've been heating our hot water using the gas boiler but it takes fecking ages... whereby the immersion gives you instant hot water in 20 mins.

Cheers,

J...
[/quote]

That can't be right? You should have hot water in 15 - 20 mins with the gas.

If you're using the hot water every mornin'/evenin' it might be cheaper to switch the immersion thermo down 10 degrees and then leave it on 24/7.

When you switch the immersion off the coil goes cold so when it has to heat back up it sucks electricity like a ba*tard but if you're using it a good bit you can leave it on. That way it never has to heat from cold so 1 it doesn't use a shed load of electricity and 2 it'll heat the water quicker when you need it.

Just think of it as a big kettle.

All sorted lads.... I turned the thermostat knob up on gas boiler before the weekend (it goes from 1-6) up to 4... and low and behold we have plenty of lepping hot water now in 30 mins.

Big thanks to all for the help! :thumbsup:

Back