Regreasing Newage STi shocks.

Well lads. I did the regreasing yesterday during my Half hour tea break and they are Great. No knocking at all.

The way I did it. No pictures unfortunately.

Tools I had.

14 mm socket
17 mm socket (I think for removing the top mount nut. I'll check later)
Compressor and Gun.
A Long bar that fit through the bolt holes on the Strut. (To hold the Strut steady while I Broke the nuts on the Strut housing.)
Castrol LM Grease (Lithium based, high melting point grease, specifically designed as a wheel bearing grease for use over a wide range of temperatures. Also suitable for general purpose applications)
Degreaser spray.
WD-40
a few rags
rubber glooves

1. Firstly I removed the nut holding the top mount in place with the 17 mm socket (I think) and the compresser and Gun. Put the mount to one side and put the nut back onto the strut and screw it back on to the strut until it was flush with the top of the strut so as to protect the threads at a later stage. Remove the spring. While you have these parts off you can clean them with WD-40 and the rags.

2. Using the 14mm and the gun again turn the strut over place the long bar through the bolt holes on the strut and placing the top mount nut end onto the gun apply pressure to the strut. I put my legs either side of it on the long bar and sat down. This pressure makes sure you the lugs on the strut stay seated in the housing while you unlock the nut from the strut itself. Once you have the nut of just slide out the strut from the housing. Look inside the housing and at the top you'll see a groove with grease in it. Put your glooves on. Remove all the grease from this area and clean with the degreaser.. Then get the Castrol grease and apply enough grease to groove to fill it. Get the strut now and push it back in so the the bump stop clears the grease with out getting any on it. Now but more grease in around the groove so when you put the strut in further it has grease to push down the inside of the housing. Put grease onto thelower end strut itself also. Push the strut home and rotate it so it sits into its lock groove for screwin the nut back on. You apply a little pressure and routate until you fell it click into position. You turn in so the top mount end again is sitting on the ground and apply pressure to the long bar once again to keep the strut in position while you lock the nut home. With the 14 mm socket and the gun again Lock the nut home.

3. Re-fit the Spring, Dust cover and top mount and lock them home with the 17mm socket and the Gun.

Clean with WD-40.

Job done.

DO you have to retrack the car each time the you take the shocks out! Will the chamber be out?

Theres no camber bolts on the back so no. BUt if you have fitted camber bolts then scribe the bolts and the Suspension so you can fit them back in the same place.

The top bolt will be the camber bolt. Scribe one of them just i case its been changed but I wouldn't say they have. Take it out and if it looks like a normal bolt then it is. If it has an odd shape to part of it its a camber bolt.

I really wouldn't say they've been changed though.

I suppose a quick way to tell would be to look at the bolt heads if their the same then the top one isn't a camber bolt.

Back