recomended products ?

tommy 555

Member Number 935
Well nearly have my garage sorted :icon_headbang: after lowering part of the existing floor and making the ramp suitable for my car (2 low 2 go up old one ) and fixed a leak in the roof i can finally get the car in , alot of work to get into the poxy thing :icon_hang:

biggest problem i have is slight swirl marks in the paint , i got my hands on a orbital polisher but unsure what products will work best to remove these annoyin swirls , also what polish / wax / protection would recomend to use ,

Probably should have just pm'd sweetcakes as i'm sure he would know :doh: but wanna know what everyone else is using :thumbsup:

Cheers lads

the bad weather of late and not been able to clean the fecking thing has it looking bad enough now ,

You know me Nick car has 2 be tidy , goin to paint the calipers 2 so theres a job for you

May book the garage for my baby :icon_grin: she's in dyer need of a good days cleaning :sad:
you still got that paint :thumbsup:

yup paint and brush all it needs is the talent :icon_omg:

Garage be der if ya wanna get in some weekend can work away :thumbsup:

Dont know about talent but i'll give it a go :lol:
cheers Tom i'v a pollisher there so i could give you a hand :thumbsup:

What kind of money do you have to spend on products? Would you prefer to go budget or higher up the price scale?

Cleanyourcar, Polished bliss, Waxamomo, Elite car care and Autobrite are all good reputable places to buy from. Only one I havent used personally is Cleanyourcar but they have a very good reputation like the others.

Be careful with the rotary polisher, it can build up heat very quickly so is easy to do damage the paint. Subaru paint is quite soft as well so you will cut through it fast. I use Menzerna polishes but there are plenty of other options out there. Autoglym SRP is also a very good product, if worked correctly it will provide a light cut and its full of fillers so will mask most of the leftover swirls.

To remove previous layers of wax/polish, you can use meg's stage 1 paint cleaner as its a chemical cleaner. Claying the car will also remove a lot of it but really depends on the products that have been previously applied as to how much is removed.

I use meg's show car glaze on the car but a cheaper alternative is the stage 2 polish (which is actually a glaze) and will sit on top of the SRP before applying the wax.

I'm very fond of dodo juice products, I've a layer of wax on the car now for the last 3 months and its still beading great after the rain. When I wash it, I top the car up with a coat of dodo juice red mist spray on sealant for another layer of protection and its spot on.

dont mean to hijack the thread man but would ya advise using water on the surface every now and then to stop it overheating and burnin thru the paint?
Some people do some dont.... just wondered what your thoughts on the matter where!

[quote author=Hammie link=topic=19040.msg233490#msg233490 date=1257113231]
dont mean to hijack the thread man but would ya advise using water on the surface every now and then to stop it overheating and burnin thru the paint?
Some people do some dont.... just wondered what your thoughts on the matter where!
[/quote]

Professionals that know how to use the machine wouldnt need to use water as they are in full control of it and are able to move the machine around without building up too much heat in one area. If you were to buy a rotary, then you'd be best to pick up a few scrap panels from a salvage yard and learn a technique that works for you before you attack your own car.

I use a Dual action polisher myself, takes longer but produces less heat so is much safer. Will buy myself a rotay at some stage next year and get a few scrap panels to practice on before using it on anyones car

[quote author=MarkC link=topic=19040.msg233492#msg233492 date=1257113295]
I buy all my stuff from this site, delivery is cheap too :smile:

http://www.shinearama.co.uk/
[/quote]

Excelent shipping rates there, might have to break out the credit card :tongue:

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=19040.msg233497#msg233497 date=1257114166]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah i couldnt believe how cheap the delivery rates are, This detailing is expensive, but worth it :icon_lol:

[quote author=MarkC link=topic=19040.msg233508#msg233508 date=1257114900]
[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=19040.msg233497#msg233497 date=1257114166]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah i couldnt believe how cheap the delivery rates are, This detailing is expensive, but worth it :icon_lol:
[/quote]

So expensive!! I've spent hundreds this year so far but fecking love it. So addictive once you get started :lol:

Heard and have been reading some articles about dodo juice , looks the business , anywhere local stock it or am i lookin overseas

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=19040.msg233488#msg233488 date=1257112977]
Be careful with the rotary polisher, it can build up heat very quickly so is easy to do damage the paint. Subaru paint is quite soft as well so you will cut through it fast. I use Menzerna polishes but there are plenty of other options out there. Autoglym SRP is also a very good product, if worked correctly it will provide a light cut and its full of fillers so will mask most of the leftover swirls.
[/quote]

I've a rotary polisher there if you want to use it Tommy. I have to agree with Robbie... they are tricky to use but if you get a good one like the one I have with a good adjustable speed there is little chance of you cutting through the paint. They take a little bit of time to get use to but are great for bringing up dull paint if used with G3 cutting compound as used in body shops with a water spray bottle to keep the paste wet.... it dry's quick and will take layers off quick smart if your not careful! :doh:

It's a handy tool on older cars that are badly faded but I'd be wary using it on newer paint as it's quite harsh at removing layers. I've used em on a few older cars with red paint and it works a treat but you do need a paint depth gauge to check paint depth before you start!

TBH I'd just use good old elbow grease and do it by hand on new paint like your's Tommy! BTW how big is the garage and I'm I right to believe you have yourself a ramp????

[quote author=tommy 555 link=topic=19040.msg233561#msg233561 date=1257151948]
Heard and have been reading some articles about dodo juice , looks the business , anywhere local stock it or am i lookin overseas
[/quote]

UK only job at the moment. I have the Born to be mild shampoo as well, great stuff altogether. I have found the wax is quite durable (3 months now) but as a daily driver over the winter period you might be better with a tin of collinite wax to protect the paint for the winter and then change to dodo juice during the summer

im lucky enough that the car will only be out for meets events or a dry spin on a sunday over the winter months ,

time to find dodo juice online now

Cheers Robbie ,

[quote author=JAMIE-TYPERV6 link=topic=19040.msg233563#msg233563 date=1257152219]
[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=19040.msg233488#msg233488 date=1257112977]
[/quote]

I've a rotary polisher there if you want to use it Tommy. I have to agree with Robbie... they are tricky to use but if you get a good one like the one I have with a good adjustable speed there is little chance of you cutting through the paint. They take a little bit of time to get use to but are great for bringing up dull paint if used with G3 cutting compound as used in body shops with a water spray bottle to keep the paste wet.... it dry's quick and will take layers off quick smart if your not careful! :doh:

It's a handy tool on older cars that are badly faded but I'd be wary using it on newer paint as it's quite harsh at removing layers. I've used em on a few older cars with red paint and it works a treat but you do need a paint depth gauge to check paint depth before you start!

TBH I'd just use good old elbow grease and do it by hand on new paint like your's Tommy! BTW how big is the garage and I'm I right to believe you have yourself a ramp????
[/quote]

As Jamie says, G3 sutting compound will be miles too aggressive for your paint Tommy. You can get something like Meg's scratch X and work it by hand until your arm falls off or if you are adamant about using the rotary, then try something like these:

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=569
or
http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=632

Both of these will remove the defects from your car without much aggro, the P203S is a bit more aggressive but having seen the swirls on your car(light, nothing too deep), either of these would be more than up to the job. I also have both of them at home if you want to call in some day. Or alternatively we could organise a mini-meet at your garage :icon_biggrin:

I want a garage, you jammy git!!! :mooner:

[quote author=JAMIE-TYPERV6 link=topic=19040.msg233563#msg233563 date=1257152219]

[/quote]

Had to dig out the old ramp to the front doors Jamie and also a bit of the floor to get the car in , Garage is build up higher than my back lane so was really steep up to the doors and couldnt get in due to car been lowered and front splitter wanting to dig into the tarmac ,
Havent measured it but is roughly 25foot by 15 or so plenty of room to work around the car

Back