So is my head gasket gone and how much for repair?

Conflicting opinions but all valid.

You cant factor maintenance costs in recouping money from a car, they are a one way spend. What i would weigh up is are you happy with the car and will you be happy to p*ss a few more grand with what you will end up with.

2.5's are a b*tch to sell keep that in mind, even when they are mint, look at Decs wagon.

Noone buys a subaru to save money, thats for sure. You prob know yourself what you really want to do, just go with your gut.

Ah jeazus lads

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

i understand ciaran this will be very fustrating for the op but i dont think many on here understand the heart ache a rebuild can be especially when it doesnt go right and when your told it will cost around 2-3 grand and then at the end of it, it cost 4-5 grand.

the lad is sitting with a car under him worth very little now that he just handed out probably well over 5 grand for in the last 10 months. now he has to decide between spending that again to get back to were he started or cut his loses and hope he gets a few quid towards his new car. its a big decision.

somes lads are just to quick to say sure just fix it.

this lad might need to get a loan on top of the loan he just got for the car!!!!!!

Yea know what you mean Johnny hear all the time of builds swallowing up money usually alot more money than they thought at start.

Tough decision

Few posts back my 10 cents was if you love the car fix it

I still stand by that.

Op get it inspected and take it from there

If you like the car and want to keep it it will cost the guts of 4000 euros to get back on the road .+ the 1000 tax+ 500 for tyres +500 for timing belt + the cost of the car 5000 .

that 11000 he will be into a car that's worth 5000 if you can get a buyer .

If you are willing to keep this car for 3/5 years then yes do the rebuild and spend 3500/4000 if not then cut your losses and sell .

It's a rough idea Dave is all but would be no change out of 3000 by the time it's back on the road is say

Wouldnt need the likes of a crank. Oil modine etc. That normally eats a chunk up when a big end has failed.

About 3 mark be correct.

If wanted to fully address 2.5 issues with pistons, rcm hg and head bolts etc then yes would tip 4.

Open to a power increase i.e. a sti turbo, tgv delete and map so at least will gain a serious nice power increase then in the 5 area.

keith if it was yours would you hand it to someone to fix?

If it was mine and I just put all that into it yes I would fix it
If I liked the car and was going to hold onto it
It might not make sense to fix but hay that's just me.
But it would have to be fixed right not half arsed job.

I really don't know how long EJ engines work on european petrol and in a 'no winter' climate. In Russia (+/- 35 degrees C), about 200,000 km plus\minus all get a rebiuld or upgrade to a bigger capacity, remaining the same tax.
Then, if it is an MT, around 180.000 the gearbox goes to rebuild or replacement, too. Depending on how much the center differential has damaged in the gear box extension.
And inner CV joints don't last forever as well, and drive shafts cost money.

But you know, once you have fixed it, you continue driving having no trouble for another 200k.

Last edited:
Rough Cost wise providing everything is useable as in no damage your looking at removal,strip ,skim ,gaskets , head studs , timing belt and refit engine etc etc your looking at somewhere roughly between 1700/2500
I asked my mate that had this exact issue recently to give his opinion.

Here his 10 cent

97cbf5074b98a1c40f58548a06ed4ccc.jpg

He's in the uk

Yes after head are skimmed. You could judge somewat going by amount was needed to skim.

But thats still not the "text book" correct way of doing it.

If were wanting to gamble then it be the first way joe suggested.

And be area 1400.

But you could have a big end etc knocking a week later.

job

the only way to make a job of it is do the full thing ..full strip .. skim heads and block .. head studs , forged pistons ect .. approx cost 3k ..

Thanks for all of the replies lads. Good to see there is a wealth of knowledge, wisdom and opinions out there.

Whatever I do this is going to cost me a nice bit of money, be it on a repair or on a replacement car. My thought process is currently somewhere in between scrapping it and reclaiming the tax which if I'm lucky will give me €2000 towards a new car vs. doing a proper job and getting it done completely with forged pistons, STi turbo, etc. I was talking to Dave earlier, who was very helpful. He gave me a good idea of the costs involved.

Doing the minimum to get it running doesn't appeal to me as I know I'd just constantly be on edge waiting for it to go.

And what would I get for €5k that is fast and also not a potential money pit. The fact I got a new insurance quote for the Forester of €570 also sways me. Everything else decent seems to be well over €1000 or outright uninsurable due to age of the cars. So then I'd probably be back to something boring if I scrapped the Forester. I do love the Forester as an everyday car due to its pace and ride comfort/handling compromise. I honestly have never been in car that seems to eat shite roads as if they were nothing so well, yet remain fun to drive.

As I was saying to Dave, I'm half way through an Alfa 156 V6 restoration and the €5k on the engine rebuild would definitely get that finished but I never intended using that as an everyday car and i didnt plan on having that done any time soon. And then there is my MR2 which I just bought and was hoping to have as a weekend car while I finished the Alfa (which is going to be a long term project). Would it be very hard to justify taxing and insuring (classic policy) that after spending €5k on an engine rebuild.

So it is spend a lot and have a beastly everyday car but not really be able to do the MR2/Alfa thing vs. scrap it, have a boring everyday car but still be able to afford my weekend MR2 and Alfa project.

Last edited:
Back