painting brake calipers

marksscooby

Petrolheads
what you do first is clean the calipers back to the bare metal to make sure its clean for painting with a drill and steel wool bit or a wire brush. i used the drill with the steel bit.

first clean it down to get ready for painting, the mistake i made here was the caliper was not clean enough so the paint chipped off so i had to clean it properly this time

Picture.jpg

Picture004.jpg

then i gave it the first coat, using simoniz high temp paint and i used holts white for the subaru logo i done 3 coats in total

Picture010.jpg

Picture005.jpg

this pic is the caliper painted and the subaru logo done i used a kitchen roll holder and cut it and used the rough side and sprayed the white paint on to the holder and pressed against the subaru logo and it done the job fine i used 3 coats on this too

Picture008.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Picture006.jpg

rear

Picture003.jpg

Picture004-1.jpg

Top job any spray job is only as good as the prep looks sweet
I like the first pic with no paint and and just clear coat them :clap:

Looks well mark :thumbsup: im thinking of doing my own soon. They are already red would i have to remove the existing paint altogether to get the best finish do you think? I bought stick on decals for the rear calipers off ebay for a fiver aswell supposed to be high temp resistant

[quote author=20VBZR link=topic=11079.msg132283#msg132283 date=1227731927]
Looks well mark :thumbsup: im thinking of doing my own soon. They are already red would i have to remove the existing paint altogether to get the best finish do you think? I bought stick on decals for the rear calipers off ebay for a fiver aswell supposed to be high temp resistant
[/quote]

i asked my brother he works in a garage he said you would have to clean it back to the bare metal as i done in 2nd pic to get a good finish i wanted to put laquer on mine but the motor factors told me not to as it chips away is this true?? anyone here use laquer on calipers :ponder2:

you could just use a shinyer red, that would work.
I just used left over standard spray paint on mine, there holding out well, even after a trip to mondello

Its a dam good job, looks the dogs nuts. And clever idea for painting the subaru logo. If i was doing mine though i'd want the subaru logo on the back re done.

Do those high temp subaru stickers on ebay work?

just looking @ you calipers there..on one subaru reads from top to bottom on the other from bottom to top ..are they all like that?

yes I think so Dagnut. One wheel is the front and the other is the back.

[quote author=Dagnut link=topic=11079.msg151378#msg151378 date=1233583587]
just looking @ you calipers there..on one subaru reads from top to bottom on the other from bottom to top ..are they all like that?
[/quote]

i didnt notice it until you said it now :icon_lol: i dont know if there all like that

[quote author=AndyC link=topic=11079.msg151380#msg151380 date=1233584164]
yes I think so Dagnut. One wheel is the front and the other is the back.
[/quote]

would it have 4 pots in the back??

NO normally 2 pots on the back....

now this has me thinking :lol: :lol:

They are all like that. Its so the writing is readable whatever side of the car you are on. :thumbsup:

Good job Mark, i did mine last week only i took mine off completley, stripped them down, shotblasted them then sprayed them. A lot of effort but passed a few hours........... :thumbsup:

048.jpg

049.jpg

Back